• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hearing Protection

KaiserM109

Does anybody have a recommendation for hearing protection when driving a truck?

While driving my M923A1 from Georgia to Texas I started out using my shooting muffs, the $50 variety. I found that when I was traveling below about 35 MPH they were great, BUT when I got above 40 there was a low frequency sound, almost a rumble, that the muffs actually made worse. I had to take them off. The rumbling is probably coming from the tires which are Michelin XLs with big lugs.

At Thanksgiving time I am going to bring the truck the rest of the way home to Colorado and I’d like to know what others’ experiences have been and what your recommendations are. I would also like to know about intercoms and radio/MP3 hookups.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Peltor Powercoms. These have a built in FRS and GMRS radio. They work good as an intercom between passengers and also links up with other vehicles close by (convoy or chase car).

3dAngus

I usually double up with plugs and muffs, but after an hour of driving, for some reason, the muffs alone seemed suitable and I discarded the plugs.

I don't know if it was because the engine and drivetrain were all warmed up (it was driving much better too, with better overall response), or if I was just becoming tone deaf at the time. :3dAngus:

jw4x4

Using ear buds and an ipod/iphone or similar MP3 works best. The music cancels out the steady tone of the tires/engine. Ear plugs are fine for short distances, but for a long trip, ear buds are indispensable.

Cruceno

I got the 'Worktunes' by 3M. They work great at cutting out the harmful noise, and allow me to pipe in a little music (making the ride much more enjoyable).

Personally, I think shooting style headphones are the worst! I tried using a pair that had a mic/speaker system that, like you say, seemed to amplify certain tones at speed. Steer clear of those.

Ideally, I'd like to get a 'comms' type system that would allow my to communicate with a passenger or chase car, but I'm perfectly happy with my present system

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a VIC 1 system in the deuce and it does wonders for ear protection and also I am able to talk to the Copilot. Really comes in handy.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
DANG, I wish I knew you were coming, I had some stuff you could have brought out of GA and I could have given you some fuel money. Oh well.

BTW, I use PELTORs.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have the Peltor Powercoms and have worn aviation headsets for many hours while flying. Headsets get uncomfortable after awhile so if I'm not talking to someone it's the foam ear plugs for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks