• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T815 TP24 6x6 Adventure / TrialTruck Build Project

T815-8x8

Started this odyssey around 2+ years ago, went to Czech Republic Aug 2011 initially so see a 8x8 cab chassis T815 former cement truck, but there too many warning signs, missing servo on the Tcase for hi / lo, no speedo cable etc, but as it happened over in the corner was a TP24 6x6 these are heavily used in TruckTrials, originally designed as Tatra's ultimate heavy haul "Prime Mover" ballasted with concrete blocks to curb weight of 48k lbs equipped with AWD planetary hubs, CTI ready, full lockers, 4 dr cab rear set-back engine with unusual twin steer - single rear axle combination, 45k lbs winch, 3.50" 5th wheel in platform bed, 120 Ton drawbar pintle tow hook. This was a 1 owner truck with approx (125,000 kms ) 77,500 miles, so I decided to switch my deposit over to this truck. After much deliberation import rules EPA etc I ended up having the original twin turbo 19 liter V12 removed & traded its value for transportation to Port Bremerhaven Germany for RORO to Baltimore MD. This where some severe financial pain was inflicted upon me because the port would only handle a non runner if its loaded onto a Mafi Trailer, these are heavy equipment trailers used for towing on-off RORO ships, with crane work shipping import duties unloading storage etc my total ocean transport Germany to USA has totaled $14,205.
Except for a couple of civilian 8x8's (no planetary axles) slipping through the import rules before 9/11 TSA Customs & EPA rules were being followed, 1 or possibly 2 VT 8x8's that the US military sold off from Desert Storm this is probably the only T815 TP24 in the USA
I now await transport from MD - MT where this build project will start

drician

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that is an interesting vehicle. I look forward to seeing how your build progresses. What type of motor are you going to install in this beast?

T815-8x8

image.jpg
I originally wanted an 8x8 but the 1 I had a deposit on didn't live up to its photos or description, the others I found were out of my then current price range so switched my deposit to the TP24.
The TP6 (T813) & TP24 T815 have always been competitive in offroad trials & rallies the compromise is maneuverability of the 6x6 V trenching & hill climb 8x8, in all the endless videos and YouTube the TP's probably gain more than what they give to the 8x8's in most offroad situations not even mentioning less moving parts, weight etc
Above a very well prepared TP24 cw 15-21" tires as per military these are 49" OD same as 14.00 XZL in size and obsolete.
I don't really what or need the 4dr cab that these come with, I plan on building a hybrid with the AM / RM Armored cab that was used on mainly T813's but also T815's usually rocket launcher or command vehicles.
Below is my fav' CZ TrialTruck this belongs to Danial Hanzik of Prague, so what I plan is this cab on the TP24 chassis, because of the armor these model Tatra's are not required to have external roll cage, this 1 rolled 3 times down an embankment, only the mirrors horn & exhaust were damaged, truck is using tires from the Russian BAZ / ZIL 135 8x8 these are 53" OD 16-20" bias ply tires

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think its a pretty darn good lookin truck as is. If you want to change it, go for it, but I think it would be a shame. If I only had the money for something like this!

Triple C

I think its a pretty darn good lookin truck as is. If you want to change it, go for it, but I think it would be a shame. If I only had the money for something like this!
I am with you, the only thing I would do is put the power in it. If the paint was good I would leave that! That is one awesome truck.

T815-8x8

Issue 1: Going serious Offroad, at some point the truck will end up on its side !! in Trucktrials it happens often, even with the best cage you can not prevent the sides & doors from damage, particularly 4 door with its greater distance

2: I'm Re-powering with either DD 8V92ta or 12V71N backed with Allison HT740D or maybe HT754CRD then drive the Tatra T/C, on the 4dr 815's TP24 & VT 8x8 the OE Tatra V12 front is behind the drivers seat over the 2nd steer axle, either Detroit is slightly taller than the OE V12, I need space for radiator maybe intercooler (V8) space, noise & cooling 2 door will help package everything

Thx for your interest

T815-8x8

I finally completed the 4000 mile round trip and hauled the Tatra to where I work in ND for few months before it makes it way home to western MT
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415586279.732873.jpg

T815-8x8

The Tatra landed & cleared customs Nov' last year, until last week it remain in storage just south of Baltimore. Had to buy a tow vehicle GMC dually & borrowed my bosses 25K GN BigTex, got side tracked with Ducati Superbike this summer so partly my fault on delay. I purchased NOS Hutchinson forged alloy 20x10 2-piece wheels + beadlock inserts. So as I got back with my long awaited (10 years ) Tatra I had to go to work, so it still sits on the that trailer.
hopefully next week I'll have enough time to get started on it, basically here are the next few planned steps

remove platform body, 5th wheel cw mounting frame, cut off & junk all the wheel fenders, ft-rr tow hooks
label & remove airline system & chassis wiring harness, steam clean whole chassis / driveline
remove cab, which will be cut & rewelded to an extended cab, cut & re-drill front chassis to Terrn0 spec's, this shortens front overhang to improve approach angle, the cab mounts will be raised for clearance on 54" o/d 16.00r20 tires

Attachments

T815-8x8

Weather ranged from 10F to -15F today, working outside has been a challenge but managed to remove many items in it's conversion.
rear platform bed, the 5th wheel will be re-installed later, all fenders, cab side fenders, battery box, I feel pretty pleased so far with the limited time & weather conditions.
won bid on govliquidation for 8V92 Detroit, now trying to arrange collect from Warner Robbins GA, this will be matched to a Allison HT740D that I already have. I picked up forged ally Hutchinson 10x20 2-piece wheels + bead locks, probably going to polish the outside face on these. 16.00R20 will be going these in next few weeks.

Attachments

T815-8x8

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416878889.796565.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416878903.730361.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416878934.348837.jpg

Removed steel fenders, cab side skirting last week, next power up elec' system + air, check all circuits, servos, solenoids. Then I can remove wiring
Harness & airline / system + cab so I can box frame rails, restore, paint driveline & frame

T815-8x8

I had 4 straight days off work (good for time, bad on the budget side)
removed 120T towing hook, diesel tanks, brackets, cut off nearly all the unwanted frame brackets. Remove 1 wheel to see how the Hutchinson wheel fits, need to replace all 60 wheel studs as they are not long enough for the alloy wheel, luckily Tatra makes a longer stud which is used on rear axle for dual wheels, this has been added to my long list of parts to order from the CZ.
other wheel issue is that early Tatra use "Stud Mount" V Hutchinson "Pilot mount", so I have to machine the wheels for the locating shim.
Nearly finished cutting off all the unwanted brackets from what
was the platform, when completed all that will remain is the channel rails
and 5th wheel, this will then be used for the "New" to be fabricated flat platform
Bed & ROPS.
I will be picking up 2 Tatra Terrn0 NOS standard short cab's from the now defunct ATC (Tatra USA) these are total complete, 1 of these will replace the
TP24 4 dr cab.
Newly acquired Detroit Diesel 8v92ta from an Oshkosh HMETT expected to arrive Dec 9th.
this will match the Allison HT740D also from a HMETT, laying out the dims
for the eng/tran combo with the shortest drive shaft I can get away with
will put the front pulley in about the same place as the VVN series Tatra
i.e 300mm further forward than the TP / VT series
To improve approach & departure clearance, I will be shortening rear overhang
by 250mm & front to Terrn0 specs 165mm.
Before Xmas I hope to have all the wiring, air system & winch removed so I can
really successfully access, renovate & paint the driveline & frame

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks