• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new toy ..... m1070 HET

goodguyzy

I don't know what rules your talking about, I have a class A and there are exceptions to the rule, but if you drive the truck off the lot you better have at least a class b.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont need to have a cdl. You only need a cdl if you are making money with it.

Just a driver lic and hmv plates
The curb weight of the HET is 41,000 and per the CDL rules listed below you may want to look into this before you get stopped. I hate to bust your bubble, I got this from the WI DOT Site: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/apply/types/cdl.htm

Commercial driver licenses (CDL) are required to operate vehicles that:
•Weigh over 26,000 pounds, determined by the highest of the following weights: ◦manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)
◦manufacturer’s gross combination weight rating (GCWR) when the towed unit has a GVWR, registered weight or actual gross weight over 10,000 pounds
◦actual weight
◦registered weight

•Carry hazardous materials that require placarding under federal law.
•Are designed or used to carry 16 or more persons including the driver (buses and some school buses).

There are federal and state regulations governing the operation of commercial motor vehicles.

Last edited:

Craig A Tull

Don't know about WI but in Texas all you have to do is register it as a farm truck and anyone can drive anything. Also there are exceptions for rec. vehicles, why grandpa can tool down the road in his class A motor home with a class C license.
Craig A Tull

montecarlo31

So at the risk of bumping a older thread, I'll do it. I've been toying with buying a 6x6 Peterbilt / KW for a build I've been working on but the M1070 seems to fit the bill, at a much cheaper price, ready to roll with the exception of three concerns:
1. Top speed, can it hit 65-70 mph (some say yes some say now)? I'm hoping to be able to average 60 mph interstate while still being able to go overland with it.
2. Fuel economy, 1.2 is dismal however I figure this is pulling at 200K lbs, I've also read 4-5 mpg. 4-5 wouldn't concern me as your average C-12 is only going to knock down about 5-6. 1 mpg difference is nill in my book for what you are getting. For reference our haul trucks are getting about 4 mpg so even 1.2 mpg is not shocking giving the lack of available gears in this unit.
3. I forgot what my 3rd was now so I will have to come back to it.

If you can provide any insight into the above questions it would be exceptionally helpful.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There was a thread just a few days ago that had ways to increase the top speed but they all seemed to involve a lot of work and some degree of danger to the double breasted Driptroit engine. If you are buying a HETT with speed or fuel mileage in mind you are backing up.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the stock transmission (direct drive), transfer case (direct drive), axles (7.36:1), and tires (16R20), 60 MPH would be 2950 RPM, and 70 MPH would be 3450 RPM. According to the TM, the 8V92 in the 1070 should be governed to 2225 RPM. Mine seems to be governed to that.

Fuel economy isn't too bad - its about 4 MPG unloaded.

montecarlo31

There was a thread just a few days ago that had ways to increase the top speed but they all seemed to involve a lot of work and some degree of danger to the double breasted Driptroit engine. If you are buying a HETT with speed or fuel mileage in mind you are backing up.
Looking.....Fuel economy at 4-5 isn't a concern fuel economy at 1 is. As to fabbing I've got a pretty deep bench to utilize.

You are the man...Thanks. I'm getting to reading after this post.

With the stock transmission (direct drive), transfer case (direct drive), axles (7.36:1), and tires (16R20), 60 MPH would be 2950 RPM, and 70 MPH would be 3450 RPM. According to the TM, the 8V92 in the 1070 should be governed to 2225 RPM. Mine seems to be governed to that.

Fuel economy isn't too bad - its about 4 MPG unloaded.
Sounds like either skip it, swap the trans or swap the transfer case. Interesting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks