• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1970 Unimog needs canvas top

DavisM38

I just purchased a 1970 Unimog 404.114 Swiss style and it needs a new canvas top for the cab. I found one through Expedition Imports and am wondering if anyone has dealt with them and how is their quality? Or is there another company in the US that I could look at getting this from. Any input would be appreciated!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From my experience, Expedition Imports are excellent folks to deal with. I haven't looked recently, so don't know if they have the Swiss canvas, which is completely different from the original German one.
Swiss Army Vehicles in Arkansas are also excellent folks to deal with.

Cheers

UNIMOG-GUY

Scott at Expedition Imports is a great guy to deal with. I have spent alot of money with his company and haven't had any issues. If you haven't already found it I suggest you check out http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/ it is in my opinion the most informative Unimog website on the web. There is a link under a members name DXMEDIA there that has the complete 404 manuals. Which is a must have for any 404 owner.

saddamsnightmare

February 7th, 2014.

The only problem with the gent up above, is the prices are pretty substantial. It is a pity a bunch of us S404.114 Swiss owners do not get together and have a good top company build us military grade cargo and cab covers in one buy. I had a new cab cover made by a top man in Paris, Texas, and the material was better and heavier then the original Swiss issue, with reinforcements were they were needed.

Now I need to make a new Cargo cover, and I may do one plain one and one like the Swiss original, but with a back flap as the floorboards seem to rot out quicker without out it, and no original Swiss cargo covers I have ever seen had the flap... They must grow them pretty tough up there in the Alps.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kyle, there apparently is a version of the tarp with a rear flap, I've only seen photos of it though, and only a few. (I'm specifically talking Swiss Unimogs here, not the other European ones, which are completely different bed/tarp-wise). I'd love to get my mits on one.

I have meanwhile used a green deuce rear flap (from the 3-piece setup) with some success on mine, its just a little too wide and round on the sides, but wraps around (inside the main tarp) okay.

Cheers

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

February 13th, 2014.

M813RC:

Interesting, my original tarpaulin has only the top flap/rain edge above the opening, and nothing whatsoever below the end of the roof bow curves. Your truck flap has been adapted to use the hooks and shock cord closures that the Swiss used on the front of the side flaps. I am curious as to where you came up with the hooks and leather grommet/bases, as on my cab cover we had to reuse those and substitute specially shortened aluminum brazier rivets to replicate the original Swiss mountings...... I am starting to suspect that the truck tops might have been either made in several runs, or in several different shops in the Swiss Army Ordnance depots because the rear end of your top is completely different from mine in the cut and finish. Mine used the shock cord lacing and hooks to catch and hold the bottom of the side flaps, just the way that the front corners are laced. The shock cords on the bed are due to be replaced this year as they are almost shot too.

Bill Campbell in Paris, Texas did a masterful job on my cab cover, and it was about $400.00 with new side curtains and reinforcements, reusing the original hooks and drain edge hardware (above windshield metal channel). I should have had him do the new cargo cover, as mine finally wore through from tree abrasions and old age. It should not be difficult to get a proper reproduction made of the military cargo cover, I just have my doubts about the gent up above mentioned, as he is less into restoration and more into alteration for sale. One of these days an unaltered S404.114 is going to be a fairly rare beast, as in Texas all they wanted was rock crawlers or sand sleds....

I've got to run,

but do have a good night and stay warm!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish the top was mine, but it is a type I encountered on the web looking at Mog pictures. I have seen several trucks with that top, so I think it may have been a production one. The one on mine is as you described, no rear curtain.
My Mog is stock Swiss, the only change I made (or ever plan to) was to add the 3-point seatbelt mounting bar in the cab so my kids could ride in it.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks