• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$369 Plasma Cutters at Mardens (Maine)

Katahdin

The Mardens store in Scarborough has plasma cutters for sale, the other stores around the state might have them too. Mardens is a "surplus and salvage" store chain.

The cutter appears identical to the $700 model Northern Tool sells, just painted a different color. It has good reviews both on the Northern Tool site and youtube.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342923_200342923

Yes, they are made in China. Just thought for that price some of you local SS members might be interested. One followed me home. :-D

Youtube link below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIAPGfKY2bg

3dAngus

I loved it. Great to see the comparisons on the different cutting depths. Nice video for sure, and very helpful.

Katahdin

No, the review is from someone else who has the identical Northern Tool version. Here is a pic of mine that came home today.

plasma_cutter (Medium) (2).jpg

I wanted to get the word out before reviewing it because Mardens probably has a limited supply. Their store jingle is "I Should Have Bought It When I saw It..."

Packaging looks good, comes with a one year warranty card, etc. The included manual looks pretty much identical to the one you can download from the Northern Tool site. It is an IGBT inverter plasma cutter with thermal protection, gas regulator, TRAFIMET torch, etc, all the specs match up to the Northern Tool one.

iatractor

One thing I would recommend not doing is going to your local welding supply store and asking for parts. The biggest problem with off-branded machines are that consumable items tend to be sparse in dealerships where Miller, Hypertherm, Esab, and Thermal Dynamics are the brands. Another thing to consider is that plasma parts tend to be brand-specific due to patents and license agreements. So, I will tell you this, buyer beware, and purchase your welding and cutting equipment through the professionals at welding supply companies. You don't go to the dentist for heart surgery.

Katahdin

I agree with you iatractor, but I'm not a professional metal worker, just what we call here in Maine "dubbing around." This is my first plasma cutter and $369 isn't going to set me back a whole lot, but like a good bargain shopper I did my research and found it has favorable reviews. I also slept on the purchase before going back to the store this morning to buy it. :wink:

Also a good point about consumables, on that note the cutter comes with four each of the S45 Trafimet torch tips and electrodes. These don't look don't look too hard to find, however, I found them on Amazon.com, Ebay, Northern Tool, weldingdirect.com, etc.

PS, about that Maine term:

Dubba
adj., Someone who doesn't know much, ie: doesn't know their head from their (other end). Can be shortened to Dub: "Hey, why did you throw my beer away, you dub?"

Last edited:

Katahdin

I almost didn't get to play with the plasma cutter last night, Mrs. Katahdin came home late from Boston and discovered one of our indoor cats was missing, that caused a bit of a ruckus. Luckily we found the little bugger outside in the yard under an evergreen tree.

Anywho, everything went together pretty easily and quickly. I'm now going to insert a couple name brands for those who might be critical I bought a knock off plasma cutter. :wink: The 220 plug that comes with this plasma torch is the same NEMA type that my MILLERMATIC 211 mig welder uses, that saved a bit of time, I didn't have to re-wire anything or make an adapter cord. The plasma cutter does not come with an air hose fitting, luckily I had some spares around. I threaded a fitting in then plugged an air hose from my CRAFTSMAN 80 gal air compressor into the back of the cutter, adjusted the air regulator knob to 60psi, attached the ground clamp to a piece of scrap, flicked the power switch, and she was off cutting. I played around with some 16 gauge and 3/8" scrap. Yup, it cuts! I must say, plasma cutting is pretty cool. :burn:

Katahdin

HA! I didn't mess with the cat. Let's just say that after Mrs. Katahdin came home late and tired only to find one of her cat's missing....on my watch....and fully knowing that I had bought a plasma cutter without her prior knowledge....Lets just say I wasn't going tempt my fate any further!

DeucesWild11

Wish I was closer to that store, I just used a plasma cutter the other day cutting out new lug holes on two new rims for my old backhoe which has rims that no one has ever seen before. Anyway the junkyard guy let me use his cutter to make new lug holes in the two new (old) rims. I looked at the Northern Tool cutter and it's on my list of things to get. They also have re-conditioned units at $500 even right now for those not close to ME..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks