• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M47 Dump Project Is Home

OD_Coyote

They are very quiet, the quietest of all the deuces. How does your intake manifold look? On my M34 it was cracked at the heat box for the winter/summer damper, it was a common problem. Was a big chore to find a replacement.
It does not appear to be cracked right now. Where did you end up finding your replacement?

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Found one in a local junk yard. They had a couple of gasser G742s there. All are now gone from around here as a few years ago a portable crusher came through here and took everything. I mean everything.

OD_Coyote

After I get the old girl stripped down to the frame my first project will be to remove the seriously tweaked rear cross member.
It looks like someone connected a hook to the lower right rear part of the cross member and let her rip.
Its a shame they did not put a little more thought into where they attached the hook.

Attachments

OD_Coyote

The steel of that frame looks to be in pretty good shape; the rust doesn't look anywhere too heavy. How do you feel about it?
I would agree with your assessment sir, especially considering the age of truck. She ought to look pretty good after I sandblast, prime and put a couple coats of 24087 on her.

OD_Coyote

More progress...U-bolts holding rear leaf springs have 64 years of rust accumulation, which made them the most difficult fasteners to remove so far.
Also got a quote of $900 to sandblast the bare frame, so I may end up using a wire brushes and a needle gun to clean up the frame prior to priming it.

Attachments

rustystud

More progress...U-bolts holding rear leaf springs have 64 years of rust accumulation, which made them the most difficult fasteners to remove so far.
Also got a quote of $900 to sandblast the bare frame, so I may end up using a wire brushes and a needle gun to clean up the frame prior to priming it.
Go to "Harbor Freight" and buy their sandblaster. I have one. It's not the greatest, but it will do the job. All you need to buy then is sand blast medium. Make sure you do it in an area that you don't mind having sand everywhere !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks