• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help - M416 Markings Identification

GSequoia

Well me being a bit retarded in the ways of militaria I am calling for some help here. I am looking for as much information as possible about my little M416. If this looks familiar to you it's because I've posted much of this before, I am just creating this thread to pull these questions out of the middle of another post and because I have a little more information (should be the final bit of identifying features I will find).

What we are dealing with here is a USMC M416 trailer of unknown manufacturer or year (Possibly 1967 Stevens from a few peoples judgment by photos of trailer). The trailer is marked USMC, has USMC Responsible Agency plates, and is equipped as a USMC M416 (Has lifting hoops welded to all four corners of the frame for airborne operations).

Anyway, enough talking. Time to see some pictures and specific questions. With all of these photos click on them to see a MUCH larger version.

]
This is the data plate. Notice that it has not been stamped. My theory here is that the trailer was rebuilt and the data plate replaced but they never got around to stamping it. Would this be a plausible scenario in the USMC?

Tub sides in front of fender (both are the same)
Stenciled and painted markings:
USMC 372734
1204 (Complete assembled by finding markings elsewhere)

Front of tub in three pictures:

Marked in chalk:
Old Stencil, faded badly: USMC
I will get the other markings in this photo next.

Marked in chalk:
M98400 2244 JQ63 M98400 Most likely unit number
Old Stencil, painted over: 1204
New Stencil, appears "recent":
2330 00 706 5495 This is the national stock number, as seen on data plate
C/PY 4/87 Y000 (Y000 was originally spray painted over, I removed paint with thinner to read)

(Old Stencil) 372734
("New" Stencil) ROLLBA?? (Paint chipped)
("New" Stencil) METHOD ? (Paint chipped, partial letter or number visible after Method)
("New" Stencil) LCN U000
("New" Stencil) MIN. PRES.
("New" Stencil) 5/92

Rear tub.
Vinyl Decals: USMC 37273 (Curiously I cannot find any evidence of the final number, 4, of this registration marking)
Old stencil, painted over: 1204

And just for fun a teased out picture of the old 1204 marking at the center lower part of the front tub panel.

Now I'd really like to make some sense of this. I am wondering if 1204 is my serial number as I've heard of the S/N's being painted onto the trailer and I've found it in four places, all with the usual USMC registration number as well; or would this simply be another USMC marking that has nothing to do with the S/N?

There are two markings that appear to be dates, 4/87 and 5/92. Now my theory here (correct me if I"m off base here) is that the trailer was fully reconditioned (complete with new data plate that they forgot to mark) in April 1997. I also think the May 1992 date might be when it was cleared for sale to the general public. Does this make any sense?

Does anyboyd know what JQ63 means? 1963 would be a possible year for this trailer as it's an M416. I do not know what JQ means though.

Let's talk Serial Numbers! As I stated earlier I suspect 1204 is the number. But it's not that easy ;) There are also two other four digit numbers that could easily be serial numbers (from what I've seen from other M416's they had four digit numbers), 2244, which is marked in chalk in between the unit number and the mysterious JQ63 above and 3267, which also has a 72 underneath it (another year maybe?)

So this is quite the puzzle. I'm not sure if there is much hope here but i figured this is about the best place I can ask. I thank you for taking the time to look at this.

If you would like any further pictures feel free to ask.

Here is a link to more pictures of the M416, including the photos from this post: http://events.sequoia4x4.com/v/20061210-m416/?g2_highlightId=17239

Thank you,
Sequoia

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks