• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model trailer is this?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reflector is US for sure, I can't tell if the BO stop lamp is WWII (round) or M-series (round with 6 screws protruding). It looks WWII.

Artisan

Under 300 bux seems like a bargain to me for an independent suspension cool lil trailer. For ships and giggles what do the tires say for a mfg and size?

656owner

Just towed it home. Tires have (USMC) ( 6PLY NDCC 7.00-16 Truck Type ) (General tire & Rubber CO.) (Military R.S 1951)
The Tail lights have 6 screws--Reflectors have square nut.
Tongue stand is froze up and tail gate is froze up and failing off. Sprayed all with penitrating oil.
#'s on rim EX-31568-21-w1
No tags.

Attachments

656owner

The right tire cap came off during my 2 hour drive home.
I need to locate two replacement tires and a 3rd rim for a spare.

So 6 screws protruding is M series? Who ever put the 4x4 front end under it did a excellent job in my opinion.
Besides the pintle hitch and M151 front end the entire trailer is aluminum.
Half inch steel rod was pin for tail gate hinge, rusted up were it snapped flush (see photo) and other side broke off at welds.
If this is a one of kind prototype trailer I'll want to restore it as it was.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks mil through and through. The suspension is M151 front. So that dates it after 1960. Has to be a prototype, as that is likely the only one on the planet. It would appear to be a general cargo trailer, to possibly replace the M100.

656owner

I had a piece of 1/2 steel rod ordered to replace the rusted damaged rod that was the hinge for the tailgate. And the aluminum hinge pieces need to be welded back on.
Mounted some different tires and now found that the rims are aluminum.

Last edited:

656owner

This is the trailer unit for the XM384 3/4-Ton, 8x8 cargo truck. The truck was designed and built, based on the Ford M151 MUTT (there was also a 1/2-ton 6x6 version, the XM408, of which about four were built and tested). Neither vehicle went into mass production.

There was only one XM384 constructed, along with this trailer. The truck itself was converted into an amphibious test version so it's most likely that the trailer is the only one in existence.

Attachments

Last edited:

656owner

What you Value a one of a kind prototype trailer at?

I just learned that my odd looking aluminum military trailer is a one of a kind experimental trailer that was built for the XM384 at the Detroit Arsenal in 1957.
What would you say its worth? I may look at donateing it to a museum. (In a few years)

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least a Gazzillion dollars. ;-)

Who knows the value. I would say at least $1000. Now if you had the jeep to go along with it..................

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck finding a museum that wants it. Problem is, with display space at a premium, most museums do not want prototypes that did not enter development. The only story the trailer tells is what cool things were under development in the trailer dept at TACOM in the late 50's.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bad thing is that one-off or rare military vehicles really don't bring a lot of cash.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you know how much it weighs, you can figure out the minimum $ it's worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks