• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mog was sitting for 6 years. Condition of fuel was terrible...green algae. Rust and heavy sediment in tank. Micro screen kept getting clogged.

Remedy...

Replaced...all metric lines. New fuel filter assembly. We fuel pump. R&R tank. Filter kit.

Note...if you play with the fittings and lines..they are old and brittle. They don't re-seal easily. Use...a cup of hot water for 10 sec...max...use tool to guide the hose and fittings together.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mog was sitting for 6 years. Condition of fuel was terrible...green algae. Rust and heavy sediment in tank. Micro screen kept getting clogged.

Remedy...

Replaced...all metric lines. New fuel filter assembly. We fuel pump. R&R tank. Filter kit.

Note...if you play with the fittings and lines..they are old and brittle. They don't re-seal easily. Use...a cup of hot water for 10 sec...max...use tool to guide the hose and fittings together.
I had bad algae (and who knows what) in a tank. Couldn't remove that one easily, but kept flushing it out. Also blew the "filter" at the pickup out numerous times with compressed air and cleaned the strainer LOTS of times. Eventually, and after using Bio Bor, it worked out fine.

Each case is different, but as far as the actual fuel lines go, I had better luck with replacing the washers at the fittings than the fuel lines themselves.

alpine44

Just found out that my vent on top of the fuel tank had a valve in it that would only let air OUT of the tank. While that would make sense for deep fording, it did not allow enough air into the tank to replace the burned fuel volume and at some point the engine would starve of fuel. When I tried to fix the fuel starvation by cleaning the strainer, I heard a gurgle in the tank and suspected the vent to be clogged. Once I realized that the vent was clogged by design, I removed the spring and rubber disk in the vent to allow air to get into the tank. At some point I may run a vent line to the top of the ROPS bar, in case I take the FLU419 for a swim.

Last edited:

alpine44

My tank has a removable, round lid with suction tube, return, and level sender attached to it. There is an additional pipe bung welded in on top of the tank where the vent fitting is screwed in. I was referring to the latter.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that's what I figured is what we all have. During my search for leaks I pressurized the tank through that vent fitting several times. To the point that I may have gained a bit in tank capacity in the process.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever removed a vent so I took for granted that it's just an open fitting...that I've successfully pushed air in through. Maybe they're like some axle vents, allowing air through when a high enough pressure is applied?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just found out that my vent on top of the fuel tank had a valve in it that would only let air OUT of the tank. While that would make sense for deep fording, it did not allow enough air into the tank to replace the burned fuel volume and at some point the engine would starve of fuel. When I tried to fix the fuel starvation by cleaning the strainer, I heard a gurgle in the tank and suspected the vent to be clogged. Once I realized that the vent was clogged by design, I removed the spring and rubber disk in the vent to allow air to get into the tank. At some point I may run a vent line to the top of the ROPS bar, in case I take the FLU419 for a swim.
I say drop the loader and backhoe off at home and head for georgia in about a month sir! We will find somewhere for it to swim.

peakbagger

Sorry I missed this round of the tank vent discussion. When I was chasing my tank vent issues two years ago I discovered the tank vent on top of my tank was painted over when the SEE was originally painted. I did some research and the tank vent is also an anti roll over valve. If the tank is full and the SEE is leaned over, the ball in the vent closes the vent to keep fuel from draining out the tank through the vent. Once the SEE is upright the ball drops and opens the vent. There is a hose connection on the vent but I did not see a hose connected to mine or a spare one in the area. Therefore if I did deep fording, I could get water into my tank unless I rig up a vent hose.

I tried various solvents on my vent and couldn't get the paint out of it but was able to trace the manufacturer by the name cast in the vent. I think I bought a new one from a race car supplier as they are used on custom fuel tanks. I think I paid around $50. I got the new one and it was identical except for the color (its looks like its galvanized).

If you have one with the vent outlet painted it is a definite potential issue but it wasn't the root cause with mine for fuel starvation, as I have discussed previously in the thread I think its the plastic fuel lines loosening up at the hose barbs on the vacuum side of the fuel system (but don't skip the obvious and make sure your fuel strainer gasket is installed and in good condition!)

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have one with the vent outlet painted it is a definite potential issue but it wasn't the root cause with mine for fuel starvation...
Leaving the fuel cap a bit loose would be the easy way to check for fuel starvation due to a plugged vent. Of course, the SEE would have to be driven/worked a bit for any results to show, but isn't that what we have them for in the first place?

peakbagger

I did the "leaving the cap off" routine early on in my grasping at straws phase. I think it would take a long time for it to appear but worth checking. I expect that the pump would pull air and loose prime long before the tank got sucked in. If I remember correctly, some folks cant get at the top of their tank to see if the vent is painted. I think its the original paint on my tank and there was no sign of vent line hooked to the vent so maybe when they were upfitting the SEEs at the factory that someone was catching some ZZZs. It would be interesting if we polled the SEE owners in the group if they have a hose hooked to the vent on the tank.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one that came with a short hose attached, the rest have just the fitting. That hose goes down, so it serves to keep water out when it rains, and I've been meaning to add short hoses to the others for that reason.

Speedwoble

I'm adding 3pt seat belts to my FLU for safety and to my surprise, the existing threaded fitting at the top of the B? pillar for the 3pt seat belt is 7/16-20. M10 is too small, M12 too big. 7/16-20 shaves the paint out without any metal shavings. Unbolted the seatbelt at the bottom, and it is held in by 7/16-20 bolts as well. It is pretty obvious this is a mish mash of inch parts on the bed and metric bolts on any thing Mercedes, but this is my first realization of an inch bolt in the Mercedes made area.

Road Rage

Does anyone know what the air pressure should be on the 4x4 actuator ( also does the lockers, splitter and throttle control for the tools.) There is a separate regulator for this circuit.

Thanks,.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of air systems, today I attempted to do something I've been wanting to try for years; tow an air brake equipped trailer with a SEE.

Problem number one, the pintle is too large to fit a regular commercial tow ring. Fixed that with a grinder. But maybe the pintle is only good for 50,000 lbs. now.

Problem number two; with the pintle being on the backhoe, some two feet farther back than the original position, the air hoses on my con gear were about two feet too short.

Oh well, tomorrow I'll either make a longer hose for the red side, or use my portable air tank setup I made to keep the brakes released when moving this trailer with an M1009.DSCN2248[1].jpgDSCN2247[1].jpg

mberetta

My flu419 is about 150 miles away. I'm on my way there to change a tire. I've been searching for the answer on my phone but I can't seem to find it. Can anybody tell me what size the lugs are? I need to stop and buy the right socket. Thanks in advance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks