• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A or 003A fuel fill strainer rust

1800 Diesel

Has anyone run across layers of rust on the brass screen inside the filler neck? I've used rust removal chemicals previously on all steel stuff, but for this application, am concerned the chemicals may eat away the brass screen. I'm wondering if there's a product that will remove the rust layer but not damage the brass screen. If not I will try my pressure washer (very carefully)....

Thanks,

Kevin

Isaac-1

I had a lot of powdery scale build up and some rust on the screen on my MEP-003a filler, a short (15-20 minute) bath in a phosphoric acid / CLR solution removed most of the scale and left the brass screen downright shiny.

Ike

p.s. I would suggest checking frequently and not over doing it.

Munchies

the coatings/plating on the strainer/strainer tube/ and strainer tube holder assembly in the tank are down right nasty. They build up some nasty stuff in the extreme humidity down here. If it is not rusting, it is white flakey growth, or green slime (not algae) that develops on those parts. Oxalic acid treatments work well for me and dont knock me over if I accidentally catch a sniff. Much more forgiving.... Oxalic acid crystals can be found on ebay

1800 Diesel

I had a lot of powdery scale build up and some rust on the screen on my MEP-003a filler, a short (15-20 minute) bath in a phosphoric acid / CLR solution removed most of the scale and left the brass screen downright shiny.

Ike

p.s. I would suggest checking frequently and not over doing it.
Ike,

Sounds like a good plan to use on all but the cleanest ones I get in. This one is the first time I've seen the rust buildup on the screen itself. CLR is a commercial product, right? Where did you get the phosphoric acid? And did you mixed the two at 50-50??

Thanks,

Kevin

1800 Diesel

the coatings/plating on the strainer/strainer tube/ and strainer tube holder assembly in the tank are down right nasty. They build up some nasty stuff in the extreme humidity down here. If it is not rusting, it is white flakey growth, or green slime (not algae) that develops on those parts. Oxalic acid treatments work well for me and dont knock me over if I accidentally catch a sniff. Much more forgiving.... Oxalic acid crystals can be found on ebay
I'll take a look at that stuff too. Would rather get something local if possible.

Thanks,

Kevin

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've found the tanks extremely difficult to clean so I replaced mine on all three gens with a 5 gal plastic container from Goo Goo car wash. They will give them to you for the asking. They are excellent for many uses. No rust.

uniquify

I've found the tanks extremely difficult to clean so I replaced mine on all three gens with a 5 gal plastic container from Goo Goo car wash. They will give them to you for the asking. They are excellent for many uses. No rust.
Got any pictures of those plastic containers?

I picked up an 002 a couple months back. It's clean and complete on the outside, but the inside of the fuel tank is nasty. The filler neck, strainer, and bottom of the tank are covered in some white-ish crud that smells like varnish.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get you a pic tomorrow. These are rather thick walled plastic containers, I threaded pipe threads thru the top for the 3 lines, kinda flimsy but good enough. Thx

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks