• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1010 12volt conversion prep, updated duvac wiring?

leisman7

please help, m1010 12volt conversion prep, updated duvac wiring?

I'm currently in the process of a major overhaul of the engine and electrical. At this time I'm prepping to conduct a 12 volt conversion that user Chevymike conducted on his m1010 in which he removed the duvac and wires but kept the brown and white ignition wires splicing them together.

My system was modified prior to my ownership. Currently, One 24volt alt is being utilized with an updated duvac to charge the system.

I'm attempting to locate the brown and white ignition wires. I located the brown ignition wire that is one of four wires currently located on the duvac. I peeled the electrical tape off the wiring that was running to the duvac and located three more wires, appearing to have been cut back. The cut wires are as follows: one black in color, one yellow in color and one white in color.

Is this the white wire that I need to splice the brown ignition wire to? Please advise if it's ok to remove all other duvac wiring. I'm going expose the entire vehicles wiring harness and do away with all un-needed wires.
k12.jpgk14.jpg

Last edited:

leisman7

This is the conversion I referenced by chevymike

So in my other thread regarding checking the 24 volt system and the DUVAC, I found the upper alternator was bad and only putting out 10-11 volts and that assumes the DUVAC is actually working, which there is really no test for those. For my use, I have zero need for any 24 volt system and the glow plugs relay had already been converted to a 12 volt style prior to me. My quest to convert to 12 volts began.

With the help of my best friend, who is an auto electrical tech working on emergency/command post type vehicles, we set out to figure what wires needed to be kept, what we could remove and what we needed to add. We studied in detail, the TM wiring diagrams and figured out all the wiring to the lower alternator is unneeded. We also found a majority of the DUVAC wires could be removed. Since much of this is loomed into the engine harness on the back of the engine, we decided to cut back and "stub" the unneeded wires and sealed those ends and taped them up. We did find we could keep a positive (RED-2B) and negative (BLK-151F) wire (that went to the DUVAC) long so I would have a nice feed on the driver side should I ever need this. We also found we needed to tie the brown wire (BRN-39G) to the white wire (WHT-103C) which would in turn be the switched ignition to the new alternator. Since we were joining these, we ran a stub pink wire and bundled it with the black and red so I would have a switched source should I ever need it.

This basically took care of the main modifications needed and focused on the main power leads from the batteries and single alternator. Prior to all the wiring, I swapped the 24 volts starter to a newer gear reduction 12 volt style. This also meant I needed the starter bracket for this style starter. Luckily a Chevy dealer in town had it in stock! Overall that took time but was fairly easy to do. Then it was time to remove both of the old 24 volt alternator and put the new 12 volt in in the upper mounting spot, as it's easier to get to. Then it was simply wiring a new 12 volt + lead to the power block and the two batteries in parallel.

Now one thing I did would prevents one battery (which could have a bad cell or short out) from killing the other battery is I added a heavy duty solenoid between the +12 front battery cable and the power block on the firewall. It is wired so when you turn the key on, it will connect the front battery to the system as if the two batteries are parallel but when the key is off, it disconnects the front battery from the system. This just adds an extra level of safety should one battery have a problem and not drain the whole system down.

I also picked up a new 12 volt gauge to put into the stock location of the 24 volt one. Just had to modify the dash mount to remove an unneeded bracket. I used the pigtail off the old gauge and changed the connectors for the new one. This way I can still remove the dash and unplug the gauge just like the 24 system was.

Okay, enough talk and onto the pictures! Hope this helps someone else should they want to do the same.

Start with removal of upper and lower alternator (after disconnecting the batteries)

Remove the old 24 volt starter

New 12 volt gear reduction starter... shiny

Old large starter bracket and new gear reduction starter bracket

New starter all mounted up

DUVAC removed

Peeling back the DUVAC harness, which had been modified before when the "orange wire" conversion was done

Here are the brown and white wires cut back and to be joined. This is where we also placed a pink switched ignition lead for future use

New 12 volt, 200 amp, J-180 style mount alternator

Much cleaner without all the DUVAC wires

Blue Sea ultra heavy duty, sealed battery solenoid (300 amps continuous, 2000 amps surge)

Bracket on backside of dash where the stock 24 volt gauge goes. Needed to trim this off so an aftermarket screw flange mount 12 volt gauge can be mounted

Gauge I got a Kragen

Using the original pigtail off the old gauge and swapping it over to spade connectors. I did this as my friend had to leave and took all of the good connector and shrink tubing.

Gauge mounts and showing 12 volts with the engine off. I was able to use the original gauge light that pushed into the new gauge. Made that really easy

Well that is basically it. Starts right up, charging at 14.4 volts, all the lights work, even the black out lights. I documented the printed TM diagrams and will go through and make the changes and print out an updated diagram.

leisman7

I'm at a loss with how to go about the 12 volt conversion. I have studied the wiring diagrams however my wiring set up appears to be different due to the modification implemented prior to my ownership. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

chevymike

The white wire should trace all the way back to the alternator. The brown wire at the DUVAC is the one that will splice into that white wire. I have a modified wiring diagram from the TSM that shows what we did on my rig. I can email it to you if you PM me your address.

If you haven't been able to fix your truck yet there is a really easy way to get a working charging system and still have useable 12v power for accessories. Look up the thread M1010 DUVAC Removal Plan B.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks