• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me Fontaine M172A1

Tranham

Just picked up a M172a1 trailer in a trade. Also got a nice M818 modified with a 13 speed transmission. It will do 70 at 2000 rpm! I put a gooseneck ball on the frame below the 5th wheel to tow my gooseneck trailer with my halftrack on it. Got some 12/24 multivolt lights and I'm working on get the brakes going as well. Here some pics. It's still 3-5 inches higher in front than I would like. But I imagine the track will lower it a little.

http://i.imgur.com/diOJNDY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IlwzPnu.jpg

The military trailer is great but I don't know that I need it unless one day I get a Stuart tank or something. Has been upgraded with modern double chamber air brakes, take the air off the line and the wheels won't move. Some new wood but needs more. Tires are real good. and lights work. The question is should I keep a trailer like this for 1 or 2 parades a year? You might ask, why not use it for the halftrack. Mostly because the ramps weigh more than I can handle and I also have a 37mm Antitank gun that won't fit with the halftrack on the trailer.

http://i.imgur.com/M4e8zNk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/P2ok2bA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FFT67ld.jpg

Thanks!

Robert

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does the 818 still have front wheel drive and is the tranesfer case still used ?????

Tranham

Yes, it's over wide as well. Which does me no good either.

The m818 has front wheel drive does work. it has a switch on the dash that locks it in for both forward and rearward travel. So if you have it set for forward it won't turn the front wheels going backward. No transfer case, just an overdrive switch on the shifter for the top 5 gears

Robert

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you get all DOT'd up you will find that overwidth trip permits for the 172 are no big deal. The ramps are for sure a PITA or PITB (back).

quickfarms

Yes, it's over wide as well. Which does me no good either.

The m818 has front wheel drive does work. it has a switch on the dash that locks it in for both forward and rearward travel. So if you have it set for forward it won't turn the front wheels going backward. No transfer case, just an overdrive switch on the shifter for the top 5 gears

Robert
How does the front wheel drive work without a transfer case?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The reason I ask about the front wheel drive, the Fuller trans is a wide trans, did not think the front drive shaft would clear.

How much room between the trans and the transfer case ????, about how long is the connecting drive shaft, is the transfer a 39/809 series or a 939 series,???

rkxswat

The PD I work for acquired a 172A1 trailer for transporting an M113 APC. My mechanic is all bent about the lack of "spring brakes". Did you do the brake upgrade? Any information on that would be extremely helpful. By the way, I converted our ramps to spring assisted flip-up style. I can load and unload the 113 by myself. The trailer is a beauty for a 1967.

rkxswat

iPhone Pics 369.jpgThe PD I work for acquired a 172A1 trailer for transporting an M113 APC. My mechanic is all bent about the lack of "spring brakes". Did you do the brake upgrade? Any information on that would be extremely helpful. By the way, I converted our ramps to spring assisted flip-up style. I can load and unload the 113 by myself. The trailer is a beauty for a 1967.

AaronHorrocks

I have an M172A1, and I need ramps for it. Do you have original ramps?
Also I'm missing the plates that go in the deck over the tires. It looks like you have those. My trailer is in a museum right now, and we'd like to fix it up to put it to use.
We'd really appreciate it if you could take photos and measurements so we can make a couple reproductions.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have an M172A1, and I need ramps for it. Do you have original ramps?
Also I'm missing the plates that go in the deck over the tires. It looks like you have those. My trailer is in a museum right now, and we'd like to fix it up to put it to use.
We'd really appreciate it if you could take photos and measurements so we can make a couple reproductions.
Thanks in advance

Check with member NDT for some ramps.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ramps all gone, email sent, suggest anyone needing ramps for a M172 forget the stupid 400 lb heavy military ramps and get commercial aluminum ones.

rkxswat

Don’t know where you could get a set. I welded these to the trailer with hinges and springs. One man job to flip up and down. The suggestion for aluminum ramps is a good one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks