• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt charging system

Gunzy

I'm thinking about putting a 12 volt stand alone charging system and battery in my M923 to power standard automotive things. Has anyone ever done this? I don't see where it would be very hard to do. The toughest part would be mounting the alternator on the engine somewhere. The wiring, gauge, and warning light would be easy as would a battery because I only run 2 so a third stand alone is no problem. I think I may be able to do it for less or about the same as a DC converter would cost. What are your thoughts on this?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several have done that on the deuce so I would think it similar. I did my deuce by using one original belt for the 24V alt in the stock location and building a bracket for the 12V alt above it. The second belt groves are used for that alt with an appropriate sized belt.

6x6guy

I have on several times in the past installed 160 amp, 12 volt alternators on other 2.5 ton trucks, and have recently picked up a couple of 5 ton trucks and have been looking at installing the same type of setup for my 3500 lb crane that I recently installed on one of the M923a2.
I was debating on changing it over to a hydraulic assisted version since I have added a pto driven hydraulic driven system and adding a winch from a M925- but I'am still sitting on the fence on this one - it has a couple of pros and cons on both systems. :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks