• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On Bypass oil filters - to get the small particles

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter what kind of filter setup, stock, remote spin-on, adapter-mounted, drain or no drainback, guards or no guards..

[][][]

PuraDYN:
In SAE paper #660081 it states, “Filtration of previously used oil to five microns had no significant effect on wear, but filtration to one micron had a substantial effect on wear.”

In Stage One, oil enters the unit from a bypass oil pressure line, typically from the oil pressure sending unit or an oil galley plug near the full flow filter. The oil enters the puraDYN® system through a metering jet that limits the flow between 6 to 8 gallons per hour (22 to 30 liters per hour), into a 100% unbleached long-strand natural cotton fiber filled filter element. The solid contaminants, such as carbon, sludge, soot, varnish, dirt, silica, wear metal particles and other foreign matter, are trapped down to 1 micron in size.

In Stage Two the oil, free of solid contaminants, travels into the heated evaporation chamber flowing over a diffuser plate. The oil pressure has dissipated to atmospheric pressure causing the oil to flow in a thin film over the floor and walls of the heated evaporation chamber. The temperature in the evaporation chamber is approximately 200° F but may vary slightly depending on the outside ambient temperature. The heat causes liquid contaminants like fuel, water and engine coolant to vaporize and vent out under their own pressure through the vapor vent out through a vapor vent valve before they can re-condense as would normally occur in an engine not equipped with a puraDYN® system. The cleaned oil is then returned by gravity feed to the engine oil sump.

[][][]
Amsoil:
""
..........the dirt that does the most harm and causes the most wear in an engine is from 5 microns up to 20 microns in size (a human hair is about 100 microns). AMSOIL By-Pass Filters will filter oil to an amazing 1/10 of a micron. ......
All of the oil passes through the Conventional Filter and then a very small percent of the oil is "bled off" and it passes through the By-Pass Filter. The By-Pass Filter works on the idea of the swimming pool filter... it filters a small amount of the oil at any one time, however, in five minutes, at 45 mph, all of the oil will have gone through the By-Pass Filter.....

A conventional oil filter filters out dirt particles down to about 20 microns. The AMSOIL Spin on oil filter filters out dirt to about 5 microns. If you use the AMSOIL By-Pass system, it will filter out dirt down to 1/10 of a micron.

[][][]
Filtration Systems:
The FS-2500 cleans your oil at an efficiency rate of 2.78 microns absolute. This will allow the end user to extend oil drain intervals dramatically, and most importantly, stop up to 99% of the wear in the engine.

[][][]

Gulf Coast Filters:
AXIAL DEPTH TYPE FILTRATION PROVIDES EFFICIENT PARTICULATE CONTROL OF 1-5 MICRON PARTICLES
EXTENDS FACTORY OIL FILTER SERVICE INTERVALS UP TO 5 TIMES LONGER
MOISTURE REMOVAL DOWN TO 40 PPM
ALL STEEL FILTER HOUSING
NO GASKET REPLACEMENT
NO TOOLS REQUIRED TO SERVICE
U.S.C.G. ACCEPTED

[][][]

sure there are more systems out there..

/\/\/\/

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure that there is tons more out there on this subject, I want to emphesize that the beauty of the bypass filter is that it does not change any of the original design goals for the engine.
Even if completely clogged there is no difference in normal filtration or oil flow.

bottleworks

A bypass filter would be great to have with a good full flow filtering. You have to remove that 20-5 range of particles with good full flow filters, then let the bypass filter remove the smaller remaining particles. The stock filters do a poor job of removing the 20-5 range of particles. "Better then stock" full flow filters with a bypass filter installed will provide the best results.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some go across the stock oil filter, and some go between the oil pressure line and the oil return line with an orifice to limit flow. It probably does not matter which is selected as long as the oil goes through the filter.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The output of the bypass filter must go to the oil pan without flow restriction. A hole may need to be punched in the pan above oil level and a suitable fitting installed (drilling is only an option if the pan is off the engine).
I would feed the bypass filter from the port labeled "Oil sampling port" in the image.

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

This is an email that I sent an AMSOIL dealer. I'll provide the response when I receive it:

Dave

Have you ever installed or have knowledge of anyone installing the oil-bypass system on a military multi-fuel engine? Below are a few forum threads on a website that I frequent. You’ll note that these discussions are causing some good debate. There are a number of posts on this site dealing with how to greatly improve initial oil pressure in a “deuce and a half” vehicle and clean the oil much better as well. The problem that we have today is that by design, the multi-fuel engine takes 12-15 seconds to build oil pressure, causing some obvious long-term issues with bearings, etc. The spin-on filter system that one of the gents is fabricating dramatically improves initial oil pressure…down to 2-3 seconds (initial results). There is also a remote filter system developed by one of our experienced members that greatly improves initial oil pressure.

I’d also be interested in finding out what specific synthetic oil, gear, atf…can be used in this vehicle to improve performance all around, in addition to the bypass and spin-on setup of course. Some of the components on this multi-fuel engine need specific tolerances observed, as particular components will be affected if the wrong product is used. I can provide some input here as well if desired.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=115673#115673 < where the AMSOIL oil-bypass system is discussed

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11823&postdays=0&postorder=asc < spin on filter change for the multi-fuel engine

Any input you could provide would be greatly appreciated. As a side note, you can join the site and get directly engaged in the discussion as well. Joining could potentially improve sales as a side note (my 2 cents). One last thought: if you’re interested in partnering with myself, I’d be happy to be a guinea pig for the AMSOIL products in these engines, unless that’s already been done of course. No pressure for that though J. The way I see it, if I can greatly improve the performance of my deuce and a half, I’ll invest in the AMSOIL products without question.

Much appreciated,

Andy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SasquatchSanta said:
Bjorn,

Is the output of a bypass filter system high enough to prohibit plumbing the return line into a valve cover?
Don't thimk that's a good idea, returning it to the oil pan minimizes interference with normal oil flow.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But the flow through the bypass filter - it would be quite small? should not interfere if dumped into the rocker cover, with all the drain holes in the deuce head and block. Is the concern that it might fill up the rocker covers?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know Patrick, it's just my opinion, I don't know, but why take a chance when it's just as easy to run it into the pan directly and may even promote the flow thru the bypass filter.

SasquatchSanta

I assume to plumb into the pan will require dropping the pan.

Seems like a lot of work but if you've gotta you gotta.

The problem with pulling the pan is that the dreaded "While I'm This Far I Mights As Wells" kick in.

You know --- "As long as I've got the pan off, I might as well throw a new oil pump and while I'm at it I might as well throw in a new a set of rod and main bearings".

A new set of rods and mains certainly would compliment to a new pump and filter system --- Yup --- think that's what I'll do.

alphadeltaromeo

From reading the post about using a punch to create the hole, it makes quite a bit of sense to me...seems easy enough and using the punch will keep the pan free from the shavings (no shavings)...also adding more metal for the self-tapping screws to grab onto. I like it...thanks for posting the link.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That hollow bolt, might be good for a pre-oiler pickup too.. I just hope it is not the kind of thing that would pop out unexpectedly creating a problem that would require a duct tape patch..

In the same BBS, this little valve..
http://www.fumotousa.com/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks