• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need info identifying the Onan engine model in our mep003a genset

peregrine 77

Hello, my name is Greg Barnes and I am repairing an Onan powered (I know
here comes the hard part), military genset. It is a mep003a 10,00KVA air
cooled diesel. The only numbers found on the block
are not stamped, rather casting numbers, 2386 and under the starter,
170-3013, that I pray can help you identify this engine as I need to
order some parts.

Any help would be of great assistance.

I also have the fuel tank, complete with gauge and mounting straps and
no rust. I have no use for this tank.

Thanks,
Greg

Isaac-1

The engines on the MEP-003a are a special 3.5 inch bore militarized version of the 3.25 inch bore Onan DJC, which should probably be called a DJF-M ( however there was no civilian air cooled diesel J series 4 cylinder engine, only water cooled, or 2 cylinder models) they have some parts in common with the civilian DJB,DJC, DJE, and RDJF, however they also have a lot of unique stuff. Parts can be hard to find, even for the civilian J series now since production stopped almost 20 years ago. What are you looking for in particular?

Ike

ps extra information added

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What parts are you looking for? myself and some others here have parts motors and some new/reconditioned parts.

Guyfang

Staff member
Partner, go to the TM section here in SS. Download all the manuals for the MEP-003A. Read the -12 manual first. Get smart on your gen set. THEN you can try and get it running. If you need parts, use the -24P manual. If you are unfamiliar with army manuals, let us know. We can help you understand them. For best results, read old threads for problems you have. You're NOT going to see anything that has not been seen before in this forum. Believe me! There are threads that will tell you the who, what, when and where of how to service and repair this thing. The civilian part numbers for all the filters and all that kind of thing. Its all here. We can walk you through troubleshooting if you need the help. Everything you need to be able to fix this gen set in in the books. Between the books and a bunch of real smart guys in this forum, you will have this baby up and running. Good luck!

Triple Jim

According to the forum rules:

"It is OK to post an item for sale if it is done in an effort to help another member or if the need for a part comes up during the course of a restoration or repair thread."
I had the impression that RetCav was letting peregrine 77 know his 400 Hz generator was available in case RetCav could use the engine off it to get his 003A running.

Triple Jim

Ha, well I was caught by that old forum thing... not checking the post dates when someone wakes up a long dead thread. I guess it's possible RetCav didn't notice either, only he knows for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks