• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our New Departmental MRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Militarized police force. Nice truck. The police force is really starting to look like the real military. I think a m113 would probably work better if one is penned down in front of a meth lab.

When are you going to convert it to 12 volt?

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
silverstate55,

I REALLY wanted to snap a couple of pictures of the M113 and MRAP, but I was coordinating a parade entry that combined Steel Soldiers members and the DeLand Naval Air Station Museum. There was too much stuff happening all at once, and I didn't get a chance to take pictures. :-( The M113 is painted dark grey, and the MRAP is sand inside and out. Sorry I can't tell you more than that. :-(

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
silverstate55,

I REALLY wanted to snap a couple of pictures of the M113 and MRAP, but I was coordinating a parade entry that combined Steel Soldiers members and the DeLand Naval Air Station Museum. There was too much stuff happening all at once, and I didn't get a chance to take pictures. :-( The M113 is painted dark grey, and the MRAP is sand inside and out. Sorry I can't tell you more than that. :-(
LOL, I understand, no problem...I'm sure that your fellow members in the parade were happy with your dedication & hard work.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of locking this thread and deleting comments, we will probably just be deleting (banning) those who can't keep it on track. If you have strong political thoughts on this post I suggest you write them out on paper and mail them in to someone, somewhere. I can't understand why we are still removing inappropriate posts and issuing infractions after a clearly worded, properly spelled warning was given already.

My momma said if you can't post something nice, don't post at all.

DrillerSurplus

Practice. Practice. Practice. Driving, maneuvering, getting in, getting out, stretcher/sked-co/tarp/drag drills, blind spot "figuring out", etc... ROLLOVER DRILLS... Some of your guys will be as big or bigger than some of the Soldiers that were moving in and out. Also, since you guys probably deploy CS or similar more often, do the same training in your protective masks. You may find out that the driver and/or TC would benefit from mounted protective kits (IE an M42 system vs. the M40 system). Your team may have to reconfigure their gear to make this usable.

the MRAPs are very unique beasts... This is not a "hop in and drive it" truck. make sure you specifically "license" or at least train the drivers and alternates. this is as much a safety thing as it is a (insurance) liability.
After reading this thread earlier today I saw the picture below of a 2013 Forest Service fire truck that rolled. It had hardly any miles on it.

I don't know what the center of gravity or rollover characteristics are on this MRAP, but I'd bet it is very different than anything the department has had before. Ongoing driver training will be critically important.

Attachments

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! I LOVE THE PAINT JOB ON THAT MRAP!!! :drool: :shock: It looks AWESOME!!! Is the interior still tan?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a nice looking paint job. Not fond of pea green but it's your department. It makes it look like a new truck.

Hmmm, you aren't that far from my office. I'm thinking road trip right out IN44. :)

Mikanator

What`s up with the hood? It looks like normal fiberglass/plastic. Which I would think is out of place on an MRAP. How well is the rest of the engine/trans/transfer case protected? New paint looks great!

Al Harvey

What`s up with the hood? It looks like normal fiberglass/plastic. Which I would think is out of place on an MRAP. How well is the rest of the engine/trans/transfer case protected? New paint looks great!
The hood is fiberglass. The vehicle is designed to protect it's occupants. It's not built like an APC or Tank so there is no protection for the engine or drivetrain. The idea (and it works) is that when an IED goes off it can destroy everything except the hull of the vehicle. Trying to protect the drivetrain would have added soo much more weight to these things.

steelypip

First, nice paint job. I don't know that I would have gone with flat green, but some contrast color with black lower and insets makes it actually look pretty good, which is not something I normally say about the appearance of an MRAP.

Second, I don't know why people have so much trouble understanding this: An MRAP is not tactical armor. It doesn't do what armor does. It's basically a replacement for a HMMWV or a deuce with some troops in the back and a weapon mount on the roof, with the important difference that the troops inside are a lot more likely to live through small amounts of unpleasantness dished out by locals.

They won't be driving home, and they might not be fighting back very effectively, but they will live long enough to call for support.

Al Harvey

I was never a fan of the MAXXPRO, I didn't like the hydraulic rear door. I liked the CAIMEN the best though the RG33 was just a beast, basically an armored school bus.lol

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the repaint job...Still waiting on the "POLICE/RESCUE" decals to be applied.
SWEET!! Thanks for the photos, that rig looks NICE! Interesting to note that the paint doesn't appear to be non-reflective, but I don't know of any non-federal LE agencies that have that requirement.

I'm very happy to see it being re-purposed here in the USA and not cut up for scrap or turned over to foreign forces...

Very nice, thanks for sharing!!

Another Ahab

It's too bad our entry in the parade was so far away from the MRAP. I'd have loved to poke my head inside that beast and see what it's like.
I was chasing business once at the Letterkenny Army Depot, up in Chambersburg PA, and had the opportunity to do just that (poke my head inside an MRAP):

What surprised me was how small it was inside, compared to the sheer bulk of the thing that awed you so much from outside​ (it is a LOT of massive heavy steel).

If my memory serves me right seems like the seating inside was only enough for a squad of 4-6. But somebody else will know better (it was a couple of years back for me).

Last edited:

ReubenJames

WOW! I LOVE THE PAINT JOB ON THAT MRAP!!! :drool: :shock: It looks AWESOME!!! Is the interior still tan?
Thanks...Interior is still tan....Emergency lighting, siren and radio installed today. Not sure the about the emergency lighting and siren since I don't think they will be driving it fast enough to have move too much traffic out of the way but I guess they might come in handy in some instances.

That is a nice looking paint job. Not fond of pea green but it's your department. It makes it look like a new truck.

Hmmm, you aren't that far from my office. I'm thinking road trip right out IN44​
The green was a little off for me too but it kinda grows on you. If you are in the area and want a up close inspection just PM me and I probably can accomodate that.

Another Ahab

Thinking about the MRAP I inspected at Letterkenny, I'm recalling a very distinctive V-shaped hull/chassis underneath it.

I believe the design feature was intended to divert any IED blast forces.

I'm not picking up that feature so much from your photos. Is your model different from others? Or is the feature maybe just not noticeable in the photos? OR, am I maybe remembering it wrong?

Anybody know? (I mean of course, other than the possible evidence of one man's failing memory!)

Al Harvey

If my memory serves me right seems like the seating inside was only enough for a squad of 4-6. But somebody else will know better (it was a couple of years back for me).
It all depends on which MRAP it is. The MAXPRO and CAIMEN are 4-6 personnel in the back (if memory serves me correct) but the RG33 I believe was up to 10-12.

Thinking about the MRAP I inspected at Letterkenny, I'm recalling a very distinctive V-shaped hull/chassis underneath it.

I believe the design feature was intended to divert any IED blast forces.

I'm not picking up that feature so much from your photos. Is your model different from others? Or is the feature maybe just not noticeable in the photos? OR, am I maybe remembering it wrong?

Anybody know? (I mean of course, other than the possible evidence of one man's failing memory!)
It does have the V-hull but the black paint and the items like the stairs help hide it from being seen in the photos. They make the V-hull then add everything else on afterwards that could be blown off during an IED attack ie stairs, fuel tank, exhaust, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks