• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

bchauvette

After this years rally been fighting ultra slow tire leaks ever since. Got bits of wood stuck between the bead and rim. May have to completely separate the tire bead and do a thorough cleaning on the two front tires.

Got something radical planned for the next rally stay tuned :)

peakbagger

Looking for Flu419 schematics. Have several electrical items not working. Thumbed thru the Tm.

I learned on another forum that the military did issue a poster style wiring schematic with an NSN. Apparently there have even been a few up for government surplus auction but to date I haven't found anyone who will admit to having one.

The electrical troubleshooting section of the technical manuals have partial schematics for each system. I got real familiar with them this summer chasing my electrical gremlins. I never did find a good schematic of the main fuse panel. I started sketching out the pin outs of all the connectors, but given that the numbers occasionally disappear when the grease is wiped off it would require a lot more time to complete them.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, this might be a long shot, but does anyone here happen to know what kind of fluid goes in the front suspension lockout on an HMMH?
This is by no means an urgent request. First I need to repair the cracked plastic reservoir, and also figure out where the heck one is supposed to fill it.

On a positive note, got the door glass installed today. That one required some creative use of a Hi-Lift, bottle jack, pintle hook receiver mount, 2x4s, and a wedge shaped piece of 1" steel, to get the door somewhat back to original shape. Well, I didn't worry about its shape as much as getting it to latch again, and to facilitate a window which could be rolled up and down.
As they've said about my Jeep; It ain't pretty but it works. It has even been called "Winning ugly", but the HMMH is nowhere near ugly enough yet. Give me some time. The mishaps...er, battle scars, from use will come naturally.
This door was hit hard enough that the front window channel was bent in about 3/4 inch, and even the inner panel was bowed by about the same amount at the top.
Hey, the heater works, so now I can finally start driving this thing.
Happy New Year!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lucked out and got all three, and then some, with the SEE, but haven't considered selling them.
Unless, of course, I can trade the chainsaw for an impact wrench - the HMMH was completely empty.

Today's lack-of-progress report: Two of the cylinders on the crane leaked. Took them to a shop to get resealed, but we couldn't get the pistons off. Aargh.
And here I thought that reinstalling the bigger one was going to be THE hurdle. It wasn't pretty getting it off by myself.

peakbagger

There was either a rock drill or the jack hammer for sale on ebay recently. I think the asking price was $1,000 but didn't look to see if it sold. I have not seen any go for less than $1,000.

FYI the chainsaw is quite a dangerous device compared to a normal chainsaw. If doesn't have a chainbrake and Kevlar chaps wont necessarily stop the blade. I see the same model for sale on Ebay on occasion but expect the hydraulic connectors may be different.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just knew there was a reason I didn't care for the chainsaw. Well, I don't like regular ones, either.
If a tree must come down, it's more fun to winch it down with the Jeep.

peakbagger

Someone in Ohio is listing a chainsaw and a rock drill on Ebay for a buy it now price of $650 each. I guess that will establish a value. Since FoxyJosh is also in Ohio he can save on shipping.

My SEE was bought as a tool, I don't have interest in restoring it but I expect some folks just "need" the tools to complete the package.

I run a Husqvarna XP357 to cut up my firewood, even if I am careful I catch a tip and the chain brake engages occasionally. I haven't tagged my Kevlar chaps but I know plenty of folks who have. Doesn't make a lot of sense to run a the SEE and drag the hoses around to run the saw. I expect its lot quieter which probably was of value to the military but I wear a chainsaw helmet with ear muffs so it doesn't bother me

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, too, bought the SEE as a tool - That the actual tools and various bits and pieces were still in the tool box was a welcome bonus.
Would've never went out and bought any of them, but since I have them I'll likely keep them. Who knows when the need to break up some concrete arrives.
Might just use the hammer drill to install those last anchors for the 4-post lift this spring.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this isn't SEE and HMMH specific, but might be helpful nonetheless;
Didn't get a battery "key" with the SEE so I used a red one off a regular, cheap battery disconnect switch. It worked fine...for a while.

Once it got colder (or maybe that didn't have much to with it) the SEE wouldn't start. It acted as if the batteries were low, although the voltage readings were good. A jump start would make it sound and start as usual.

Charged the batteries, but it still needed a jump to fire up. Then I tried using a real battery key...and it starts just fine.

Not that it makes any sense to me, other than that the real key must make a better contact in the switch, but that doesn't quite explain why using jumper cables did the trick, every time.

Anyway, if you're using twigs (as I did initially), or a cheap red key, and have starting issues, buy the real thing. Scott has them.

Hummerdave

Hi. EI has the knorr injector rebuild kit now.. I just got one..part number is: 001 430 37 60 no longer available from MB.. had to go to the mfr to get them..
Dave

Hummerdave

Yep, he tells me that he just got an order for hundreds of ign keys and batt keys from one of the auction sites.. I guess there's going to be a whole lot more see's coming up for auction pretty soon.. :)
Dave

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang. I need to win the lottery so that I can buy a spare SEE.
Didn't roll it while cleaning out the irrigation ditches last year (came very close, though), but now that I think I know how to run this machine...

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, the fictional one is way east of the middle of the USA.
If you divide the country in half, then split the western half in two, you get the center of the actual midwest.

Another Ahab

Oh, the fictional one is way east of the middle of the USA.
If you divide the country in half, then split the western half in two, you get the center of the actual midwest.[/QUOTE]

I got you, now. 10-4.

The term "midwest" probably dates back to when the frontier was the Mississippi River.

And now well, who knows where it is?

https://youtu.be/S6R3MiAv9ac

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Yeah, but one would think that once they got farther west, and realized that the land went on for a ways, they'd change the name accordingly.
After all, we're not in India, even though Columbus thought he was.
Yeah, but go figure, some people still refer to the First Nation peoples as "Indians".

Old habits die hard.

No where did that thread go? Did you see it!? It was just here a second ago...

Trail.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks