• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front tires on M923

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone put larger (width not diameter) front tires on a 923 basic? I like the dual 11.00's on the back but would like to change to a better "flotation" tire on the front.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can find an online tire diameter calculator and see which wider tire will have the same diameter. If the singles clear everything no problem I would think you can go wider but I dont know how much on that rim though.
Will

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on going wider on my newly acquired m925, I like the duals on the back also. I think Junkyard wars Deuce has that set up and I thought it looked pretty cool.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I can tell, the 14.50 x 20 is very close to the same height of 11.00 x 20. So to put them on the front, I would need the wheels from the 14.00 and then two 14.50 x 20 tires. Bobbing an A2 might be in my future.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumped this back in hopes someone has seen 14.5 X 20 front tires (or equal) on a 923 (925) basic with dual 11.00's.

emr

Deuce guys have done this allot, me too with a few types of fronts in the past, the 5 ton guys are just getting to the saturation point of deuce ownership, So more like this will happen in time, I will add i am all for the look of wider fronts and deuls in back, its the best of the best i think. So far with my 925 I have a set of NDT;s a set of G177s and the 1400s Mich, and Good year, in storage, I like to change em up now and again, I did sell off the NDTS, because by the time I rotate to them they will be old :) Personally I would like a set of 1400 NDTS in front with 1100s in rear, to me thats the coolest, I do love NDTs .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I can tell, the 14.50 x 20 is very close to the same height of 11.00 x 20. So to put them on the front, I would need the wheels from the 14.00 and then two 14.50 x 20 tires. Bobbing an A2 might be in my future.
Yes they are the same O.D.. But in order to run 14.5's (or their metric equivalent size 365/80R20) you will need M35A3 wheels and have them recentered.

14.5R20 /A3 wheels are the European MPT style. DO NOT MOUNT AND RUN MPT-tires on stock M939A1 /A2 wheels: bead flanges are different and not compatible!!

G.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tacozilla, what did you do for 22.5" wheels, use super singles from a semi? Thanks for the photo comparison. It looks like you used them all the way around (your 923 is bobbed isn't it?).

Thanks Gringeltaube, the rim information is exactly what I was looking for... even though it is not what I wanted to hear. Do you happen to know what is different (about the flange) since they are both 20? Seems going to an M35A3 wheel would take enlarging the center and drilling ten holes. I think I have seen a 10 lug with those tires that guys modify with a plate, going the other direction ....to 6 lug. Is that called a "combat rim" or am I wrong.

350TacoZilla

yeah its bob'd in that photo but I did have the fronts on while truck was still full size (when I was having problem of it sinking in soft field). The front wheels are the proper width ones from a cement truck that was also budd style wheels, the rears in that photo are just jammed on stock width semi wheels so they wouldnt be safe to run like that I just needed to get it rollable since I sold the 11r20's and didnt have my new wheels yet. I only have one picture of it with tires on it like that but seems I already pulled bed by that point lol

Attachments

TacticalDoc

Does it matter if the front tires are larger? It will only matter when you flip it on to all wheel drive which you will only need in mud. And, in mud it wont matter if the larger front tires spin faster. Or is my thinking wrong?

350TacoZilla

In a low traction situation like mud it wouldnt be a big deal but as soon as one tire got grip it could turn into parts everywhere. The sheer weight and power of these trucks would make for an unforgiving setup if that happened as it would be a sudden shock load to axles,transfer case,transmission etc. I would say unless it was a offroad only vehicle or purpose built mud racers you should run same height tires all around.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I move a lot of dirt/materials cross country/agriculture fields type of driving and the 14.5's have been a great addition to my truck equipped with 1100's on the rear drives. The front end doesn't sink as much as it did with 1100 fronts on soft terrain.

1100R20 043.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11Echo, What wheels do you use for the 14.5's? A lot (I think about 95 lots of 4) of 395's just sold on GL at Ohio but they are taller than the 14.5 and 365's. My guess is...the rim they are mounted on would have worked for the 923 but with metric tires. I am resisting going to 22.5, yet may have to or re-machine the metric Deuce rim for my bolt and center. What did you do?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11Echo, What wheels do you use for the 14.5's? A lot (I think about 95 lots of 4) of 395's just sold on GL at Ohio but they are taller than the 14.5 and 365's. My guess is...the rim they are mounted on would have worked for the 923 but with metric tires. I am resisting going to 22.5, yet may have to or re-machine the metric Deuce rim for my bolt and center. What did you do?
I posted pic of my deuce tipper to show that 14.5's are a good match for 1100's. I have been running this combination for a few years now. The wheels are MLVW. I've seen 14.5's mounted on 5 ton combat wheels and they look to be a good match also,(Sam Winer's have them for sale on his lot). Tire pic not the best comparison to actual size but close. Michelin lists both of these tires at 482 revolutions per mile. http://militarytires.com/

Picture 007.jpgbed 005.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea 11Echo, that would be the combination I'd like to put together on my 925. Nice practical truck you have there.

I have not found a 10 lug for the 5 ton that I'm sure will fit with the 14.5 tire. Are you suggesting a 5 ton combat rim would fit properly? Please read Gringeltaube above and give me your thoughts. I'm not sure if the 14.5 and metric equal 365 take the same rim. I'm missing something and can't put my finger on it.

Anyway, thanks for pics that show the combination on your Deuce, I like it

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is that "metric" (MPT) rims are needed for the 14.5R20 and 365/80/20 (which are the only tires with equal revolutions/mile to 11.00/20). And the only rim that they fit is the A3 that is the MPT metric deuce rim. The beads are different and there is a very slight diameter difference. Thus to use military tires, I have to machine out A3 wheels to fit the 925 10 lug pattern and center. I really had hoped NOT to have to do that. Or the alternative is 22.5 and get away from military. Standard A1 or A2 wheels are known as "industrial" and do not fit the beads of the metric tires. To complicate it more, the industrial tire can go on the deuce metric rim (but not the other way around). Is that clear as mud? Thanks, Toby

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks