• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V Cummins/Allison/divorced 205 swap

muddobber40

I know the Cummins swap has been done many times over, but I though I would share my current build. It is at a stand still for now. I have a few turbo conversions to do on a m1009, M1008, and M1028 so it will be a week or so before any more progress is done.

The truck is a 1985 m1028 that had 13,500 miles on it. It has a 4 inch Tuff Country lift running 36x12.50 super swampers

The engine is a 1996 12V Cummins
---upgrades include:
---Killer dowl pin fix
---DAP 5x0.013 Nozzles on new bosch 215 injectors
---4K governor spring kit
---AFC kit.smoke wheel all the way forward until its running to adjust
---60# exhaust valve springs
---2095 rack plug
---timing bumped to 16.25 degrees
--Air Dog II 165 fuel pump/air separator
---1998 power steering pump so we didnt have to booger up the return lines for the hydroboost
---stock turbo for now

Transmssion is an 5 speed Allsion auto from a 2005 Chevy 2500 2wd

Will be using an aftermarket stand alone computer

Transfer case is a Dodge divorce mounted 205

Frame was boxed using another k30 frame from the rear cab mount crossmember to the front shackles. I used some factory frame braces off an 86 frame to fill the void between the Auto World engine cross-member to where the added frame ended. I made the trans and transfer cross-members...not proud of the transfer mount but it will work.

I will add pics once I get more work done next week. I can also get more pics of what ever anyone would like

Attachments

Last edited:

tim292stro

Interesting build :)

I see on your 12V + Allision that you have a passenger-side starter. I also removed the factory A/C pump from the engine so that I could sit the block lower in the frame. Are you cutting the passenger floor board to make space for the turbo down-pipe or doing a body lift to make everything fit easier?

[EDIT:] Just for my curiosity, can you take a few pictures from below the engine? I'm interested in suspension clearance since you're further ahead there than I am - I still need to get the 4WD suspension and axles attached [/EDIT]

Last edited:

muddobber40

The adapter plate uses the ford 6.0 starter. There is no room to run down the passenger frame rail since it is boxed in. Normally you can squeeze 3 inch between the cab, frame, and engine, if you take your time. Thats how I run all my 6.5 turbo swaps on the 6.2's. Since it is boxed in, I have much less room so the exhaust is either going outside the frame to just behind the transfer case or under the trans to the drivers side and back. As for body lift, it is getting one, but not sure how much until I set the cab on. Thats the next step. The allison sits much higher than the 400. The engine is as low as it can get with that particular brand engine crossmember. Oh and he wants A/C so we left the compressor on.

Last edited:

tim292stro

Thanks, if possible could you do some close-ups of the parts of the frame you trimmed to squeeze the AC and harmonic balancer in? I'm also interested in your engine mounts, they don't look stock at all (I will be doing something more like a Class 6 truck's mounts).

muddobber40

Okay, sorry for the long delay. Still not completely done, but it is drivable. Had some valve body issues and software issues for programming the XFC box.

We did end up getting an aftermarket turbo. It is a custom one from HTT, 65,63,14. Spools really nice and keeps the EGT's and smoke decent under WOT. For the exhaust, which still needs buttoned up, we did run it outside the frame. It was going to be to tight to crossover to the drivers side and run down that frame rail. THe down pipe is a modified Duramax one with a short piece of flex pipe(Not my choice). The DP and flex are 3.5 inch, then the rest is 4 inch, no muffler. The air filter housing and elements are by Fleetguard. it is the Opti Air 1000 series, dual element. The guy the truck is being built for owns a few rock quarries, so he wanted extra protection.

We went with a one inch body lift and then modified the floor pan under the seat a little to clear the back of the Allison. The trans is the only reason we had to do a body lift, it was clearing the engine just fine

I was also able to use the factory Dodge inter cooler, radiator, and fan shroud with minimal modification to the core support. The shroud itself had to cut/modified a the bottom, but I think it was only due to the body lift.

I will post more pictures this evening

Attachments

muddobber40

Ill see what I can do. ITs sitting on stock tires now. Sold the 36's to upgrade to 37's and bead locks..now he is thinking bigger. The transfer case had some unknown issues, so it will be coming out, the trans is getting replaced with a 4x4 unit and an Atlas 2 is going in. So it will be sitting until this spring. I have several other projects that need to get done first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks