• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom Box Body for Unimog or similar??

SimpleSimon

Hi guys, first time poster here!
I'm looking to get hold of a unimog U1300l sometime in the (hopefully near) future that i can convert into an all-terrain expedition motorhome. My first step will have to be the construction and fitting of a custom built box body. This is the only part of the project i dont have the skills or equipment to do myself, so I've already produced some CAD diagrams for an outside company to go by and build me a box. My question is, has anybody here had similar work carried out, and how much were you charged? Mine would be plywood faced GRP/Fiberglass on some sort of metalwork frame, rather than alloy or anything like that. Obviously I can get quotes from the companies I know will carry out this kind of work, but I dont want to get too carried away just yet and I'm looking to make up a rough overall budget for my project.
Thanks for any useful info!
Simon

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! The well of knowledge here is bottomless- use it to your full advantage!

Have you looked at using a communication shelter?

Opie

Simon,

First, welcome!
Second, look here: http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog.htm . This fellow is on your side of the Pond and can probably help you with the MOT and all sorts of other things that are unfamiliar to us Yanks. He's REALLY given his Unimog a workout by driving it to Tibet and a few other distant places. If anyone can answer a question, he can. He also goes through his building process and rationale step-by-step and includes his own CAD materials.

Good luck on your project,

Opie

SimpleSimon

Thanks for the replies and welcomes folks!
Ferroequinologist - I had looked into using a comms box for my camper, but I dont think there are many about for Mogs with enough headroom to really work out for me. I'd want to have standing room, and I've also incorporated a slightly raised main seating/dining area into my intial plans, the extra elevation above the floor would give slightly better views, and cunningly allow a big storage area underneath. I'll look into some radio boxes for other vehicles though, if I could find one with the right dimensions I'm sure it could be modified for a Mog chasis.
Thanks Opie for the link, I found that site a couple of days ago, and I've already 'borrowed' several of the ideas there. I think the webmaster is selling his rig soon, I've seen it advertised on a seperate site somewhere. It won't be coming to me, sadly, but I've sent a sufficiently grovelling email today, and I'm hoping he'll be able to share a little advice.

Have fun!
Simon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks