• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M47 Dump Project Is Home

OD_Coyote

When I sold my 86 M35A2C three weeks ago I had no idea I would be replacing it so soon.
Anyway, I have always wanted a 2.5 ton dump and when this beauty showed up on craigslist I just had to buy it.
It is a 1951 REO M47 that runs, but need a complete restoration. I figure it will be a 5 year project.
My thanks to the previous owner(Josh) for not selling her to the perspective buyers that wanted to part her out.
WP_000625.jpgWP_000623.jpgWP_000624.jpgWP_000628.jpgWP_000619.jpg

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECO in Augusta has a spare tire rack. We need more pics! How about one with the data plate?

OD_Coyote

hndrsonj - Thanks for the info on the spare tire rack. Weather permitting, I will post more pics tomorrow and I will definitely include one of the data plate.

Dipstick

****! I'm jealous! What a cool looking truck! I guess it's a gasser? I would love to see some pics of the engine and the interior. Good luck with it. It rocks!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice find. I also have a 2 1/2 ton dumper on my wish list...one of these days.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those M47s are a rare bird these days, only a few still exist. Plan to restore back to completely original? That would mean dual NDTs in the rear, you need the side boards in the dump bed, too. Also, did the dumps come with a hard top standard? Or was it soft top only back in the 1950s?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those M47s are a rare bird these days, only a few still exist. Plan to restore back to completely original? That would mean dual NDTs in the rear, you need the side boards in the dump bed, too. Also, did the dumps come with a hard top standard? Or was it soft top only back in the 1950s?
Mike, you're slipping brother. The M59 had duals and the M47 had singles. Both featured a 2 1/2 yard bed (IIRC) but the M47 bed was skinnier with taller sides.
I had a couple of M59s. One sacrificed it's life for the other one which hndrsonj is currently restoring.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, you're slipping brother. The M59 had duals and the M47 had singles. Both featured a 2 1/2 yard bed (IIRC) but the M47 bed was skinnier with taller sides.
I had a couple of M59s. One sacrificed it's life for the other one which hndrsonj is currently restoring.
That's what I get for losing my copy of David Doyle's Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles. I knew one of them had singles and one had duals, I guess I got them switched. Were the singles 11.00x20s? Or just standard 9.00x20s?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score for sure! Keep us posted on your progress.

Is that hard top custom, or what? It looks so strange to me...not sure why.
The top looks home made. Mine had a soft top frame with sheetmetal formed over it.

Also, I have seen quite a few M59's but never a M47 before.

OD_Coyote

Yes, I plan to restore it to its original configuration.

ReoRider

Wonderful sized "pocket" dump truck. Had one years ago and was great for getting into tighter spots. Best feature is naturally the Reo Gold Comet engine - high speed, wet sleeves, 7 mains- a real truck engine that turned the industry on its ears when it first came out in civilian use (49-50?). Its overhead valve design was quite advanced in a world of slow turning, big displacement, flat head designs from White, Hercules and others. Would recommend keeping the Reo if it's still in there- parts are available and its very QUIET.

OD_Coyote

Here are some more pictures of the M47....It also has a dual output PTO and the control valve for fording kit on the air cleaner canister
About the only things I may change from original are to install an air shift transfer case and put a winch on the front end.
DSCN1079.jpgDSCN1085.jpgDSCN1103.jpgDSCN1100.jpgDSCN1100.jpgDSCN1088.jpgDSCN1087.jpgDSCN1102.jpgDSCN1078.jpgDSCN1084.jpg

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing you'll notice is that most gassers had that part of the fording kit installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks