• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intake/exhaust port CFM flow? Porting the heads? Tech babble.

tim292stro

And there is a valve in the blower housing to allow higher intake pressure from a turbo to bypass the blower. Best way to get the most out of a 2-stroke DD was to get bigger MUI injectors (for non-DDEC), piston liners with bigger intake ports, tossing the after-cooler, putting in an extremely low pressure bypass valve in the blower (so the turbo didn't have to fight the blower), good cams, and huge fr1ggen turbo. Then you just had to worry if you had a "silver" block with more metal in the heads, which tend to heat soak and burn up...

Interestingly the older GM-EMD 576, 645, and the newer 710 2-strokes (still made!) used either roots-type blowers, or a turbo compressor - a turbo that is the reverse purpose of a turbo-shaft engine, where the turbo-compressor is driven by the engine's shaft to operate as a "blower" when the exhaust pressure was too low to add bost, and then with an overspeed clutch would be turned by the exhaust turbine at higher revs and load to function as a true turbocharger.

Blowers:
EMD-V12-645.jpg

Turbo-compressor:
EMD-Turbo-V20-710.jpg

Always loved the sound of those BIG turbo'd 2-stokes... I think they sound "mean" [thumbzup]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFVJ9Lhhm0I

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last edited:

rustystud

Detroit Diesel
Two strokes and Higgins boats
One may find this interesting

View attachment 737977

Also is this slated to go into the Bradley Fighting Vehicle upgrade?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oppAkM8H_kU

google search.................
advanced combat engine (ACE);
DARPA;
TARDEC;
Junkers Ju Mo;
Achates Cummins
That is a great article on GM diesels Frank ! Having worked on the 71 series I too can testify to it's durability and power output. To bad "fuel emission standards" finally killed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks