• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding year for M939A2 trucks for SF97

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M932A2 doesn't have the delivery date on the serial number tag. Is there anything on the frame somewhere that will tell me the year? The GL posting listed it as a 1991, but I can't find anything to back it up.

The older the better for me, as it gets me closer to having antique plates (once it's over 25 years old) which will suit my use of the truck better than standard truck plates.

There is fresh paint on this truck, and I don't see any other data plates with make model year or anything, nothing written on the doors, etc. Here is a pic of my plate w/ serial number and what I think are rebuild tags:

IMG_0254[1].jpgIMG_0253[1].jpg

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at auctions of the same model truck for serial numbers that were close to mine and used the year listed for the auction truck. Sometimes Carnac can come up with the year in his VIN thread if you post there.

If the auction listing says it's 1991, it is probably right. Unless you have a reason to question it, I wouldn't worry about it. The SF-97 will come back with whatever you put on the form.

Gunzy

That ID# is very close to the one I'm parting out. I would say you have a '91 as that is what mine has for delivery date. Also, I haven't seen a BMY M932 older than that. Now that doesn't mean there aren't older ones, just haven't seen one listed on GL or anywhere else.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help. Where is the VIN on the frame? I want to double check that and make sure if matches my data plate before I fill out my SF-97.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just found paperwork confirming my trucks rebuild. It was rebuilt at Camp Shelby, MS in October 2011 then shipped to Indy. It even had warranty paperwork! Sweet!

Gunzy

Sounds like problem solved. I have never looked but they say there is a ID# on the frame by the steering gear I think.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M939A2s were made from 1989 through 1992 so that should limit it some. I have seen a few A2s listed as 88s, but I don't think that is correct from the people I have spoken to. I know the guy who bought out BMY after the A2 run and he has all of the records. While I will try to help find parts if they are needed, he won't reply to information requests. To be honest, he mainly wants to deal with military contractors and not us hobbyists with the requests of 1's and 2's in parts, but he will help me out. I met this guy through another M939 series buddy some years back when the trucks were rare. That is probably why he still deals with me.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I confirmed the VIN on the frame rail. It was just behind the driver side front tire. It was actually very easy to read, not painted over too thick. I didn't see anything anywhere about the year of the truck, but I'm just going to go with the GL description of 1991 and call it good. I now have all the other info I need for the SF-97. Thank you for all your help.

mcmullag

I found military paperwork in mine showing what unit was turning it in and what date they were turning it in and how much they paid for it. I bet GL had that paperwork and that's how they know the year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks