• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member with M211

hambone

Question about the airpak, I have taken the 6 bolts out and the L-shaped pipe but cannot get the canister apart, taped and pried a little but no movement, any suggestions?? Thanks, Hambone

SturmTyger380

Inside is a big spring that returns and keeps the plate assembly back. In the past once I got the bolts off that spring pushed the shell off. Not sure what is causing yours to be stuck. Maybe the seal is really stuck or rusted?

USMC 00-08

cannot get the canister apart, taped and pried a little but no movement, any suggestions??
I think you have corrosion inside your air canister like this. (I was not able to reuse this canister.)

100_2679.jpg

Here is the lip that fits inside the canister. (These are the parts I scrounged to make a good airpak.)

100_2676.jpg

Take a dead blow hammer and knock the fire out of the lip of the canister after you soak it in PB Blaster (or similar). Don't bend it of course. It will come loose, but may take a beating first.

100_2677.jpg

hambone

Got the airpak apart today, doesn't look very bad inside, is there anyway i can test the pak? I know I can push the big spring in and hold my finger over the other end and it hold a vacuum until I let my finger off, could I possibly get by without having to rebuild it?
IMG_0316.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg

USMC 00-08

Depends on what condition your seals are in I suppose. The internals of your airpak look different than mine. Mine has a big piston looking piece that goes inside the air canister. You can see it in the background upper left of the top picture of my last post.

I spoke with Memphis Equipment a while back and they told me as long as the internals are pristine with no corrosion, scoring or pitting, you can rebuild\reuse the airpak. They told me not draining the air tanks after each use is the number one killer of these airpaks.

The only seal I noticed that had failed on mine was the cup on part AE in the breakdown. Everything else looked great.

Another Ahab

Got the airpak apart today, doesn't look very bad inside, is there anyway i can test the pak? I know I can push the big spring in and hold my finger over the other end and it hold a vacuum until I let my finger off, could I possibly get by without having to rebuild it?

View attachment 592216
I'm not at all an answer man, but I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong hitting any rubber seals with some silicone before buttoning it all back up.

Hoping somebody else here can either support that or shoot it down.

SturmTyger380

Air tool oil is the best thing here. In fact part of the maintenance on these is to open the plug on the back of the airpack and squirt a small amount if oil inside. The air tool oil is compatible with rubber and o rings.

USMC 00-08

I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong hitting any rubber seals with some silicone before buttoning it all back up.

Hoping somebody else here can either support that or shoot it down.
There is an airpak rebuild thread over in the M35 section and they recommend using Super Lube Synthetic Grease during assembly. I will be using that and either air tool oil or hydraulic jack oil in the part SturmTyger mentioned. Someone mentioned that Bendix told them to use Permatex Hydraulic Jack Oil while others say they use air tool oil. I'm a little undecided still.

hambone

I'm going to use a little dielectric grease and tool oil and keep my fingers crossed:) It must have been rebuilt in the past because it has a different piston in the canister than the one in USMC's pak and in the parts breakdown that Plowboy provided, thanks for all the help guys, I will keep you updated. Thanks Hambone

USMC 00-08

The piston you have that goes in the canister looks exactly like what is in the M54/M809 airpak. I only know this because I pulled one apart to compare to the G749 airpak and to get the power piston. I wonder if you have the 5 ton power piston in there too? If so, you would be all set up to use the M809 airpak rebuild kit should something not be working right when you test this out.

USMC 00-08

The internals are identical except for the valve on the back side of the air canister and the inside of the power piston. The G749 airpak does not have the valve on the back of the canister and the power piston from the 5 ton will thread right into where the G749 airpak one goes.

SturmTyger380

Just the other day I was reading in the PS Mag about Army Maint guys trying to use the M34/35 master cylinder in the M211/M135. They said the G749 series had the check valve in the Airpack and that the M35 had the check valve in the Master Cylinder. They said not to have the check valve in both places! It would cause dangerous results. They explained that the check valve could be removed from the M35 master and that it would work but the effects of any pressure differences might cause issues. They also said never run without any check valves as if any air gets in the lines it would cause brake loss.

So it sounds like something that could be tried and might work if the check valve was removed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks