• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

some 5 tons at work

chess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4fvB3-8jUA

heres a video of my brother and dad going up in their m923 5 tons the first one is an a1 and the second is an a2. and notice how their considerably lower geared than stock even with 16r20 tires. sorry for my dumb little laughs but i love 5 tons. i dont see my self ever driving anything else like a peterbilt for work. this video was shot this morning at a windmill job next to mojave. the hill was very wet and muddy. and has alot of clay. hope you enjoy i will try to take more.

theres something about 5 tons maybe their weight and the minimal suspension hop design makes them crawling up steep hills way better than any paystar or peterbilt with hendrickson suspension. if our 5 tons dont make it up a hill the petes dont have a chance.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting. Some great scenery up there. What do you mean, geared lower than stock? Have you swapped 3rd members with bridge trucks?
Your drivers know exactly what they are doing. My complements to them.

chess

Well there's not too many details that I can tell you we had the guy who built the tank and plumbing. Fit it on there that was in 2005. My truck is an a2 also it's on top of the hill the one with an international cab. For the people that say 16r20s hurt these trucks they don't. They don't have any clearance issues only when you turn right they rub slightly on the steering box arm only when the suspension is flexing.

I wish I had videos or atleast pics of my brother and I going up 75% grades last year in jawbone canyon. Simply amazing trucks.

Last edited:

tcdent

Hey chess, do you wire in the Freightliner, etc instruments or use the 5 ton's gauge cluster? Would be neat to see interior pictures with the modifications you make.

chess

Hey chess, do you wire in the Freightliner, etc instruments or use the 5 ton's gauge cluster? Would be neat to see interior pictures with the modifications you make.
The only freightliner gauges that work are the air pressure, voltage. The water temp and oil pressure are aftermarket and separate. We put the original 5 ton tach. It's the same size as the factory. Freightliner one. So is the speedo but the cables went bad on them and we never fixed them.

jwaller

Maybe a locker or two would help you guys out. Just a thought, btw cool video and great use of surplus equipment keep um rolling.

i put a pair in my 818 and it made a world of difference.

Last edited:

chess

Maybe a locker or two would help you guys out. Just a thought, btw cool video and great use of surplus equipment keep um rolling.
We tried lockers since some of the trucks come with them but. They break axles too easy with 32000+ pounds of water. Also the bullring gears bolts break very easy.

chess

how do the 916s fair?
One has a 3208 cat with a 653 allison we don't use that one any more. And the other one which is the one I'm driving right now has a 350 big cam 4 cummins. 654 allison and a 55000 series transfercase. They run good but for steep climbs. I struggle far less with a 5 ton.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super cool. If you guys have to navigate this terrain like this, how are they getting the windmill structures in? I know those blades can be 200 ft long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks