• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does help (a little bit) that I remembered that I do have some green. An M116A2 (I think) trailer, and a larger one which I can't recall the designation of, and my trusty M1008.

But, yeah, I really don't know what the heck to do with that SEE now.
Should take the alcohol reservoir off and put it on the HMMH. And also the left door, which was quite dented on the HMMH. And put the pristine tubing and hoses on the backhoe I use.
In real life it's more likely that I end up making everything work on it, just because, and then...I dunno.
Dang it, I need to win the lottery and buy a parts-SEE.

ToyMogger

The SEE is moving. We had it running and shifting now for a little while.
20160222_144525.jpg
Already got to plow out the neighborhood with it once. My eight year old is absolutely in love with it. Turns out, after patching up all the wiring behind instrument cluster and cleaning up the relays, everything started working. All of a sudden, and all at once, there was all the gauges, starter button, and the air shift actually did something and finally got out of neutral. It was a wonderful moment.
The air system seems to work, although I think the ethanol injector may be stuck open, as it will quickly drain the alcohol tank and end up in the smaller of the two air tanks. I was thinking of putting a little compressor oil in through the alcohol reservoir to help lube things up and get things unstuck. Any thoughts?

Working out a few hydraulic leaks, but so far all pretty manageable. Seems like finding Schmidt seals for the front/bucket is far trickier than the Case backhoe seals.

We are also working on a tire change. The Michelins it came on are pretty severely cracking. We got a real good deal on some 11.00R20 Goodyear G177 that came on these split ring rims. They also have tubes in them, but the valvestems are the long kind that connect in the very center of the tube and then turns 90'. Kinda like these http://www.petestirestore.com/1100R20-to-1480R20-Firestone-Tire-Tube-TR444_p_6516.html I like the idea of using tubes in these for ease of inflation and also for the sort of "bead locking" effect they have.
Can I use these tubes in the Unimog rims? Can the tubes be bent? Or what kind are the ones that have one short stub valvestem sticking out where the hole in the rim is, if I need them?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I apologize if the original post from yesterday mysteriously shows up, and this becomes a duplicate.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone better at chemistry than I am (that's pretty much anybody) might know what caused the strange deposits on this fuel strainer.
Whatever was in the tank smelled like leaded gasoline that had been sitting for 10 years, but the SEE ran fine on it. It might've been JP-8, I'm told.
The inside of the cap is covered in the blue/green that also covers the upper portion of the strainer. The chains had a black, crusty covering on them.
And the part of the strainer which was below the fuel level has a black coating that is solid.
When draining the tank, there was about a shot glass' worth of coarse sand-size "stuff" in the screen of the funnel I used, but looking down into the tank it looks nice and clean. Some debris in the first, small filter, but not much.
For now the strainer is sitting in a diesel bath, which will hopefully break up the colorful coatings.
Any ideas about what happened here?DSCN0943[1].jpg

MODEL: 1987 419.101 SEE (2005 rebuild)
NAME: Brian
LOCATION: Gold Beach, Oregon (where the SEE lives year-round and I do some of the time); Chandler, AZ (where I live most of the time), USA
EMAIL/PHONE#: Just send me a PM and I'll send along email and phone number
FRAME NUMBER: (will fill in soon)

FLU419_3.jpg

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not just a cattle guard, but a HEAVY cattle guard.
I use it to create temporary "bridges" over the irrigation ditches. Can't just drive through them anymore - not since I dug them out wide and deep with the SEE.

BnaditCorps

I apologize if the original post from yesterday mysteriously shows up, and this becomes a duplicate.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone better at chemistry than I am (that's pretty much anybody) might know what caused the strange deposits on this fuel strainer.
Whatever was in the tank smelled like leaded gasoline that had been sitting for 10 years, but the SEE ran fine on it. It might've been JP-8, I'm told.
The inside of the cap is covered in the blue/green that also covers the upper portion of the strainer. The chains had a black, crusty covering on them.
And the part of the strainer which was below the fuel level has a black coating that is solid.
When draining the tank, there was about a shot glass' worth of coarse sand-size "stuff" in the screen of the funnel I used, but looking down into the tank it looks nice and clean. Some debris in the first, small filter, but not much.
For now the strainer is sitting in a diesel bath, which will hopefully break up the colorful coatings.
Any ideas about what happened here?View attachment 612911
Is that brass or copper? Because the Green looks in indicative of brass or copper rust. That is what the small particles could be, rust that has slowly eroded off the part.

Just a guess since i don't know the material.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The strainer itself looks like it's galvanized steel, the tank is aluminum (okay, I think it is), and the cap appears to be brass.
I should take a magnet to the chains, they might be stainless.
Either way, it is a bit of a concoction of materials.

After several days of soaking in diesel, there's no real difference on the strainer. I'll try carb cleaner next - not often I get to use it on a diesel engine.

88FLU419

Sounds just like mine. Really weird smell, almost like old gas. Did run, but not well, so I drained and filled with fresh fuel and additives. Strainer looks the same. Fuel will barely go through it. Is that from your parts truck or the crane truck?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's from my parts SEE, which came from Texarkana. That might be a common denominator here...a diesel shortage at that place, and maybe JP-8 was used instead?
Not sure why JP-8 would make things "grow" in the tank, though. May not even have anything to do with it. Could be old diesel, with fungus, then JP-8 added to it.
If wind and time allows, today I'll try to cleanse the tank out, mechanically and by rinsing. Then fill it with diesel, and a few additives. Since mine ran just fine, I'm not worried about what's still upstream of the primary filter.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carb cleaner didn't do squat to the coatings on the strainer. Tried gasoline, and it seems to be loosening at least some of it up.
Flushed the tank with gas, more dirt and stuff came out, including rather large pieces of silicone this time. At least it looks like remnants of orange silicone.
Put a few gallons of gas in the tank to let it work in there - the sides, below the old fuel level, looks like bedliner.
Meanwhile, the strainer is also spending the night in gas, hopefully it'll do some good or I'll break out the MEK.
What's in the drain pan came off the strainer, not from the tank. DSCN0954[1].jpgDSCN0955[1].jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0984[1].jpgToday the HMMH paid for itself.
Had to fix the "foundation" for a 1,000 gal. propane tank, as it was rotated nearly to the point of rolling, and also not even close to level.
The only thing which could've been better would've been having two cranes - that would've made it quicker and easier yet.

And, no, the tanks was far from empty.

And, yes, there was supposed to be a better pic, but after five tries I gave up, so here's a lame one.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks