• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It Runs!!

white135

but not for long.

After all the hard work the last month or so, we finally got to try to start the XM215 today. It last ran four or so years ago, before being parked in the junkyard.

After several tries cranking, with no firing, the problem was diagnosed as dirty points by Ron of MV R&R, (never mind the need for the ignition switch to be on, :oops: which I did figure out myself), the points were cleaned and it fired up.

However, due to an apparent air leak at the base of the carb, which is yet to be fixed, it wanted to run full throttle, so had to be shut off after ten or so seconds at a time.

However, It had good oil pressure, :D air pressure was building, and the batteries were charging. It sounded great, if a little loud due to an exhaust system that is full of holes, but that's another project.

Eric

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's awesome Eric! Congrats. It is such a good feeling to hear a truck start up for the first time after so much hard work. Keep us posted!

pa.rich

Theres getting to be a nice accumulation of dumpers in this group of military truckers. Those early GMC's are easy to work on and they are good ole engines. Mine had a miss in it and I put new plugs, points and condenser in it and found one plug that had a broken electrode in it. Runs good now. I am looking forward to pictures and some history on your truck. Does it still dump? Have a winch?

white135

Well, after removing the carb, and installing new gaskets, it appears as though that was not the problem.

As it turns out, the linkage seems to be worn enough that the gas pedal will only return to within all but a 1/4 inch of idle, so it revs way up.
Ron and I were going to attempt to make a new u-shaped bar that is a quarter inch longer to compensate for this.

First, I have a question before doing all that. Currently, the throttle cable on my truck is broken off, however, we do have one removed from a parts truck. My question is, if I hooked up the throttle cable, would it have enough tension to hold the throttle at idle? Hopefully one of you has some experience with this.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

acetomatoco

The throttle cable is used to open the butterfly and has no positive action toward closing it.. For temporary use just put a screen door spring on the linkage to pull it shut..and adjust the idle speed screw accordingly. ACE

white135

OK, still having problems with the linkage. :x

My linkage is the one which has two smaller springs alongside the carb by the engine. since one of these ended up broken anyway, I went and replaced them with springs that seem to be quite a bit stronger. Now when we went to fire it up after that, it didn't rev up so high, only twice that of idle or so.

Thinking that the problem might be the bracket mounted to the manifold, because it seemed to be wobbly, I swapped it with another one which seems to be less worn off a parts M135.

It only seemed to make it worse!! Once again, it wants to rev way up.

This is stumping us all, because all the linkage seems to be fine, and operating correctly, and all the idle screws and such are adjusted properly.

My only thinking now is that the problem involves the carb. As some of you are no doubt aware, with the linkage disconnected, the carb itself keeps the bracket down some, and this is all the further that my linkage will go. Is this the way its supposed to be?? Could this be an internal problem in the carb? I really hope that one of you with more experience could give me some advice.

Thanks so much.

Eric

pa.rich

I am not an expert , but I keep thinking that something is missing on the linkage at the carb? I mean it is flopping freely instead of being directly connected, although it looks connected? I will take a look at mine to see if I can help.If the throttle for example, doesnt firmly hols the carb open and something is spring loaded at the carb, possibly a small sping is missing at the carb? There is a governor on this engine, so there must be a way the governor can change engine rpms without it being restricted yet spring loaded? Hard for me to explain. Look at a engine the same as yours to compare.Let us know, we want to help you.

pa.rich

Eric, I took a good look, and There is a spring on the throttle bracket from the firewall to the linkage and a spring on the crossshaft that goes on top of the exhaust manifold, but even with one of them missing it should be o.k. Question: When it over revs, can you see any of the linkage move? My other guess is , possibly something disconnected inside the governor ? I noticed some kind of vacuum line to the governor, Is that intact? Any signs of anything being taken apart and possibly not reassembled correctly? If you still need halp maybe I can post a picture of mine for you?

pa.rich

I just mthought of another possibility. Because this truck had been sitting, possibly there is some corrosion or stickieness in the guts of the carb, due to non use? So when you gave it the increased rpms it didnt return to idle. You could try spraying "Gumout" in and maybe it would return to idle. I bet it is old gas tar deposits in the carb. Gee, I am getting obsessed with this. Try the gumout. Thats the easiest thing to do first.

white135

Possible answer.

Well, in the half hour I had today, I tried out a few of pa rich's suggestions.

Actually, first I double checked the idle speed screw, cause you just never know :wink:

Next, I went to check/tighten the governor vacuum line. So, I put the wrench on, and it tightened! Odd, I thought, because I know I tightened it before. I disconnected the line, and found brass shavings on the end of the line!! As it turns out, the fitting was not only mostly stripped, but also loose where it goes into the governor.

I don't know if that's the answer or not, but its a good place to start, as I examined the carb with the top off, and with no springs attached, the butterflies are 90% closed on their own.

pa.rich, I think I might owe you a drink one of these days :D :beer:

Thanks
Eric

M215

Holly carb

Hello Eric,
When I installed a NOS carb on my GMC it went to wide open when first started. Figured out the the linkage on the carb was backwards, holding the butterfly valve wide open. This carb is the same one used on the M35 gasser, but the linkage is reversed.
Don't know if this helps?
Karl

white135

RE: Holly carb

Karl,

I belive the linkage appears correct now, as it seems to be doing what it should... Still I will doublecheck.
Thanks for your help.

Eric

pa.rich

Eric , it is holding butterfly closed when not touching it? That is, when linkage connected, it shouldnt be wide open.Someone may have messed with this at some time and gave up on it and parked it. If you need pictures of something , let me know, I will get " my people right on it". [My camera savy wife] Also, This is hard to diagnose over the computer. Its gotta be something simple, I gave some suggestions, but something like this is probalbly some thing like a mouse in there stuffing up the carb? Gee when a vehicle has set idle those insects and small critters can get in there. Was the air filter on it when you recieved the truck?Mine had those mud dabber nests all over the engine compartment in the strangest places and the air filter canister on the firewall was full of mouse nest materials. When I took it apart, I was surprised it even ran. I cleaned and repainted it and refilled with new oil. That air filter is the nicest part on the truck :D

white135

yes, the springs pull them nearly shut. I think that the stripped out fitting was causing a vacuum leak for the governor, which caused the governor to open the butterflies.

pa.rich

The only springs on mine are on the cross shaft on the Exhaust manifold and the throttle brackt. at the firewall, are those still there on your truck?Mine doesnt have any other springs than that , no springs on the carb itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks