• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Tech & Tips

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The BII for the truck is supposed to include a 10" 3/4" x 7/8" open end wrench and a 7.5" 12pt offset angle flare nut tube wrench.

The open end wrench NSN is 5120-01-373-8833 which comes back as Moore CC and Co Engineers P/N BW-731A
Flare nut wrench is 5120-01-387-0055 which comes back as Oshkosh P/N 2022970 and Idsc Holdings LLC (Snap On) P/N XB24280TC

Does anybody know what these tools are used for on the truck?

Maybe the flare nut wrench is to install the limp home plug?

ke5eua

I actually would like to know if any of yal have theories what would cause that on that type of truck.
The truck was having charging issues on the 24v side.

I shut down all non essential items and my guess is the batteries got so drained the overall load was just to much and the engine computer just shut down.

It seemed like a regulator issue tbh as it would charge fine one min and then go deep in the red.

Thing with 24v systems is once one battery takes a dive the whole system goes down with it.

Same goes for parallel battery setups. Your system is only as good as the weakest battery.

Most of the electronics are 12v in the 1070 but once that last battery went past 9 volts the 12v alternator was in overdrive as the computer was getting low voltage readings.

Since I had the headlights on that added a little draw on the 12v side, all the other lights were led so the draw was minimal.

The Detroit drank oil, didn't give any indentations of leaks, she just liked her gin and juice. Pressure was good at the time of stall so I know she wasn't low again.

Did have an issue with the down pipe blowing off the muffler, even after blowing it out it still blew off. That wouldn't have caused the stall as I ran her for about 40 miles with the muffler off before I was able to stop and fix it.

The 1070 will run like a beast when properly maintained. She looked good on the outside, sounded good, and ran decent for over a thousand miles. Had minor issues, some mainly me being forgetful of the quirks these trucks have.

I hope that helps answer your question a little. Anything else don't be shy, ask and I'll answer or someone else will chime in.

HETvet

The BII for the truck is supposed to include a 10" 3/4" x 7/8" open end wrench and a 7.5" 12pt offset angle flare nut tube wrench.

The open end wrench NSN is 5120-01-373-8833 which comes back as Moore CC and Co Engineers P/N BW-731A
Flare nut wrench is 5120-01-387-0055 which comes back as Oshkosh P/N 2022970 and Idsc Holdings LLC (Snap On) P/N XB24280TC

Does anybody know what these tools are used for on the truck?

Maybe the flare nut wrench is to install the limp home plug?
Ctis wrench and a multi purpose opened end.

Rick007

My M1070 would stall or derate when I first got it home. The culprit was the computer. I sent it to Inland Power Group in Butler WI. Ray in the parts dept was terrific. It could be corrosion between the computer and cooling plate which effects its ground.Although that's a common problem not the case for mine.Mine would run good till it shifted into first gear at a stop. Then it would just shut off when RPMs came down at the stop. It started right up after shutting off. Except the one time at the busiest intersection it stalled. Everybody just looked at it amazed at its size as they navigated around it. We pulled it out of the intersection then it started right up. Enough of that I towed it to a fellow I trusted to check it out.After spending a lot of hours working on it checking wiring systems etc. Its hard to diagnose a truck that runs. He thought the computer might be the problem. I sent it to Inland and in under a week had it back. It runs good and doesn't stall. Oh and the fellow that I trusted. glad I took it to him he charged me 50% of the bill for the time he had in it. Felt he learned a bit in the process.That doesn't happen everyday:-D

ke5eua

My M1070 would stall or derate when I first got it home. The culprit was the computer. I sent it to Inland Power Group in Butler WI. Ray in the parts dept was terrific. It could be corrosion between the computer and cooling plate which effects its ground.Although that's a common problem not the case for mine.Mine would run good till it shifted into first gear at a stop. Then it would just shut off when RPMs came down at the stop. It started right up after shutting off. Except the one time at the busiest intersection it stalled. Everybody just looked at it amazed at its size as they navigated around it. We pulled it out of the intersection then it started right up. Enough of that I towed it to a fellow I trusted to check it out.After spending a lot of hours working on it checking wiring systems etc. Its hard to diagnose a truck that runs. He thought the computer might be the problem. I sent it to Inland and in under a week had it back. It runs good and doesn't stall. Oh and the fellow that I trusted. glad I took it to him he charged me 50% of the bill for the time he had in it. Felt he learned a bit in the process.That doesn't happen everyday:-D
That problem sort of sounds very similar to the truck I was driving. Would stall when dropping into first. Coupled with the charging issue I bet it was the darn computer messing up.

I'll defiantly pass that on to the owner for his guy to check that out.

Rick007

DieselFreak Thanks a lot for the information. Its great coming from someone who really knows. My Het will be used about 1500 miles a year to veterans events and functions. It has 741 miles on it since a Oshkosh rebuild in 2004. I would like the vehicle to do 55mph. I really don't want to do injector changing etc. If I take it to a fellow that can get into the computer what parameters does he change? We live in an area with Cummins and Cats. Detroits are very rare. Any guidance would be great Thanks Rick

Rick007

ke5eua

DieselFreak Thanks a lot for the information. Its great coming from someone who really knows. My Het will be used about 1500 miles a year to veterans events and functions. It has 741 miles on it since a Oshkosh rebuild in 2004. I would like the vehicle to do 55mph. I really don't want to do injector changing etc. If I take it to a fellow that can get into the computer what parameters does he change? We live in an area with Cummins and Cats. Detroits are very rare. Any guidance would be great Thanks Rick
From my understanding from the guy who had is computer replaced the het load is proprietorial and Oshkosh has to change the values.

I know when we couldn't mess with anything on our miltopes, Oshkosh reps had their secret squirrel software to change stuff.

Df would know for sure, he has spent more time with Oshkosh and the reps than me that's for sure.

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good read here. I've been around the Detroit Diesel's a bit from 6v92ta Silver's to the 8v92tta Silvers. I did a bunch of work with an Oshkosh Snowblower that had the 8v92TTA...twin turbo's...It was rated at 750h.p....we had it detuned down to 580h.p. and moved the max...rpm's up to 2400rpm's. The change was injectors. I believe the bill was about $300ea with core....

Now lately I've been messing around with two gen set's...550kw...and they have two 8v92TA simeased together for a 16cyl....still trying to figure out all the specs on these. They are beasts....The muffler alone is 10' long and 2.5' wide.

Now with the M1070...ddec 3 and the electronic computer stuff...it shouldn't be too hard. I'll keep you posted what I find out.

I've also been working with a gentleman who will remain anonymous for now re: the Axles on the Oshkosh. I've been trying to see if it's possible to see my options for more speed....Also maybe getting an axle disconnect...and then installing an air up option on #2 & 3 axle. There may be a possibility to get the speed w/o changing the engine parameters...but will see. Once I get the info...I'll let you all know.

ke5eua

Good read here. I've been around the Detroit Diesel's a bit from 6v92ta Silver's to the 8v92tta Silvers. I did a bunch of work with an Oshkosh Snowblower that had the 8v92TTA...twin turbo's...It was rated at 750h.p....we had it detuned down to 580h.p. and moved the max...rpm's up to 2400rpm's. The change was injectors. I believe the bill was about $300ea with core....

Now lately I've been messing around with two gen set's...550kw...and they have two 8v92TA simeased together for a 16cyl....still trying to figure out all the specs on these. They are beasts....The muffler alone is 10' long and 2.5' wide.

Now with the M1070...ddec 3 and the electronic computer stuff...it shouldn't be too hard. I'll keep you posted what I find out.

I've also been working with a gentleman who will remain anonymous for now re: the Axles on the Oshkosh. I've been trying to see if it's possible to see my options for more speed....Also maybe getting an axle disconnect...and then installing an air up option on #2 & 3 axle. There may be a possibility to get the speed w/o changing the engine parameters...but will see. Once I get the info...I'll let you all know.
Speed can be increased in its current form, it has been done in Iraq and Afghanistan with the Oshkosh reps. Just need to get someone with full ddec capability that wants to sit down and write a custom map for it.

The power is there, just have to unleash it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks