• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 in the Navy!?!

crazycasey

Hey folks,

I hope everybodies Sunday is treating them alright so far. I was just curious...did the Navy use M211's?

I recently picked up a 1954 M211 that was converted to a dump truck in the 70's, and I've slowly been trying to convert it back to a cargo truck. It was done up in Forrest Green with Army-esqu markings (I say esque because the serial numbers look suspiciously like somebodies birthdate), and I want to make everything a little more "correct".

I started looking at pictures of trucks online, and it got me wondering...did the Navy ever use the M211? My dad was a SeaBee on Diego Garcia in '71-'73. He fondly remembers driving around an old Deuce and a Half that they had over there; they even parked it out on the reef on night at low tide, and then when the tide came in it looked like it was floating in the middle of the ocean. He can't tell me much about the truck, other than that it had an automatic transmission...I wonder if it was a GMC?

Anyway, I can't find any info on Navy paint and markings for Deuce and a Halfs, and I don't have any idea if a Navy M211 is even correct, but it sure would be neat and different to do mine up that way. Any thoughts?

Oh, and since everybody loves pictures:
image.jpg

Ken S

I know this is an old thread but I thought this photo of my US Navy M211 cab in Australia, might help someone. I don't know any history it came as part of a deal with my M216. The plate on the dash has the DOD etc. blank.
M211 US NAVY (5) Right door.jpg
Ken

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks