• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our New Departmental MRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ReubenJames: I'm thankful your department has another tool y'all can use. That MRAP might just save lives someday if it ends up in a firefight.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to extend thanks to all the posters in this thread. Thanks for keeping personal beliefs and feelings at home and just posting comments and advice on the vehicle in question. Many times these informative threads crash and burn because folks want to voice their opinion instead of focusing on the topic of the thread. Good Work!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Practice. Practice. Practice. Driving, maneuvering, getting in, getting out, stretcher/sked-co/tarp/drag drills, blind spot "figuring out", etc... ROLLOVER DRILLS... Some of your guys will be as big or bigger than some of the Soldiers that were moving in and out. Also, since you guys probably deploy CS or similar more often, do the same training in your protective masks. You may find out that the driver and/or TC would benefit from mounted protective kits (IE an M42 system vs. the M40 system). Your team may have to reconfigure their gear to make this usable.

the MRAPs are very unique beasts... This is not a "hop in and drive it" truck. make sure you specifically "license" or at least train the drivers and alternates. this is as much a safety thing as it is a (insurance) liability.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we got 24 posts before someone brought their feelings into it. Guess this will go the route of so many other threads like it. Not a cop eh Pete? Why do you need a MK48?

When you are the one pinned down in front of a meth lab, I doubt that you will want to wait while someone calls the Governor to try to get the Guard activated to get you out.

Last edited:

Hoefler

Well, we got 24 posts before someone brought their feelings into it. Guess this will go the route of so many other threads like it. Not a cop eh Pete? Why do you need a MK48?

When you are the one pinned down in front of a meth lab, I doubt that you will want to wait while someone calls the Governor to try to get the Guard activated to get you out.
Worked with Police when I was a volunteer fireman. The Swat truck they had never left the station outside of a parade roll. When out of the station on training runs, they found it created issues in the community-like lit up phones when it rolled.
My service as a fireman was in a community where the tallest structure was a two story blg. We had the biggest ladder truck in the county-one capable of handling a 5 story bldg. The only time we rolled here was for parade duty.
As far as my MK48-the only time she rolls is for volunteer duty. Things like VFW request's, Wounded Warrior request's and my work with "Beyond the Yellow Ribbon" group. Once in a while I roll her out for a spin, but only after I gas her up with my own funds.
Pete

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Fixed it for you. ;-)

A number of years ago the local LEOs asked that my Brother and I help them train for a special drug raid they were getting ready for. Deputies and Township officers participated at a local farm that had a large asphalt pad surrounding a large barn. It gave us a place around the corner where the officers could not see us do the prep. Then we would drive around the corner in various vehicles for them to stop. They practiced getting us out and searching and when things go bad. We gave them a demo of when things go really bad. Pickup truck with an armed suspect hiding in the back with an "assault" type weapon. Nothing makes a point like what it is like when someone pops up and opens fire. (223 blanks) First mistake, thinking a cruiser door is going to stop the rounds.

All in all the raid was successful and we got thank you letters. A full sized MRAP with more protection than a car door would add a serious level of protection for LEOs.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glad to see these trucks going to LEO especially knowing what is out on the streets of major urban cities and the challenges being faced like in New Orleans with the drug problems and mind blowing murders and violence. Yes, I realize rural and suburban communities have challenges also.

One less scrapped truck going to China or India in pieces to support their economy is a good thing also.

Hoefler

And there is one instance and reason for a vehicle like this. Thanks for responding in a technical way.
Almost forgot to add the other reason for my need of an MK48-because I can...unless a group in a Swat vehicle says I can't.
Pete

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And there is one instance and reason for a vehicle like this. Thanks for responding in a technical way.
Almost forgot to add the other reason for my need of an MK48-because I can...unless a group in a Swat vehicle says I can't.
Pete
THAT is the same reason local agencies are seeking these trucks. Because they can. Remember, these are just hardened trucks. They are not issued with any type of weapons. They cost much less than a commercial armored vehicle for LEO use. For the most part, same uses as you describe, parades, displays and just in case something really bad happens, is whe they roll. I can't for the life of me comprehend why folks are against Law Enfrocement Agencies having a tool like this for the "What if" when it happens. Lets see, the truck can be scrapped, parked in a lot to rot or stored at a police agency with them maintaining it. Seems like a no brainer to me but others not so much.

Hoefler

I get it. Given the state of our nation, perhaps her citizens might be thinking a what if is actually something other than catching bad guys. The optics are not very good and may create more critical thinkers.
I can see these as more of a National Guard tool as opposed to local law enforcement.
Just saying.
Pete

Al Harvey

THAT is the same reason local agencies are seeking these trucks. Because they can. Remember, these are just hardened trucks. They are not issued with any type of weapons. They cost much less than a commercial armored vehicle for LEO use. For the most part, same uses as you describe, parades, displays and just in case something really bad happens, is whe they roll. I can't for the life of me comprehend why folks are against Law Enfrocement Agencies having a tool like this for the "What if" when it happens. Lets see, the truck can be scrapped, parked in a lot to rot or stored at a police agency with them maintaining it. Seems like a no brainer to me but others not so much.
The big worry from many people is that most of the contracts between the states and the government clearly state that the equipment must have a current purpose and must be used as part of their "war on drugs". I know my state clearly stated that military equipment could not me acquired for a future possible event.

Now lets see if we can get back on track about the truck.

Another thing to watch for is power lines because these trucks do stick up and in some rural or even city areas the lines can catch the truck. Now what we did to ours in Iraq was built a PVC pipe that angled up from the front and leveled off over the top of the truck to redirect the lines to prevent them from coming in contact with the truck and to prevent tearing them down.

ReubenJames

Thanks to everyone for all the operational pointers.. I have passed them along to the persons that will operate it.

Our main reason for getting this and the supporting paperwork we submitted to obtain it was not for a "war on drugs" but active shooter rescue. Having a uparmored vehicle that we can put between a hostile threat and officers or civilians that need rescued/evacuated is our main focus. We have had one school shooting in our community but had to keep everyone locked down in the school until the shooter was apprehended. This would have been a great thing to have to haul the kids out of the threat area. I personally hope it stays in the garage as much as possible, other than training, because if it is out of the garage then more than likely somebody has been put in harm's way and it is needed to get them out.

I will be painted this weekend and if this thread is still open I will post new pics.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reuben,

If your dept has any desire to work with a local unit, but are having problems getting to the right people, please contact me. I will work through the proper channels to get you to the right resources.

bchauvette

Worked with Police when I was a volunteer fireman. The Swat truck they had never left the station outside of a parade roll. When out of the station on training runs, they found it created issues in the community-like lit up phones when it rolled.
My service as a fireman was in a community where the tallest structure was a two story blg. We had the biggest ladder truck in the county-one capable of handling a 5 story bldg. The only time we rolled here was for parade duty.
As far as my MK48-the only time she rolls is for volunteer duty. Things like VFW request's, Wounded Warrior request's and my work with "Beyond the Yellow Ribbon" group. Once in a while I roll her out for a spin, but only after I gas her up with my own funds.
Pete
When I first started getting involved in MV's I was a little miffed on how the tax payer's money was being wasted on equipment not being used. My M944 had 2,000 miles. Then I realized the equipment was doing exactly what is supposed to do! Just having the stuff on hand is a deterrent. If we where using the equipment that meant we where at war. Is it possible that just having it is a deterrent? The initial cost and upkeep is probably not that much. If the agency doidn't go crazy with it. There is something to be said about community awareness like parades and strip mall stagings. I'm sure criminals go shopping and to parades.Thank God you didn't have to use it, yet!. One deployment, one life saved will pay for it and expences.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This weekend, I participated in the DeLand FL Veteran's Day Parade. The Volusia County Sheriff Department has a M113 with rubber tracks and a MRAP. It was cool to see both of them in the parade! :) It's too bad our entry in the parade was so far away from the MRAP. I'd have loved to poke my head inside that beast and see what it's like.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This thread is a post away from being closed if people can't keep the politics/zombie/tin foil hat stuff out of it.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This weekend, I participated in the DeLand FL Veteran's Day Parade. The Volusia County Sheriff Department has a M113 with rubber tracks and a MRAP. It was cool to see both of them in the parade! :) It's too bad our entry in the parade was so far away from the MRAP. I'd have loved to poke my head inside that beast and see what it's like.
Any pics?

ReubenJames

This thread is a post away from being closed if people can't keep the politics/zombie/tin foil hat stuff out of it.
When I first started this thread I had some reservation because I knew that these vehicles can be controversial but I went ahead because I thought it was a neat vehicle and that most people, that don't have any current military experience, would like to see and hear information on it. We had a delay in getting it painted due to a all volunteer paint crew but I am told it is done and as soon as it returns I will get updated pics if this thread is still open.

Patracy, if you feel you need to close this thread then, by all means, please do. I know you and the other mods have worked and continue to work to make this a great site and I have no intention of making your job any more difficult then it already is. I am aware of the deleted comment from a email alert I recieved on this thread. Again it was never my intent to cause any strife but to just share information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks