• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with 24v winch ID

subgeniuskitty

I've been a lurker for a while but this is my first post. I'm not sure if this is the right area for this post. I did a search of the archives and noticed a lot of winch related posts here. If it should be elsewhere, please let me know and I'll repost.

I'm selling my '67 Ford F-250 and building an '83 F-600 to replace it. I want to snag the winch off the front of my F-250 and put it in the middle of the F-600 with pulleys to allow it to pull items up the bed as well as pull the truck from the front or rear. The problem is the winch hasn't run in a couple years. It ran when I first bought the truck but has sat since. Today I hooked up some 24v to it and the motor would hum but wouldn't turn. The winch turns if I use the 1/2" ratchet drive by hand.

I'm trying to track down a manual or parts diagram or any sort of info. Maybe you guys will know more about this thing?

From the data plate:

Westinghouse
Cargo Hoist Power Unit
MFR's Part No: A19A6168
Specification: BOEING 10-359-2K
Volts: 26
Amps: 181
HP: 2.86
RPM: 12
Rated: 15,000 lbs
Serial: JY2632

EDIT: Found a picture. It's hard to see the winch since the pic is of the whole truck but you can see the rough dimensions and shape.

Also, does anyone know what this came from originally?

Attachments

acetomatoco

If it hums, it may not know the words to the song.. However could be as simple as the armature being dirty or a hung up brush.. Where are you getting 24V on a F250? Possibly not enough amperage... what does your voltmeter do when you try to run winch? Etcetera... ACE

subgeniuskitty

My F-250 has complete 12v and 24v circuits; both with their own alternators, battery banks, etc. :) It had quite a few military toys hooked up to it over the years such as a huge 24v heater for the winter, M200A1 trailer(also for sale), etc.

It should have enough amps as both batteries will supply over 500CCA if I recall and they were both fully charged. Today I was going to see if my arc welder is around 24v and if so, to give it a swing with that just in case it was a battery problem.

It looks like the winch is put together in sections that are bolted together. For example, the gears, the clutch, the motor, etc are all separate units. I'm thinking of taking it apart and working on one at a time. That would let me get just the motor out and see if it spins freehand, see if it will run with no load, clean it up, etc. Where would be an appropriate place to post questions when I get to that point?

Tomoldcars

I realize I’m resurrecting a post slightly over a few weeks old, but this relates to his Westinghouse Cargo Hoist Power Unit. Mine is Boeing spec. 10-359-H and Serial number A19A6168 it has the same MFR's Part No. I also have a military Onen 24 VDC generator to run it. I was originally going to make it into a winch but it didn’t come with the drum and cable. I never got around to fabricating one and sold the equipment trailer it was to go on so I’m not sure what to do with them. This post is the only reference to it I could find with Google and several other search engines. It is also the first time I’ve seen the drum. I was told by the person I got it from it ran on a rail attached to the roof of a Lockheed C130 cargo bay. It is a beautiful work of aircraft art but with kind of limited applications. I come open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help, Tom

Tomoldcars

I un-buried the power unit this weekend but the generator is slightly larger and deeper. It is your standard OD 2cyl OHV 24V military unit. It hasn’t been run in years so it needs the standard resurrection ceremony. I have pictures of the crane motor so, if I can navigate your picture program, you’ll see them. When I got it I hit it with a couple of twelve volt batteries and it ran fine. If there is interest, I’ll pull and picture the generator.

Thanks, Tom

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I love to see the stuff that isn't seen everyday! Post up more when you have time!

I have a buddy with a hoist motor for setting turrets. I'll see if I can get some pics of that posted.

Kearney99

Do you still have it? It is for a Boeing C-97. We are in need of a good working motor because ours just crapped out

Please advise

Kevin Kearney
Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation
www.spiritoffreedom.org
C-97 “Angel of Deliverance”

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks