• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932 Pickup from Indianapolis. Could use advice!

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm scheduled to pick up my M932a2 from the Tibbs Ave. facility in Indianapolis this coming Wednesday afternoon. When I previewed the trucks (I looked at 30+ trucks) I started several of them, but the truck I won wasn't one that I personally have started. It's listed as a running truck, and it seems like the Indy guys (and one gal) go the extra distance as far as listing truck problems in the GL post. So, from my preview (confirmed hours, mileage, visually checked around vehicle and engine oil) and the pictures it looks like a recent rebuild (8 hours on the engine, fresh paint, little ABS warning tag still on passenger grab bar, etc.).

I'm planning on driving it home (16 miles, so not very far) and I have already contacted a local wrecker with a truck big enough to get me home as a backup (for around $375). I would be more than happy to pay someone for their time (and possibly equipment) if you are familiar with the 9 series trucks and available, or have a truck with a tow-bar and can be my backup or convoy partner, and you cost significantly less than $375!

I'm new to the big trucks, so any advice is welcome as well, but I'm not paying for that! I'm trying to attach a PDF file that has pictures of my truck on it for those who want to give 'er a once-over.

View attachment Cory’s new ride.pdf

M925

Hmmmm....I watched that auction like a HAWK...nice truck....

take an air hose for a glad hand along with a schrader value attachment and a 150 psi tire gauge....and a jug and funnel for fuel. And maybe a can of sea foam.

Check the fluids and for leaks before you leave.

Make sure the brakes work!

Read the TM for the Winch....

Drive it like you STOLE it......have fun!

Last edited:

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DJones - Great talking to you on the phone and you're instruction on how to reset the emergency fuel shutoff is invaluable!

M925 - What is the glad hand? Is that just to hook air up to the brakes for towing? I'm a total newb to big trucks with air. Indiana doesn't require a CDL for under 26K and we don't have a state air-brake endorsement, so I'm kind of just winging it!

On my to-take list right now are basic hand tools (normal car size, as I don't have any big truck tools), ether (isn't normal starting fluid ether?), 10 gallons of diesel, several quarts of 10W and a few quarts of 30W, some distilled water, portable air compressor, and my multi-meter. I'll have some hose clamps, duct tape and electrical tape as well (on my standard fix-stuff-must-have list). I've seen some sealing tape at my local napa I might pick up as well. It could help me make a field repair to a leaking hose for the short trip home.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know where exactly in the TM's I can see a picture of each of the air lines / solenoids on the transfer case so I can make sure my truck isn't stuck in AWD when I pick it up? Or, is that not really an issue for a 16 mile (below 40mph) drive home? I've been reading several threads about a lot of the rebuilt trucks having the air lines hooked up wrong, but I've only been able to find the lines in the parts TM and it doesn't show them on the transfer case itself so I'm having trouble picturing it. To me it just looks like a bunch of air lines snaking around.

I haven't finished reading the towing part of the operators manual yet (still getting myself familiar with basic starting and driving controls part of the TM) but would I need to drop a drive shaft if I have a wrecker pull me home? I assume my front tires would be in the air if I use a commercial wrecker, and again I'm looking at the short drive and leaning on the wrecker drivers experience if I have it towed home.

Thanks.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have mostly answered my own question about the AWD question. Page 84 of the operators manual (PDF form) has a good pic of the different cylinders / solenoids on the transfer case.

jw4x4

If the truck needs to be towed, either flat towed or by a wrecker, there is no need to pull any driveshafts. Make sure both the transmission and transfer case are in neutral. When operating the truck, BE SURE to pay attention to the start up/shut down sequence. If not, you stand a good chance of frying the Protective Control Box. The engine must be shut down before the power switch is turned off. Just remember- when starting up, turn on the upper switch first. When shutting down, turn off the lower switch first.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read the startup procedure but I'll have those parts of the operators TM printed out and with me. I'm hoping they'll start the truck and move it out by the gate for me (that's how they loaded out DJones), so I'll have an already-started truck delivered. Then I can check many things while running (coolant if not too hot, trans, power steering, check for fluid and air leaks, etc.). Any problem adding fuel to the tanks while running (from jerry cans, not at a station)?

Thanks for all the advice so far. Like I said, I don't have experience with this size truck so all help is appreciated and my offer of paying for assistance still stands. It won't break my bank to have a commercial wrecker but it seems like most people try to drive them home so I want to give it a shot. I should have a perfect scenario (nice GL employees, purchased only 16 miles from my house, truck had video of it running (and I verified the S/N on the video to make sure it was my truck).

Well, mostly perfect. I still have to deal with Indy traffic!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't speak intellegently for the 939 series but in most TMs, the wiring and air schematics are listed in one of the appendices.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up one of the M925A2s at Indy this past auction. If I can't get a good shipping deal I am going to drive it home myself on Friday. It appears my truck is a fresh rebuild from Kansas Readiness Sustainment

.M925A2.jpg

Makincold

You know what a "glad hand" is... You have direct experience airing up the tires on an M818 using a glad hand on the emergency air supply line....

DJones - Great talking to you on the phone and you're instruction on how to reset the emergency fuel shutoff is invaluable!

M925 - What is the glad hand? Is that just to hook air up to the brakes for towing? I'm a total newb to big trucks with air. Indiana doesn't require a CDL for under 26K and we don't have a state air-brake endorsement, so I'm kind of just winging it!

On my to-take list right now are basic hand tools (normal car size, as I don't have any big truck tools), ether (isn't normal starting fluid ether?), 10 gallons of diesel, several quarts of 10W and a few quarts of 30W, some distilled water, portable air compressor, and my multi-meter. I'll have some hose clamps, duct tape and electrical tape as well (on my standard fix-stuff-must-have list). I've seen some sealing tape at my local napa I might pick up as well. It could help me make a field repair to a leaking hose for the short trip home.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM calls it a half-coupling :)

Semantics...

I've driven a tractor-trailer before, but it has been over 10 years, and it wasn't over-the-road. I worked at Caterpillar and used a yard truck to back trailers into loading areas (flatbeds, vans, containers). Loved it, but I make more $$$ staring at my computer these days.

My previous Caterpillar co-workers would give me a hard time about driving a Cummins if they new.

Makincold

I'm really sorry...
The mods will likely delete this post as well as ban us both from the site for not using the TM nomenclature for the "half coupling"
I KNEW I should have read that TM before so carelessly replying to a post....

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't you supposed to have them memorized before you touch a MV?

Anyway, I have insurance now. Costing me $285 for six months for full coverage (through State Farm). Is it sad that this is the only vehicle I have full coverage on? Everything else is just liability insurance...

I know you guys with historic vehicles seem to get lower insurance rates than this, but I'm just glad I got it insured! Looking AOK to drive it home Wednesday.+

:driver:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For on site assitance in Indy, call Bob Rainville @ 317 710 2240. He is a SS member and has resources to get you moving.
JC

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about insurance on these Gov. Liq. vehicles to get them home. do you have to get some kind of insurance binder or what?
All I did was get insurance like I normally do for any vehicle. My insurer (State Farm) only asks for make, model, year, and mileage. Although my local agent had to call i for help figuring out how to insure a 5 ton. The insurance was done through their commercial department, so I think that's why it's on the high side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks