• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Navy Destroyer

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zumwalt. The CNO when I went in. Then the new CNO changed the long-hair Navy back to a disciplined Navy.

Another Ahab

Slick. Wonder how it qualifies as a Destroyer? Looks like it should be qualified as a Cruiser (just by the size and by the sounds of it, the firepower also).

Gotta check my "Jane's Fighting Ships".

Hey, but what do I know?! No Fleet in my background; I was Seabee Navy.

I'll check those definitions now.

Bill W

When I look at that bow all I think is "Remember the Maine!" ( for you lubbers, that a Spanish American war slogan :wink: )

steelypip

The DDG1000 is definitely not your father's destroyer, no matter who your father was. The ship is a floating testbed for all kinds of interesting stuff. I had a very little bit to do with some of the stuff aboard her, so am more than slightly interested to see what succeeds and what doesn't. The most interesting stuff is deep under the skin, and the generalities of it are public information. You know it's an interesting design: the project has been going on for a very long time and has nearly been canceled at least four time that I know of. But the Navy's right on this one - you don't win the next war with the last war's technology, and the Navy hasn't rolled anything really new out since the first generation of the Aegis suite.

Her shape is optimized for low radar return from all angles while not impeding operational effectiveness. She's a logical follow-on to the Littoral Combat Ships the Navy has been building over the last decade - a blue-water ship with baked-in stealth, DDG force projection capabilities, modern power, sensor and control technologies.

The answer to Another Ahab's question is: it's what the Navy says it is. Just like the Japanese navy says their new 'destroyer' is a destroyer, even though it looks a whole lot like an assault carrier. Our 'destroyers' have really been frigates since at least the Arleigh Burke class came out, if not before - they're big and powerful enough to be effective single combatants and are capable of extended independent operation, which has been the traditional difference between a frigate and a smaller post ship going all the way back to wooden ships with sails and blackpowder guns.

Another proof that our destroyers really are frigates: they do frigate jobs. Destroyers haven't historically been used for the kind of work that the Arleigh Burkes generally do after the end of the cold war. If you're not planning on going to war with another massed fleet or landing divisions of troops under fire, you don't need a massed fleet full of specialized vessels. But you generally do need ships capable of showing the flag and doing/supporting small unit operations. The DDGs have grown into that general purpose ship - they can act as cold-war-style defensive pickets for a carrier battle group or (more commonly) run around alone or in small groups and do whatever needs to be done.

Another Ahab

When I look at that bow all I think is "Remember the Maine!" ( for you lubbers, that a Spanish American war slogan :wink: )
Thanks for all the background steelypip, great stuff.

What IS the story on that bow (if not classified), why the reverse rake; what's that do to performance?

DrillerSurplus

Surplus ship sold on GSA 2012

A friend who thinks I get a little carried away with military surplus sent me this back in April 2012. This was built in 1985- who knows what's under development now.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk US NAVY SEA SHADOW
SEA SHADOW..jpg
"- - -top secret experimental vessel built for the US Navy in the 1980s at a cost of $190 million. Production on the vessel was completed in 1985, but the public weren’t aware of its existence until1993.
Now the Sea Shadow, which was the inspiration for the villain’s boat in the 1997James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies, could be yours for a fraction of that price after being put up for sale on US government’s GSA auction site, an eBay-style website.

But don’t expect to sail off on any undercover missions – the 563-ton vessel is being sold for scrap. Bidding for the Sea Shadow from salvage dealers had reached $100,420 yesterday, and the auction closes this coming Thursday. The authorities hoped to find a museum to house it, but it is now for sale on the GSA Auctions website for military products.

SEA SHADOW in hanger.jpg
SEA SHADOW.jpg

It
comes with its own floating garage/dry dock324 feet long x 106’ wide.

SEA SHADOW's hanger.jpg

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigh...I miss the days when our combat ships had big guns on them. Now they look like a B-movie prop and fight the enemy with harsh language.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting ships they are building now.

That bow reminds of the old HMS Dreadnought style battleships.

Cheers

Another Ahab

Sigh...I miss the days when our combat ships had big guns on them. Now they look like a B-movie prop and fight the enemy with harsh language.
A lesson of history is that nations prepare for the next war thinking it will be like the last one, and "it ain't necessarily so".

Newly appointed French supreme commander Maxime Weygand noted after the Blitzkreig of WWII that "We have gone to war with a 1918 army against a German army of 1939. It is sheer madness". French, British (and for that matter American) leaders had all slept through a revolution in warfare (and to our credit, for THAT conflict anyway, we later caught on real fast).

Right now you add up the treasure expended to put a soldier in the field, and if the Enemy's strategy is to bleed our coffers dry and lead us by the nose to an eventual fiscal implosion, they just might be succeeding. I mean, what's the cost per combatant to ferry a squad around in an MRAP?

And whose to say but that the next "war" might just be a keyboard/ cyber war anyway, where all the slick-looking heavy hardware will only become just REAL expensive scrap? Who knows?

I'm backing off now; treading in the political danger zone here, I reckon.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks