• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caiman MRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just wondering why local law enforcement needs a MRAP which is designed for urban warfare, is there something we should know.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wondering why local law enforcement needs a MRAP which is designed for urban warfare, is there something we should know.
No need to worry we have a bunch of them here in LA painted black. I always thought these were for high speed pursuits :driver:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you need an M819 which was designed for recovering downed aircraft? Why does anyone need a bandana? Their only purpose is for disguise during a bank robbery. I don't expect all of you outside of law enforcement to completely understand but gheez, foil hats? These are not federal agencies. Be more concerned with DHS and their ammo purchase.

Oh, the MRAP is more designed to protect occupants, not deliver munitions. We have M1s and Bradleys for that.

All you need to do is be on a perimeter of a barricaded suspect holed up in a meth lab and you will see why the protection is needed.
This happens more than you think.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Ohio State University just got theirs as well. Have to put down kegger parties on campus.

Gunzy

IMHO I think it's overkill for police agencies to be equipped like a military unit. Here our police don't have a MRAP, they have a armored Suburban. I think that is more sensible. But who am I to say, my tinfoil hat is out getting cleaned.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did the armored suburban cost that agency? Probably more than the MRAP cost swat435's department. They take what they can get, and right now they can get MRAPs.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had armor when I was shot at and it wasn't in a combat or LEO situation..........

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did the armored suburban cost that agency? Probably more than the MRAP cost swat435's department. They take what they can get, and right now they can get MRAPs.
The suburban probably came from from a federal program also. But just because they can get it doesn't mean they should . Para-military police forces are not a good thing and it's no tin foil hat just read the news . Just look at the things that have happened in the Detroit Police Dept. in recent years .

Gunzy

OK, explain to me why the Gov won't sell them on GL? I've been shot at before and it wasn't combat and I am not LEO, so don't I have the right to have one for protection?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, explain to me why the Gov won't sell them on GL? I've been shot at before and it wasn't combat and I am not LEO, so don't I have the right to have one for protection?
Law enforcement has an obvious need & use for them; civilians not so much. Unless you negotiate directly with the manufacturer.

If you have been paying attention over the past couple of years, active shooters have been on the rise. Violence in general has been on the rise, especially against law enforcement ("suicide by cop" incidents have gone WAY UP in the past few years; research the FBI statistics on them...we had one recently here in Henderson). The attack on the mall in Kenya recently (involving extremists from America) should definitely be a wake-up call. My hat is off to these agencies procuring MRAPs; these fit the bill perfectly for critical incidents such as mass shootings.

And how likely are you to be running towards an active shooter or barricaded armed suspect with your MRAP?

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 454917

Picked this up today from Camp Shelby, MS. through the LESO Program. Drove it back home 250 miles with no issues.
Very nice sir; I hope your agency has the funds to keep it maintained & running...all too often I see equipment like this left sitting around for years at a time, some agencies don't have the money to keep the vehicles operational for training.

Stay safe!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you need an M819 which was designed for recovering downed aircraft? Why does anyone need a bandana? Their only purpose is for disguise during a bank robbery. I don't expect all of you outside of law enforcement to completely understand but gheez, foil hats? These are not federal agencies. Be more concerned with DHS and their ammo purchase.

Oh, the MRAP is more designed to protect occupants, not deliver munitions. We have M1s and Bradleys for that.

All you need to do is be on a perimeter of a barricaded suspect holed up in a meth lab and you will see why the protection is needed.
This happens more than you think.
Total thumbs up!

Tinfoil Fever is worse on ARFCOM, naturally...but since non-LEOs probably won't ever have the terrifying experience of facing a heavily-armed active shooter with body armor, it doesn't make much sense to them for LEOs to have MRAPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks