• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

mtullis

Got my Sf97 and went to my local tag office to get my tag and title. I was told (after two calls to the state) that the state of Georgia doesn't register or tag BMY trucks "because they where made for the government".
Is this true or some fool at the DMV that doesn't know what there talking about?
Is there a way to register it in Georgia?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm having the same issue...as is a good friend of mine.

BMY or Harsco was not listed in the local DMV data base so they sent a request to Atlanta to have it added since we have the SF97's from the government.
Also, both trucks (one M923 and one M934) do not have 17 digit VINs and DMV just cannot get it thru their heads that it's NOT a VIN but a SERIAL NUMBER!!

I have a tag/title feller working on it because I just knew I would get locked up when I inevitively blue a gasket and went off like a Chinese firework!!

So...hasn't anyone EVER LEAGALLY titled a BMY Harsco truck in GA?? I KNOW they are out there....er...here.??

I heard...or read...honestly don't remember which, that someone in GA registered an M923 as a Chevrolet?? Well, that would not set right with me, PLUS...where did the extra numbers come from to make a 17 digit VIN??

Last edited:

mtullis

I'm having the same issue...as is a good friend of mine.

BMY or Harsco was not listed in the local DMV data base so they sent a request to Atlanta to have it added since we have the SF97's from the government.
Also, both trucks (one M923 and one M934) do not have 17 digit VINs and DMV just cannot get it thru their heads that it's NOT a VIN but a SERIAL NUMBER!!

I have a tag/title feller working on it because I just knew I would get locked up when I inevitively blue a gasket and went off like a Chinese firework!!

So...hasn't anyone EVER LEAGALLY titled a BMY Harsco truck in GA?? I KNOW they are out there....er...here.??

I heard...or read...honestly don't remember which, that someone in GA registered an M923 as a Chevrolet?? Well, that would not set right with me, PLUS...where did the extra numbers come from to make a 17 digit VIN??
The VIN/Serial Number is no problem, you need a T22B "Certificate of Inspection".

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The VIN/Serial Number is no problem, you need a T22B "Certificate of Inspection".
Of course you do...and we do....along with an "etching" of the serial # on the plate...AND a GOOD picture of the data plate, AND a picture of the truck.

I'm thinking we will give the title feller til Wednesday, or maybe Friday to get some action.
If no joy, I just might take the paperwork and load the M934 on the landoll (and flatten the tires again for height w/permit) and haul her to Atlanta DMV and sorta get "up close and personal".

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Does GA title any vehicle manufactured before 1981?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number
No DH, they won't ISSUE a title for anything older than 1985(?) unless you have a title from another state etc.

The trucks we have are both 1992 year models and require a title.

I'm told there has been a big change around of personnel in Atlanta (I know there has been in our local DMV). I think it's just a matter of finding the right person who knows what they are doing.:(

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does GA title any vehicle manufactured before 1981?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number
Yes and No.

As others said, 1986 and newer vehicles are required to have a title.

If you have a 1950-something to 1985 vehicle, they will issue a title if you already have one (previous owner, SF97, etc.). They'll tell you it's optional because the DMV doesn't want to do the additional work, but they'll do it. clintogf and I have gotten a title for every single deuce we got from GL.

The old stuff they won't issue a title for, even if you already have one. Went through this with our M38A1.

Gunzy

In 1998 I purchased a '68 Shelby out of Ga. and it came to me on "Bill of Sale" only. That caused me some headaches at my Utah DMV when they required a title. Had to get a copy of the Ga. law to get them to accept the Bill of Sale" to license and title the car. So I feel for you guys, sure a pain in the a$$.

mtullis

I'm guessing this is what the state is going to tell us.:confused:

§ 40-7-3. "Off-road vehicle" defined

As used in this chapter, the term "off-road vehicle" means any motorized vehicle designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, snow, ice, marsh, swampland, or other natural terrain and not intended for use predominantly on public roads. The term includes, but is not limited to, four-wheel drive vehicles, low-pressure tire vehicles, two-wheel vehicles, nonhighway tire vehicles, amphibious machines, ground effect or air cushion vehicles, and any other means of transportation deriving power from any source other than muscle or wind. The term shall exclude any motorboat; any military, fire, law enforcement, or other government vehicle being used for official purposes; any vehicles used exclusively on airports; all farm machinery, farm tractors, and other vehicles used exclusively for agricultural purposes; any self-propelled equipment for harvesting and transportation of forest products, for clearing land for planting, for utility services and maintenance, for earth moving, construction, or mining; and self-propelled lawnmowers, snowblowers, garden or lawn tractors, or golf carts, while such vehicles are being used exclusively for their designed purposes.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1976, p. 330, § 3; Ga. L. 2010, p. 98, § 1-1/HB 207; Ga. L. 2012, p. 726, § 4/HB 795.

TehTDK

Mtullis,

I think you are wrong because the legal text says the following: " and not intended for use predominantly on public roads. ". I would think a Deuce and other military vehicles are actually intended to be used predominantly on public roads, but that they can also tackle offroad if they have to.

mtullis

Mtullis,

I think you are wrong because the legal text says the following: " and not intended for use predominantly on public roads. ". I would think a Deuce and other military vehicles are actually intended to be used predominantly on public roads, but that they can also tackle offroad if they have to.

I'm Hopefully I am wrong, but the Georgia DMV will only see "Big truck used to help kill people and run over stuff in the jungle / desert". I see a truck equal in size to a dump truck, with ABS, turn signals and parking/headlights lights.

zout

Guess you never saw the interior of my RV 109 box mounted on the arse of the M909 - clearly an RV full mode expeditionary unit.

DMV only know what they have been trained to do (similar like monkeys) they are not allowed to think for themselves nor make any logical decisions by themselves. The personnel I have dealt with have had to be taught by bringing the truck to site and it was all I had to do to get them outside of their "safety" area to even look - once that was over with one lady finally has been an absolute blessing to deal with - so if all fails on one of the two units PB is talking about is mine.

We'll just see how this all plays out and hopefully be able to help others here getting one in GA in the near future.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm Hopefully I am wrong, but the Georgia DMV will only see "Big truck used to help kill people and run over stuff in the jungle / desert". I see a truck equal in size to a dump truck, with ABS, turn signals and parking/headlights lights.
I do not see this as being the issue. So far, it's just been "That truck manufacturer is not listed in our system and a 1992 year model MUST have 17 digits in the VIN".
My title feller is SUPPOSED to have some sorta answer today. I'll update later today.:(

Last edited:

zout

OK - so I will ask the question - I can think of at least a couple folks here in Ga that have BMY units and in this year range - why are they not speaking up on how they have them titled ??

mtullis

When my local tag office called atlanta to get them to add BMY to there list of truck they said "We don't tag or title BMY truck because they only made trucks for the Military/ Government and were never designed for on road use".
I think if we can get to the right person at the Georgia DMV with a brain (if there is one) we can get it done.:naner:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say it but, they are correct.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I hate to say it but, they are correct.
Yes, they are correct. I've done extensive searches on BMY/Harsco (aren't ya proud of me DH??) and they ONLY cater to the military with these trucks.

This is where the common sense is going to have to come into play.
I can title an AMG, Jeep, International etc., military truck 800series with no problem since they make non-military stuff too.

The 900 series is a more "civilianized" truck with better safety features etc., so the GA DMV is just gonna have to bend a little and use that common sense approach and make another category or simply title/register these trucks in the "other" category!!

We'll just have to see how much hades has to be raised to get there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks