• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Long Haul

19kilo

A Long Haul..North to Alaska!

So, after the trip, yes I'll post pictures!! :) Might even be some video, but I'm not sure yet.
I won an auction about 3 weeks ago in Fontana California, and after some talking with the manager there and the admin in Arizona, they agreed to let me pick the truck up almost a month after winning it. Shannon, the nice manager at the Fontana yard is getting a nice big Alaska salmon (although she doesn't know it yet!) that I'll bring down for her great attitude and understanding! Of course it's already cut up, so she won't have to do anything but BBQ it :).
But on to the details...
I won a running 923a2, that I'm driving to Phoenix first with. Castle Bravo offered to pick it up for me, but I decided to do it myself this time as I had some time off coming and also want to pick up a bunch of stuff in Phoenix and drive up here with it. I've driven many many times between both Washington and Arizona and also between Alaska and Arizona, so I've driven many different routes. I usually like the west coast routes because I have more family along the way and can crash for the night for free and get the added bonus of catching up with friends and family along the way. There is also the route through Montana, and a good friend of mine moved there a few years ago and has a nice 5 acre place just outside of Helena, so that route was also an option. But I think unless some of you convince me for some reason otherwise, I'll go north through Utah, along highway 89 from Flagstaff until just short of Salt Lake City, then, take interstate 84 through Idaho into Oregon stopping for a day or so in Portland area to visit friends and family in the area (and hopefully show off my new truck!) After leaving Portland, I'll head up I-5 until Bellingham city, and then cut north for the Canada Border, drive probably back onto the Canada I-5 until the city of Hope, then cut north along Canada route 1 to Cache Creek, then the 97 to Prince George. At this point I can either continue north or take the alternate route to the west, both are roughly the same distance, but I think I like the western route better, the roads are a little narrower in the north country, but lots of wildlife! So if I take the west route, I'll go along the highway 16 until I hit Gitwangak Indian Res, and then take highway 37 (Stewart-Cassiar) north until it meets the Alaska Hwy 1 in the Yukon. From there its all the way to the Alaska border where it turns into the Alaska Hwy 2, and then continue on that all the way to Fairbanks.

So pretty much my initial test run will be from the yard in California to Phoenix, a little over 300 miles. If I have major problems on that run, I will probably cancel the long trip until I have time to go over them, or I'll spend my time that I had alloted for this trip to fix them. Castle Bravo has offered help if I need it, so thanks to him for that! I have planned on possibly having the truck all checked out at a reputable shop I used to use a lot when I worked in Phoenix, before taking such a long trip.

I have done long distance trips in MV's before, previously in my 925a2 from Chris's place to Phoenix, some 2000+ miles, but this will be longer. A rough calculation will be around 4200 miles by the route I mentioned. ( I added a little bit for the running around I'll probably do in the greater Portland area)
I estimate about 600 gallons in fuel for the trip. That's 4200 miles divided by 7 mpg. (I've gotten higher than 9 mpg in these, but I'm being conservative) With fuel being what it is, I'll probably spend around 3K in fuel and other fluids. The cost goes up a lot more if I have any major breakdowns I know :) Especially if I'm to far from any reliable help (friends, family, or fellow SS'ers)
Yes I could probably save some money by shipping it, but that isn't the whole point. One, I love long road trips. I've been across the USA several times in both trucks and cars. Two, I have about half or more of a trucks bed of boxes that I want to bring back with me to Alaska, and most of the shippers I spoke to wanted me to have no more than 100 pounds of personal stuff in/on the vehicle and they weren't liable for theft. Third, the cost of shipping my truck versus the cost of driving it back wasn't so far apart, and I'd not get the ADVENTURE by shipping it!

So other than the comments and possibly helpful constructive criticism, I'm wondering if any SS members live or would like to have me stop in along the route or close to it. If I know ahead of time that I'll be stopping for dinner or to use the shower or to shoot the sh*t, I'll possibly have another of those a fore mentioned Alaska salmon with me to share ;) Also any SS members who can offer help if needed along the route would greatly be appreciated as well.
Also anyone need anything moved along my route. I've got some bed space left or the ability to tow a trailer part of the way. (has to be legal, I don't need any more complications :)
If anyone along my route has the bows and tarp set up, I might be interested in purchasing them and mounting them on my truck, depending on price.

I'll be traveling with a long time friend who also enjoys long road trips, usually on his motor bikes. He was originally skeptical, but is more and more liking the thoughts of the trip. (maybe I'll get him hooked on Green Iron!!)(or scare him away for good...)

So this all begins with me flying to Ontario airport in California, and then hopefully driving this rig as mentioned to Phoenix. The dates are arrive in the early morning of September 3rd, and leave Phoenix either the evening of the 4th or some part of the day of the 5th. From there it is drive, drive, drive.:driver::driver::driver: :) I hope. I've got ten days off work, and can take a few more if needed on short notice. As I said I've driven this path before, and done it in about 5 days plus some hours, but that was in a non MV, and I was taking a more direct route.

Here is a couple of pictures of the truck from the GL site. Just to let you see what I'm starting with. :)

Also notice the right tool box, looks damaged, hopefully nothing under the truck is as well. (it showed a video of the truck moving and driving, so hopefully all is good)

Ok that is it for now.

Attachments

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW , that sounds like a great trip ! Wish I could join you . best of luck , keep the rubber side down ! BTW , that tool box damage looks like FORK LIFT tracks , check carefully before your drive .

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove about 850 miles one way in a M929. I'm not sure I would look forward to 4,200 miles... But you are right, it will be an adventure. And it sounds like you have a good contingency plan.

Good luck!

19kilo

Yes Dangier, I should be able to post a few along the way.

Yes RTK, thats what I thought, fork lift damage, yet the video shows the truck driving forward and reverse, so we will see (in about a day and a half from now)

Thanks Ray, I believe that a person makes his own luck, but at the same time Murphy takes a part in life, so I'll take all the positive luck I can. :)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like fun! Let me know if theres anything you need while you're still here.

Durango_USMC

I am WAY out of your way on this one, sounds like an adventure for sure! I hope your truck escaped any serious forklift damage and you have a safe enjoyable trip.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What an adventure! Good luck, and keep us posted. Are you stationed at FWA, or are you in AK to stay?

19kilo

Just a quick update, I'll get more detailed after I get back. Truck has been running well. We made the journey from Fontana to Phoenix, loaded my stuff, and decided to change the route back. We headed back to California and made our way up I5 to Portland. We stayed the night here giving me this chance to post a few.

Attachments

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having driven the full length of both the Cassiar and the Alaska highways, and having driven through Fairbanks on the way to the Arctic Circle, I have a healthy respect and admiration of you and the trip you are making in your (new to you) MV!:beer:

I spent the summer of 2004 in Tok and got to explore a fair amount of Alaska. The scenery, the wildlife, the people and the memories still leave me awestruck to this day!

Enjoy the trip, be safe and may your journey be trouble free!

:driver:

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Last year at thanksgiving time my wife and I picked up a “Vehicle does not run” M923A1 in Ft. Benning GA. All it needed (in GA) was a jump start and tires pumped up. In under an hour we were headed for Colorado, via Texas.

In Jackson, MS it threw a water pump belt. Thanks to a cell phone and a laptop we found a replacement belt close by and thanks to all the TMs I had downloaded it only cost ½ day.

In TX the outside duel started throwing rubber at other drivers, and we were out of time so we had to leave it at my daughter’s place and come home in the chase vehicle. Long story short, I got laid off the week we got back, so it has sat down there since. I started work this week, and we are planning a trip down there at thanksgiving to bring it and an M101A2 trailer back with a return route past an SS member who has tires for me.

Good luck on your trip. As you probably already found out, those tires make it handle a little squirrelly on hard surfaces at high speed and increase your stopping distance. That latter part isn’t so good because of the delay that the brakes already have. After a couple of scares in Alabama I really increased my following distance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks