• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ever see inside the Protective Control Box?

rebelqwes87

I still haven't had time to rebuild mine yet, still using the jumper wire method. Anyway, yesterday I started the truck yesterday to move it and decided to hook the box back up once it was running. After about ten minutes I noticed an electrical smell. The top of my box is off and I could tell that's where the smell was coming from. I felt the top solenoid and it was extremely hot. I suck with electronics, any idea what would cause this. Maybe it could lead to a diagnosis of what died in there?

Last edited:

hklvette

Definitely some logic on that circuit board. The 14-pin ICs are quad NAND-gate packages. I can't tell what the TO-220 packages are. There must be some kind of voltage regulation on there since the CD4011s are only rated to 20Vdc. No timing hardware that I can see unless it uses an RC circuit to do the job.

todds112

• Definitely some logic on that circuit board. The 14-pin ICs are quad NAND-gate packages. I can't tell what the TO-220 packages are. There must be some kind of voltage regulation on there since the CD4011s are only rated to 20Vdc. No timing hardware that I can see unless it uses an RC circuit to do the job.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. ;-)

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to update your location info to include state,
since there is a Branford in Florida as well as Connecticut.

Artisan

There is no doubt in my mind that if a guy could hands down
say for SURE that he could rebuild these things, tested A-Ok
to factory specs that he would have a nice little side job...

Soldered connections in lieu of crimp and quality control...
as in TESTED prior to sending out.

Eaglhawk

Just a little hint on those 24v relays. Most manufactures have the silver contact option for them. It is a little more expensive but they handle the spark from engaging and disengaging without pitting as bad... And at $5 to $10 dollars more It is definately worth it... Usually the part number is the same with an added letter or number to differentiate the contact material....

cabalaro

24214 24V 200A Continuous Solenoid

200A with silvertungsten carbide contacts.
Normally Open Contacts,
spst, One circuit: Off - On
Housing: Plated steel.

Could not find any with silver

they are 55 each on ebay

Last edited:

TexAndy

FYI, my 923a2 wouldn't start a few weeks ago. Keithj happened to be down and he diagnosed it. It was corroded contacts on the load (not coil) portion of the ignition relay inside that PCB, IIRC. We were able to start the truck by shorting around the contacts with an insulated wire. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you're doing, but starting the truck was enough to cause the current to clean the oxidation off the contact points so I could start it normally after that.

cabalaro

here are the Photos I promised. After changing out the solenoids and reusing the diodes it works flawlessly ABS, light, everything that was not working now works and it fires right off. Takes about 2 hours to do the job, cleans and repaint the inside for corrosion prevention and put everything back in. Remember to keep everything referenced to the way you removed it and the diodes in the right direction. Its a pretty easy repair and a lot cheaper than the new or used boxes. $40 fixed it I have 3 more sets if anyone needs the solenoids20150304_102724.jpg20150304_103138.jpg20150304_103152.jpg20150304_104416.jpg20150304_104441.jpg20150304_115047.jpg

Attachments

5tonbrian

i just purchased the 2 of the solenoids and I am dead in the water. Reused the old diodes, the battery and lights and gauges all turn on but nothing to the starter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Artisan

i just purchased the 2 of the solenoids and I am dead in the water. Reused the old diodes, the battery and lights and gauges all turn on but nothing to the starter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The starter itself is OK? You have verified this w/ a test?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks