• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

peakbagger

I wish Expedition Imports would list one of a kind items in their listings. I would have snapped up that accessory tool kit in heartbeat if I had known that it was one of kind. Thanks for posting the pictures of the jack for the load. I guess I need to build one now.

peakbagger

Thanks for the pictures!. I have a fairly major electrical gremlin to sort out on mine and once I get that sorted out I hope to be able to start rigging some tooling for the inevitable point where I need to flip the cab.

I currently can start the SEE, but none of the other electrical systems seem to work, No dash, no gauges, no lights. The military manuals seem very extensive but the lack of a complete wiring diagram and spotty info on the ignition switch internals makes trying to find the root cause a bit vexing.

Hummerdave

I guess it was just a matter of good timing... I was cruising thru the site actually looking for cab tilt tools and came across it.. took a day or so before I decided to take it.. didn't know it was the only one.. he might have saved another one for their tool rent-out program..
Dave

peakbagger

If some kind soul would just make up dimensioned drawing and post it in the manuals thread on the pivot brackets, they sure don't look like they would take a lot to fabricate, just some flat bar and some round stock.

Foxyjosh

If some kind soul would just make up dimensioned drawing and post it in the manuals thread on the pivot brackets, they sure don't look like they would take a lot to fabricate, just some flat bar and some round stock.
As a machinist it pains me to pay so much for something that looks so simple. If I knew where these things mounted I could attempt to reverse engineer them.

bchauvette

location.jpgtiltbrackets.jpground thingy.jpg

Here is where the braket attaches in our application. Position 1 is where the bracket mounts to the truck. Notice the holes are threaded. Position 2 is where the round rod goes thru on the cab. The Idea is to raise the cab a couple of inches so it pivots around the bucket mount round thingies. The brackets don't need to hold the cab completely above the thingies as you tilt the cab will arc around. . The second pic is of some tilt brackets but the rod needs to be 90 deg to the holes for us. Be carful if you order brackets that they are the right ones.

I can't emphasize enough. If you take the Back-hoe off you must chain the out rigger legs together. If the unit collapses in storage you will have a big mess. Experience from a previous life.

Attachments

peakbagger

That has been incredibly helpful for a newby. I had studied the military manual and its didn't make a lot of sense, theses photos make a lot more sense.
I have noticed a couple of bracket variations for various mog models while searching for a pair. Everthing else needed to lift the cab seem to be able to be rigged up but the brackets look mandatory.

Last edited:

Foxyjosh

Okay, I see where the brackets go but, the pins are 90 degrees away from the holes that they are supposed to go into. Is there some sort of mounting hardware that would allow the cab to pivot that connects the two points or am I still missing something?

Edit: oops, I just re read your post. I think I can come up with something now.

Last edited:

Hummerdave

Another few pics of getting the backhoe lifted enough to clear the fops and to tilt the cab.. rigged up an old car lift pump and adapted the hose down to a #4 male flare fitting to hook to the lift cylinder hose.. you have to run the pump and hold the lift lever down at the same time.. a 60" 4x4 board fits well..
Dave
IMG_20150518_145428.jpgIMG_20150518_145452.jpgIMG_20150518_145403.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of hopefully useful comments based on 15 years of living with a 406 Unimog with front loader and backhoe: First, make a good support for that front loader before you take it off and put it back on. A tall trailer jack makes a good starting point. Two trailer jacks, one on each side, are better. If the loader moves sideways on a prop, or breaks the 2x4, or tilts on the Highlift jack, it will take out some combination of hood, front clip, headlights or grill. No fun. Yeah, learned by doing.

For backhoe manipulation while on the ground, make up a pair of long hydraulic hoses so the mog can power the hoe before it is hooked up mechanically. You can then maneuver the hoe back into position for hook up. No matter how you support parts of the hoe, the hydraulics will let it shift shape like in a "Transformer" movie.

Bob

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Couple of hopefully useful comments based on 15 years of living with a 406 Unimog with front loader and backhoe: First, make a good support for that front loader before you take it off and put it back on.

Bob
The things that never get included in Owner's Manuals, and you just wished that they would.

You know, like "never pee after slicing hot peppers without washing your hands first".

Hummerdave

IMG_20150519_165009.jpgIMG_20150519_165021.jpgIMG_20150519_165030.jpgIMG_20150519_165056.jpg IMG_20150519_165135.jpg Here they are installed... with the blocks under the rear body mount brackets..also look at how the back window glass is resting on the backhoe lock assy.. even with the blocks installed..when the front of the body is lifted to install the tilt brackets, the back glass is pushing hard on the lock bracket..
Dave

Looks like about 120mm or 4 7/8" center to center....
Dave

Attachments

Speedwoble

I just won 1FG999996HM450268 on Gov planet. Hope to have it moved to New Holland, PA soon so I can figure out what all it will need.

To assist my load-out, would anyone know what the height is with the backhoe up as pictured? Can it be lowered back down by simply removing the holding straps?
473801_6002_162_0001.jpg

Also, what is the weight of the loader by itself? Trying to figure out if I can haul it on a separate 3000lb trailer.

bchauvette

It appears it is in an abandoned repair. The back hoe might be up to clear cab tilting. Also noticed the Fops is missing. If you had some sort of boom IE M936/ civi towtruck you could support it pull the hydraulic cylinder pin and lower it. Would be Leary transporting it like that. You will more than likely need the boom to load the detached bucket. Thinking the straps is to hold up the outriggers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks