• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt alternator install on 5 ton

hank2424

Well guys, here are pictures of my 12 volt alternator install on my m923. I nstalled a 1000 watt power inverter and a small 12 volt lawn mower battery, the alternator i bought from autozone part #7127 63 amp clockwise rotatation for $39.00, that also included the core fee. I then used a mr. Gasket lower installation bracket for a small block chevy, with short water pump part # 5179, who a buddy of mine had on hand. He sold it to me for $20.00. So i am noy sure what price would be at like autozone, oriellys, or napa. The belt i also got from autozone is part #15600, which is a 1/2 x 60" belt, the cost was $4.99. So here is what i did, take negative battery cable off existing 24volt system, just in case, so if you drop tools you don't fry anything. Next i loosened generator and removed belts.then it took awhile to get brackets installed so everything lined up, you will have to make some spacers to get correct alignment and support alternator from the back. I used one of the chrome tube spacer, and used a peice of flat stock, and small tube spacer (1/4) pipe and cut to length. I next installed one of the belts you removed earlier on the closest groove pulley on engine and generator. Leave generator loose at this time. So now you have alternator and one belt instlled, whew time for more liquid refreshments. I then cut the wire to length from alternator to battery box. I drlled a hole in battery box to allow wire to come through 1/2" drill bit. Then made a short pigtail fron the #2 spade terminal to the battery marking on alternator, do this prior to connecting to battery. Install battery in box and secure, connect negative wire to battery, and then positive that you installed to back of alternator and tighten, i also then connected power inverter at this time.check all conections and tighten all belts, if you have not already. Use a volt meter to check power at alternator, go from battery terminal and other to ground. You should have around 12.4 - 12.6 or so. Then i also checked power at battery to confirm voltage.(they should read the same). Ok time to start vehicle, double check for tools and such forth so they don't get caught while engine is running. Start truck, again check alternator output, mine read 15.4, when you do this watch out for fan blades, i then checked voltage at battery, again the should read the same voltage as alternator output. You are now done! Now you can run what ever 12 volt items you like, just remember to install inline fuses on your items. So here are the pictures............................

Attachments

74M35A2

Kudos.

Does it kill your 12V battery if it sits a few days? I'm not sure, but I think by having the alternator wired up like that, it is always energized?

Also, 15.4V seems a little high, charging voltage should almost always be no higher than 14's. Make sure it is not boiling your lawn mower battery or the harness. An 83' Mustang GT I owned went up in flames because the external voltage regulator stuck full on and the alternator harness boiled and then went up in a fire ball.

Last edited:

dfletcher12

I've also got a 12v alternator installed. It's a Mechman 320amp that powers a battery that's mounted in the bed of the truck. The battery powers the stereo and all of my light bars.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks