• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 winch install (Pics & Video)

HASSON1911

I recently picked up a complete winch with hydraulics and PTO from Castle Bravo. Huge shout out to him he packaged it like it was gonna go across Andes on the back a nomads goat.

I recently have been reading threads with a lot of questions and not a lot of answers when it comes to installing one part or another of the winch on their M939A(0,1,2). For the record, they are all the same tranny and mounting set up so this thread should help anyone trying to conquering the woes of this installation. Its also why I wanted to start this thread, I will come across all the problems others have and post pics and advice of how to over come them. Also with any luck they should be able to find this thread and stop any future threads of questions of this naturerofl

So I will include pictures and hopefully even some video of installation of some parts(PTO). I will be referencing the TM9-2320-272-24P-2

Today I got the truck in the shop and unpack-ages and laid out the parts, also took of the bumper(not hard only six bolts).

TacticalDoc

tag...I plan on putting my winch on soon. My marine truck has everything hooked up but the winch which didn't come with it. I have a 925 parts truck that I'm taking the winch off for my marine truck. I look forward to you post...thanks

I did this install to my truck except I had all the hydraulics already. Be careful when you undo the hood spring in order to get the frame extension pieces on. The spring will be a pain to get bolted back in place. That was the only hard part of the install, just be careful when undoing it.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hood attachment is easily done with some way to lift the hood from above, like a forklift or overhead crane. Even a rope and tree limb would work. The stress on the spring in the hood mount is alleviated when the hood is at 45 degrees. I think it would be dangerous to do it any other way. There is enough slack in the wiring harness, ground straps, and hood over extension straps to not have to remove any of those.

Gunzy

I'll be watching as I am putting a winch on my M923. I already have the winch mounted on the front and now need to get all the hydraulics and pto transferred from the donor truck. I will have to modify the control box as the complete winch system is coming off a M932A2. I will also have to modify the tank mounting. I don't see where either is going to be too big of a problem.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not posted here before so here goes
I removed a winch kit from a M925 to install behind the cab on my M931 I hope soon but doing other mods right now.
On the hood mounts I just did 1 side at a time with a jack stand under hood mount and used a line up bar to reline up the bolt holes. The biggest trouble I had was removing the PTO; it is close to the frame; I took the PTO stud close to the rear of trans out with PTO there but loose and was able to work PTO out but I have not started the install yet so I will see how that goes. I hope this helps.

Rkrug

Here are some pics of when I put mine on last year, the only real hard part is installing the PTO, it takes a while but you can get it on there.
IMG_0962.jpgIMG_0957.jpgIMG_0956.jpgIMG_0958.jpgIMG_0963.jpgIMG_0960.jpgIMG_0959.jpgIMG_0978.jpg

Gunzy

There are 4 holes that need to be drilled on non-winch truck frames. The frame extensions have 2 holes on each side at the rear that will need to be located and drilled for installation of the winch frame extensions.

JxxxOxxxE

I really want to add a winch to my 929a2...

ill be watching this thread, as I haves winch on my m817 that I want to swap over...I guess I need to be on the lookout for a winch kit, but I won't need the pto or the winch, just all the lines and cables...

HASSON1911

Well guys busy week at the EMS garage with deer opener and the first snow/ice storm of the year falling on the same night, but I got up and got to her today! You can see that there is 2 brackets on the hood that are bolted the under frame of the hood we used those for lift points and it held the hood straight on the brackets and didnt bend at all. When putting the winch on be very care full, there is enough play to cant the winch and bend or break the pump against the shield next to it. We almost did this but caught it in time, regardless the winch does sit rather uncomfortably close it anyways for me, but it would take a great deal to bend these mounts!

I dont work next weekend and will hopefully get all the hydraulics at least in place, if not operation. I still have to thread the cable through the tensioner too

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seano11...check for room first. I remember reading someplace that an air PTO actuator would interfere with the frame. You could put an air cylinder to a mechanical linkage however, if the factory one hits. Or perhaps a cable maker has a small air cylinder actuator.

Thanks for all the pictures Nasson. Do you know for a fact that ALL military trucks with Alison have the PTO gear?

HASSON1911

Last edited:

Gunzy

Do you have pictures of these holes before and after?
Sorry, I didn't take pics. They are the 2 rear most bolts on both frame extensions. I just made a simple template off of the extensions referenced from the two bolts that hold the cross member for the hood. I drilled the holes(1/2 inch) and when the extensions were in I just ran the drill in them again to finalize the lining up of the holes. I also mounted the entire assy as one piece. The winch, frame extensions, and bumper was all assembled as one. I also used a tow truck boom to single point lift the assy and that allowed us to manhandle/maneuver the assy into the frame. I think that worked a little easier than a forklift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks