• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 electric fuel pump problems

001CUCV

So my mechanical fuel pump was leaking and engine was running rough. I went out and bought the airtex E8153 fuel pump kit I saw on a thread here. got an inline small fuel filter from autozone (clear plastic one) cut out the metal fuel line on the frame by the tank, installed the filter and then the pump, and a shut off valve after the pump. ran new 3/8 fuel hose to the filter housing (on the right side the higher on the 2 ports) got it wired up to the ignition with a toggle switch to control power to it. Now heres the problem. when I turn the key the pump comes on, I can hear it running. But the clear fuel filter between it and the tank stays empty. I tried opening the vent knob on the top of the filter base and it pumped all the diesel that was in the filter out the little hose off the left side, and then just was blowing air out. Anyone got an idea what might be wrong with the set up? The tank is full of fuel, you can see a little of it just looking down the fill tube. Also for now I left the old mechanical pump on, I will be taking it off soon and putting on a blocker plate. And I Have the new filter base from napa I will be installing when I get the chance. Any ideas are apericated, really want to get this thing running and back into the garage before it rains, shes toppless right now :D

francisf16

Have you tried to start the engine without turning on the electric pump? If it starts, you might have put the electric pump on the return line instead of the feed line.

MarcusOReallyus

Those small clear fuel filters are pretty restrictive. I've never tried to use one with diesel, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just too restrictive.

First thing I'd do is bypass that filter and see if your pump will pull some fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks