• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crane Ideas?

rustystud

It’s actually the same crane in different stages of the build. You just lift it out of the one pocket and drop it in another.View attachment 751606 I’m missing some build pictures, but this one shows the tube that I welded below the bed, then tied it into the side and rear rails of the bed with full length vertical steel webs. I’ll get a few more pictures tomorrow.
That is a slick idea ! I think I might have to copy it for my deuce.

rustystud

Cool follow up. Question... Have you considered capping the bottom of the "down pipe" to help cut down on road debris getting up in it? Leave a "clean out" so that you can clean it out from the inevitable gunk getting there, maybe a "lever" type boat bilge plug? Down here in KY, MUD is a big problem for some of us. Definitely incorporating some design points, if you don't mind, sir?
I think the way he has it is better then capping the bottom. This way the debris will just drop out since there is nothing to hold it in. It's when you hold stuff in or create pockets to catch the crud that rust happens.
Good job "Jbulach" .

77 AMG

Yeah, I thought about the pipe being left open, but, I have also had to clean out left open areas like that. It gets to be a PITA when dealing with heavy/thick mud like we have here, sometimes clay based at that. I thinking the "plug" would more for stuff like water/ rain, but, I see what you are saying as well, Rusty. YMMV?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, just as well off just leaving it open, a lot of other nooks and crevices down there that are going to collect mud that you would typically want to wash out anyhow.

You could make my removable can plug sit flush with the bottom pocket tube, and cap the bottom of it, that way there would be no real space for mud to go up in there Except for the small gap around the circumference.

winfred

i have a couple semi floating truck axles saved im thinking about doing the pocket and socket thing with one of, couple bearings in the right spots and it outta be strong and swing easily, if the bearings are sized right with the pocket it would be pull outable to store outta the elements

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just a thing to for moving mounted tires, toolboxes full, and stuff in and out
of truck without breaking anything or getting hurt. $134 bucks total HFright crane.
It swings between trucks and loading docks, no Jeeps.
Pictures for the General.
IMG_0740.jpgIMG_0743.jpgIMG_0744.jpgIMG_0746.jpgIMG_0747.jpg
and troop seats still work as per design
Photos out of order, Oh well. and I gave away all the extra bolts for it I had bought.
IMG_0747.jpgIMG_0748.jpgIMG_0751.jpgIMG_0754.jpgIMG_0797.jpgIMG_0806.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must has forgot to post my pictures here. I still need to make a pocket for the front bumper mount...View attachment 751561View attachment 751562used parts of an old engine hoist with a bad cylinder that was given to me. Bought a new air powered cylinder from Harbor Freight.View attachment 751563View attachment 751564Also added a small winch.View attachment 751565Load tested to 1000lb.View attachment 751566View attachment 751567Can almost use it to pull the head.
I finally made a fixture for mounting the crane to the front of the truck. IMG_6734.jpgIMG_6735.jpg
Works good.IMG_6731.jpgIMG_6713.jpgIMG_6712.jpgIMG_6709.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice! I may have to steal that one for the deuce.
Are deuce shackle pins 1”?

If so, I’ll see if I have a couple more of these brackets, and get them to you at Findlay, or Haspin. I might have some other useful junk as well. I think you started with a 5 ton jib also? I cant remember, if you lift your crane off is it male or female on the bottom? My crane is male, and all my truck mount points are 2-1/2”female

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes the deuce uses 1" pins, yes mine is a 5ton gib. I'm not sure what size round steel I jammed in the tube, but yes its male.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks