• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Potential Rocky Mtn Rally

KaiserM109

I would like to gauge the interest in a Rocky Mountain Rally, let’s call it the Great RMR. My vision would be of a multi-part rally starting in Utah or Western Colorado for Westerners and Eastern Colorado for Easterners. The RMR would culminate in a large campout somewhere in the high country wilderness, probably in my own stomping grounds of Western Colorado. To reduce the probability of catastrophic weather events ( have you seen the news lately? ) the main event of the RMR would occur in the months of July or August.

The idea of breaking the RMR into multiple smaller rallies, let’s say the Western RMR, the Eastern RMR and the High Country RMR, would be to give a more organized schedule of activities and break up some of the participants’ road time. Also I’d want to add value so that it would be worth a 2,000 mile trip, of which I am familiar, having won the bid on a “vehicle will not start” M923 in Ft. Benning, GA.

Besides the rallies themselves, there could be organized events such as “pass hopping”, an activity that local 4x4 clubs love to do. Some of the greatest scenery in the Rocky Mountains is seen from many of the smaller mountain passes only accessible by high clearance, all-wheel drive vehicles. Some of the clubs like to see how many passes they can cover in a day, but my favorite way is to reduce the number and really enjoy the trip; cameras required.

One mini-rally might be held in Moab, UT where some might observe/participate in premier off-road events. Moab is a community geared up for large numbers of out-of-towners and a group of MVs would be quite welcome. Additional stops between a Western RMR could include such historic sites as Telluride, CO, Ouray, CO and Durango, CO, including a ride on the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge railroad, http://www.durangotrain.com/.

For the Eastern RMR, candidates would be Estes Park, CO ( I’m sure they will be ready for tourists by then ), South Park, CO, the inspiration for the famous cartoon where Kenny bites it in almost every episode, or Colorado Springs, CO where there are many attractions like the Air Force Academy, Pike’s Peak and NORAD for those of you who have the appropriate security clearance. For the journey between the Eastern RMR, besides numerous Continental Divide passes, there could a stop at the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad, http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/. I wonder if they would be willing to add some flat cars and haul a few MVs; bring your own tie-down chains and wheel chocks.

Besides participants, I would need some organizers, since multiple mini-rallies would be going on simultaneously. For you far Westerners or far Easterners, you might plan your own convoys and micro-rallies. Other suggestions for stop-overs would be welcome. For folks with limited camping gear Have Tent Will travel can accommodate and I will probably bring my MKT-85 along. We used to cater outdoor events and I have lots of loaner equipment.

If you think that you might be interested, please respond here or PM me.

Gunzy

I have interest as I'm in northern Utah and would like and excuse for a road trip in the M923. Is target shooting a choice?

KaiserM109

I have interest as I'm in northern Utah and would like and excuse for a road trip in the M923. Is target shooting a choice?
WITH RESTRICTIONS !!
My certification has expired, but I used to be an NRA certified instructor/range master and I assisted with a shooting program for the Boy Scouts.

Wherever we might go to shoot has to be approved by the local authorities and will be done only with supervision and range controls. The same rules enforced by BSA will be enforced at any shoot I have anything to do with.

I am an avid target shooter, particularly with muzzle loaders, and I would love to instruct newcommers in becoming a smokepole front-stuffer. I am a Vietnam vet and I hate to see would-be commandos bring their AR-15s to the range and play Rambo. I don’t even like using man-shaped targets.

If I can be sure it is not going to get out of hand, I would love to include target shooting. I would like to hear what SS’s official position on this might be and whoever is the most conservative wins.

PS True muzzleloaders patch their balls.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WITH RESTRICTIONS !!
My certification has expired, but I used to be an NRA certified instructor/range master and I assisted with a shooting program for the Boy Scouts.

Wherever we might go to shoot has to be approved by the local authorities and will be done only with supervision and range controls. The same rules enforced by BSA will be enforced at any shoot I have anything to do with.

I am an avid target shooter, particularly with muzzle loaders, and I would love to instruct newcommers in becoming a smokepole front-stuffer. I am a Vietnam vet and I hate to see would-be commandos bring their AR-15s to the range and play Rambo. I don’t even like using man-shaped targets.

If I can be sure it is not going to get out of hand, I would love to include target shooting. I would like to hear what SS’s official position on this might be and whoever is the most conservative wins.

PS True muzzleloaders patch their balls.
I would guess official SS rallies follow the same rules as posting on the site ;
• Do not post material dealing with the sale or use of alcohol, tobacco, or firearms. The exception to the rule would be the discussion of rifle mounts or ring-mounts.

KaiserM109

I would be interested....Even if I haven't procured a M923A2 by Rally time
I'll keep you in mind.

You might recognize the last picture; if the photographer turned 180 degrees he/she could get a nice shot of the La Sal Mountains.

You and Gunzy ought to get together; I think you're in spittin' distance of each other.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think areoud Estes Park would get the largest turnout due to it's proximity to Denver and WY.

KaiserM109

We'll get together sometime, somehow, somewhere.

My whole thing is up in the air. My deuce doesn't have the power to haul that box up a mountain. I am going to TX over the holiday to bring home an M923A1.

M920

I would love to get an RMR event going and would be willing to help in organizing, if needed. I'm in Chama, NM and can assist with Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad coordination as well.:)

Soni

KaiserM109

Well all,
I'm not sure if I will have any roling green iron anymore; the whole thing blew up with my wife last week and I don't have a truck that can hit the road.

I would love to meet everybody in Colorado and talk about places to go, anyway.

M920, the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is definately a must-experience item for anybody to do. What would be cool, but a bit of a pipe-dream, would be to have the railroad haul the trucks oneway while the riders-passengers ride the train cars.

M920, is that your M1070?

Last edited:

charger53

I am all about a meeting anywhere in the state or close to it. For the last couple of years the family and I have taken a few weeks with atv's to explore a lot of the passes and areas we are talking about. There are multiple passes that our vehicles just wont fit, but I am willing! Keep us posted on what, where, and when. I will help out anywhere I can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks