• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

bchauvette

The military Tm's and the full set of civi shop manuals can be found in the TM section under miscellaneous. You will be strongly encouraged to get acquainted with the site and go through the Tm's before asking for help:). Having said that you will find that this site is much much more than just an Army truck enthusiast site. It is more like a group of BFF's. Excited to help in any way!

ACUF

Thank you,

I'm happy that everything seems to be functioning correctly. However, I'm still going through it and notice there may be an issue w my aux tool circuit. In addition to the tool switch on the side, my hi low switch at the hoe operators seat isn't working. The switch that controls the bucket is functioning correctly.

With pto engaged, when either of the other two are actuated, the engine RPMs stay the same. Any thoughts?

Also, still not seeing the link for the flu419 in the misc tms but will keep searching.

Looking forward to hearing how everyone is using their machines,

ACUF

Last edited:

ACUF

Thanks, I had seen these at first of course upon looking through the tm's. At first thought I was basically viewing the MB shop manuals in these PDF, which as I scan further, begin to see some specifics on the SEE. Was expecting something a bit more detailed.

ACUF

Hummerdave

Hi guys, looking for some help here... looking at buying one of these vehicles but the owner says there is an engine knock and when turning over by hand he can feel something 'hit'.. he did have it running and it did make noise but the noise went away.. am I looking at bent rod or whar? Not sure if I should buy or make an offer.. Thanks

bchauvette

The good news is the engine is Mercedes standard medium duty truck engine. The least exotic of everything on the vehicle. Been around for years. Unless proven otherwise the price should reflect engine replacement or removal repair.

Does it have the hydraulic tools? Chan saw, pavement breaker and impact wench. Keep us posted.

Hummerdave

Thanks for the reply, the more I think about it, it has to be a bent rod slowly eating the piston away.. :(
If I buy it anyway.. at the right price.. can the head and the oil pan be pulled in-place without tilting the cab or is it a bigger job..?
It only has a jackhammer attachment too... could have really used the chain saw...
Dave

The good news is the engine is Mercedes standard medium duty truck engine. The least exotic of everything on the vehicle. Been around for years. Unless proven otherwise the price should reflect engine replacement or removal repair.

Does it have the hydraulic tools? Chan saw, pavement breaker and impact wench. Keep us posted.

bchauvette

You can't pick your nose with that thing with out tilting the cab, pretty much. I don't know how much "in frame" stuff you can do not a lot I guess.

Did you get a chance to check the oil pressure when it was running?

There is a message in that the sound goes away when it warms up not sure what it is. Do know a knock can be intermittent, sometimes only shows up when letting up on the gas (fuel). It's tough not knowing exactly what the sound is without actually hearing it. Us old geezer can tell a bearing knock in an instant.

There is also a message in that you can feel interference when barring the engine. there is a full set of Tm's and civi shop manuals on the site. Doghead made me do it :)

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Hummerdave

Owner says it has good oil pressure and engine does not have a miss... I'm trying to do this from Oklahoma and the truck is in Florida... kind of a mess..
Dave

You can't pick your nose with that thing with out tilting the cab, pretty much. I don't know how much "in frame" stuff you can do not much I guess, don't think it is a sleeved engine.

Did you get a chance to check the oil pressure when it was running? There is a full set of civi shop manuals suggest bonning up. There is a message in that the sound goes away when it warms up not sure what it is. Do know a knock can be intermittent. sometimes only shows up when letting up on the gas (fuel).

Keep us posted.

ACUF

We may need to have the web nanny save this original thread from being hijacked!

But, I think the owner should send you some video or audio of the unit running, to get a clearer picture of the noises.

Good luck!

ACUF

Hummerdave

Hi guys, I'm back... the machine belongs to me now... I'm sure now that it has a broken piston. When slow turning the crank back and forth. I can hear the rod fall against the cylinder wall..:x The head and oil pan will need to come off at least.. Funny how the manuals don't say anything about how to put the truck in a 3-point stance so you could lift the back-hoe and remove the Fops and without a running engine... anyway, with the help of the SEE toolkit I have removed the front loader and I think I can pull the head and with some work I can get the oil pan off.. I'll try and post some pics when I can...
Dave

Hummerdave

And aonther thing, when ever you see any of the SEE's at auction, where the heck are all the hoods?? They must be laying in a big pile someplace.. My truck needs one, if anybody has a source..
Thanks,
Dave

Foxyjosh

And aonther thing, when ever you see any of the SEE's at auction, where the heck are all the hoods?? They must be laying in a big pile someplace.. My truck needs one, if anybody has a source..
Thanks,
Dave
If you are talking about the hood covering the engine (on the inside), mine came with two. One was on the inside and the other was set on the back. Does anyone know how much the tool kit costs? (drill, chainsaw, pavement breaker, ect)

Last edited:

Another Ahab

If you are talking about the hood covering the engine, mine came with two. One was on the inside and the other was set on the back. Does anyone know how much the tool kit costs? (drill, chainsaw, pavement breaker, ect)
Are you saying that Mercedes-Benz puts out a standard working "accessory' tool kit for the Unimog!?

Hummerdave

The see toolkit that I was referring to was the one that Scott at EI had for sale.. it has essential tools for servicing see's.. like the big jack for removing the front loader, see-specific cab tilt brackets, stuff like that..
and I always understood the Hood is on the outside and the engine cover or doghouse is on the inside...
ft.jpgrr.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks