• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

CA18_Sean

Picking up an FLU419 tomorrow. Checked it out today. It was this one from GovPlanet, local guy is reselling it.

http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/E...=FLU419,pstart=60,sm=1,sort=ad+asc&pnLink=yes

He hasn't done much other than clean it up some, but I felt more comfortable buying one I could test drive ahead of time. Plus I don't have to pay shipping on it. Comes with all sorts of neat hydraulic tools (chainsaw, breakers, drill bits, etc.) that unfortunately I won't be using or need.

I'm going to be stripping it down to basically just the tractor itself and mounting a Diedrich D-25 drill rig to the back, using the PTO that ran the backhoe to power my drill rig hydraulics. I'll start a build thread once I start tearing into the truck :) Lots of great info on this site so far! About the only things that aren't working correctly on the truck are the tach is inoperable, the parking brake is seized, and some of the air lines are split, I could hear them hissing. Hopefully it will all be fairly simple, it looked like an easy to work on truck when I was climbing around underneath it today.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I never drove a Deuce, but I doubt you'd have problems fitting in or seeing out of a SEE.
The driver's side seat cushion is adjustable for height in the back, but mine are at the lowest setting - which maybe I should try changing to improve the visibility of what's down by the bucket. Then, I'm only 5'9".
Passenger side leg room is kinda cramped for width.
If it'd help, tomorrow I can measure between seat back and steering wheel, and pedals and steering wheel.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I never drove a Deuce, but I doubt you'd have problems fitting in or seeing out of a SEE.
The driver's side seat cushion is adjustable for height in the back, but mine are at the lowest setting - which maybe I should try changing to improve the visibility of what's down by the bucket. Then, I'm only 5'9".
Passenger side leg room is kinda cramped for width.
If it'd help, tomorrow I can measure between seat back and steering wheel, and pedals and steering wheel.
I'm 6'3", so the deuce was fairly tight for me. Mainly the length between the top of the clutch petal and the bottom of the steering wheel was less then my leg (thus I had to lift my knee to the side of the rather large steering wheel to get my foot on the pedal).

If no one chimes in, I might take you up on the measurements, but if no one is have an issue with fitting in the cab, it probably isn't a problem.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cause for celebration! Finally got the HMMH all checked out (fluids and such) and even got the side-to-side cylinder on the forklift working.
It's such an uplifting feeling - in both ends. Of the HMMH, that is.DSCN0881[1].jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It indeed is. And it feels like a new vehicle compared to the SEE.
Of course, it has far fewer miles on it (or a much more recent refurb).
Alright, now I can delete the pic...put it in just for you.

flu419

Very nice looking machine.
Never seen one of these IRL. Do you have any pictures of the rear of the truck - maybe crane folded and unfolded? Please.Mine has developed a fuel leak after crashing through the woods at the adapter block to the Bosch unit. I'll have to trawl through the site here to find an engine guru.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never seen one of these IRL. Do you have any pictures of the rear of the truck - maybe crane folded and unfolded? Please.Mine has developed a fuel leak after crashing through the woods at the adapter block to the Bosch unit. I'll have to trawl through the site here to find an engine guru.
I'm guessing you were referring to the HMMH, if so, here are a few pics.DSCN0874[1].jpgDSCN0702[1].jpgDSCN0753[1].jpg
And don't worry too much about the fuel leak - not now when fuel is somewhat affordable again.

peakbagger

I am no expert but did go through a lot of my fuel system last summer trying to figure out why I would loose prime. One thing I learned is that Mercedes "better idea" of using plastic fuel lines wasn't so great and the standard suggestion is if in doubt replace the plastic fuel lines with fuel hose rated for fuel line use. One another other site I found a suggestion that the plastic hose loosened up on the barbed connections so the alternative to replacing was find fuel line hose that would fit over the plastic hose, cut a short length off and split it then slip if over the plastic and then put a hose clamp over it and tighten it. Another general comment is getting the right tubing fitting with the right thread is challenge.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that was a bummer. Today my parts-SEE arrived. No tools in it, but the low range works fine (it wasn't supposed to) and the non-operational 4WD seems to be a stuck switch.
Except for some electrical stuff and the e-brake, everything seems to work. The engine purrs, and it runs and operates great. Okay, it has to be jump started to start purring.
How am I supposed to justify taking parts off of it?!? Getting a good one for cheap was not the plan.DSCN0902[1].jpg

Another Ahab

Well, that was a bummer. Except for some electrical stuff and the e-brake, everything seems to work.
How am I supposed to justify taking parts off of it?!? Getting a good one for cheap was not the plan.
I hear you about the unexpected there.

You almost feel now like you're obligated to keep it on life support; which you never intended; that's complicated.

endoflife.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks