• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crane Ideas?

RAYZER

By removing the jack, it allows the boom to fold down, it does pin near the top. crane.jpg 20170427_160932.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would have thought you'd put a Ubolt there to hook to Ray, thats gonna mess up the paint if you keep hooking on as shown in the pics.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet, what kind of crane is that, any description of the building procedure?

In the early days, I was thinking about removing the front rack of the dump bed on my M51 and try get a knuckleboom crane from the Czech Praga V3S military truck in between the bed and the cabin.

14 V3S day buk 12_resize.JPG v3s ruka free.jpg

Above the original crane on the V3S, and a free one offered for sale some time ago

M51A2-bill-392-15c_resize.jpg

For those not yet in the know, the V3S is the Czech version of the Deuce, with an absurd short cut-off nose and small engine. They keep moving forever, and are now often used as farm trucks or by small rural building companies.

Another Ahab

For those not yet in the know, the V3S is the Czech version of the Deuce, with an absurd short cut-off nose and small engine. They keep moving forever, and are now often used as farm trucks or by small rural building companies.
How do you pick one up, as in:

- Who do you buy them from, the State?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most are in private hands, although the state sells them off occasionally as well. I have no idea how they ever ended up in private hands, maybe as part of the 1993 restitution of properties and equipment stolen by communists, or in very early surplus sales. They used to go for around $$ 1,000.

However, now people realize that they are popular and very useful,a nd becoming a collector's item. So fully restored nice once can go for as much as 10K. Nevertheless, looking around locally, you probably still can pick one up in reasonable condition for around 2K - 3K.

They came in all variations, including a full-blown crane, radio van and armored personnel carrier

winfred

i had a amusing crane idea ill bounce off the hive mine and see if it sticks, how about basing the crane out of a 105 trailer? 4 folding outriggers with adjustable feet and 24v power it off a slave cable so its self contained with the pump on the trailer, being hooked to the truck would lend a bit of stability too. i kinda want a crane but really want/need a dump bed and those two don't exactly get along if the crane is couple ton able, maybe a autocrane or something else scavengeable of the same class that can be based off a pedestal and has power rotate

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I put a dump bed on an M353 trailer and plan to power it off the slave port. It would be pretty easy to put a crane on the tounge of one. Might look into finding an M353.

rustystud

i had a amusing crane idea ill bounce off the hive mine and see if it sticks, how about basing the crane out of a 105 trailer? 4 folding outriggers with adjustable feet and 24v power it off a slave cable so its self contained with the pump on the trailer, being hooked to the truck would lend a bit of stability too. i kinda want a crane but really want/need a dump bed and those two don't exactly get along if the crane is couple ton able, maybe a autocrane or something else scavengeable of the same class that can be based off a pedestal and has power rotate
I've actually seen that done on a civilian two axle trailer. There is a crane company out here that has one. It is a bit bigger then two tons though.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must has forgot to post my pictures here. I still need to make a pocket for the front bumper mount...IMG_3456.jpgIMG_3463.jpgused parts of an old engine hoist with a bad cylinder that was given to me. Bought a new air powered cylinder from Harbor Freight.IMG_3871.jpgIMG_3883.jpgAlso added a small winch.IMG_3886.jpgLoad tested to 1000lb.IMG_3889.jpgIMG_3894.jpgCan almost use it to pull the head.

Last edited:

rustystud

I must has forgot to post my pictures here. I still need to make a pocket for the front bumper mount...View attachment 751561View attachment 751562used parts of an old engine hoist with a bad cylinder that was given to me. Bought a new air powered cylinder from Harbor Freight.View attachment 751563View attachment 751564Also added a small winch.View attachment 751565Load tested to 1000lb.View attachment 751566View attachment 751567Can almost use it to pull the head.
I like your idea of having two cranes like that ! Did you need to add a plate under the one on the bed ?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s actually the same crane in different stages of the build. You just lift it out of the one pocket and drop it in another.IMG_3736.jpg I’m missing some build pictures, but this one shows the tube that I welded below the bed, then tied it into the side and rear rails of the bed with full length vertical steel webs. I’ll get a few more pictures tomorrow.

77 AMG

*VERY* nice movable set-up, Jbulach. I have contemplating something similar to this, and you have given "proof of concept." Looking forward to more pictures! Thank you for sharing!

77 AMG

Cool follow up. Question... Have you considered capping the bottom of the "down pipe" to help cut down on road debris getting up in it? Leave a "clean out" so that you can clean it out from the inevitable gunk getting there, maybe a "lever" type boat bilge plug? Down here in KY, MUD is a big problem for some of us. Definitely incorporating some design points, if you don't mind, sir?

Last edited:

DB556

Well this is the knuckle boom crane I'm going to mount on my m35a2 (once I actually get a m35a2) I want it stored at the top of bed behind the cab but I want to use it at the tailgate so I'll rig up a slider for the base, and then use some channel under the bed to mount it to the frame and use some drop in pins to lock it in the deployed position.
I'm also going to put a 50-60amp alternator on it to charge the motor battery and to run the winch and a few led light bars on the arm. For a light plant/crane thing.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks