• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

peakbagger

I was really lucky in that my FLU came with all of the hydraulic tools and the hydraulic system worked perfectly. I bought my FLU sight-unseen based on extensive photos. I was told that there were no hydraulic tools included. When I received it I found all of the tools and accessories were there. I really like the hydraulic chainsaw. It really cuts wood fast, is lightweight, and no fuel or chain oil required. The only downside is that you have to bring the FLU along. I haven't used the drill yet, but I have used the jack hammer extensively, but that thing is a beast to use! The drill was actually brand new and still painted orange.
Wow, pretty rare, although at least one guy claimed he bought a recapped one at auction and the tools and accessories were still sealed in the tool boxes. Did it come with the ultra rare long stroke hydraulic bottle jack? Those seem to disappear quickly.

Do note there are mixed opinions on how well chainsaw chaps will work to prevent injury with a hydraulic or electric saw. There are You Tube videos that show that chaps will stop a cut but unlike a standard gas chainsaw, the hydraulic units do not stall.

A FYI is that the jack hammers use some sort of inert gas as a spring and that gas may leak out eventually. They can be recharged, I see the kits on occasion to do so but never looked into the details.

I must admit, I picked up one of the hydraulic pavement saws for mine on Ebay.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, pretty rare, although at least one guy claimed he bought a recapped one at auction and the tools and accessories were still sealed in the tool boxes. Did it come with the ultra rare long stroke hydraulic bottle jack? Those seem to disappear quickly.
Lucked out with the first one I bought. It came with everything, including the jack. Maybe because it was in Washington, not Texas?

After that, the only thing one of them came with was the ripper. Bought a new 3/4-inch impact for the HMMH for about $300, then paid a bit more for a used 1-inch. No regrets.

Now, the HME being a slightly different animal and not bought through GovPlanet had the auger, semi trash pump, and (I think) some other tool. Need to look in its toolbox again and refresh my memory.

MogPoggers

My impacts were delivered today (that was fast). They're both Stanley brand and have flat face hydraulic connections, and the 1/2" appears to be the same model that normally comes with the FLU419 - but the 1" is a different model. It appears to be the one below. I was worried it would be too big, but It fits securely in the upper tray of the tool box. I checked the specs and it's flow rating is 7-12 gpm with an optimal rate of 8gm, so it should work fine with the FLU front hydraulics, and all the specs seem to be the same as the one that came standard with the Mog (500 - 2500 ft/lb). It's just a different form factor with what I think is probably a safer grip/handle setup:

I paid $1000 total for both impacts, including shipping.

Last edited:

peakbagger

My impacts were delivered today (that was fast). They're both Stanley brand and have flat face hydraulic connections, and the 1/2" appears to be the same model that normally comes with the FLU419 - but the 1" is a different model. It appears to be the one below. I was worried it would be too big, but It fits securely in the upper tray of the tool box. I checked the specs and it's flow rating is 7-12 gpm with an optimal rate of 8gm, so it should work fine with the FLU front hydraulics, and all the specs seem to be the same as the one that came standard with the Mog (500 - 2500 ft/lb). It's just a different form factor with what I think is probably a safer grip/handle setup:

I paid $1000 total for both impacts, including shipping.

My guess is the 1" one is optimized for use on railroad tracks.

The Cog railroad up Mt Washington in NH that was built in the 1860s has been upgrading their fleet and they built a special car for track maintenance, they reportedly use all Stanley hydraulic tools. Their tracks are custom with gear rack in the middle.

Electric utilities and contractors use hydraulic tools as the hoses can be supplied non conductive, so they do not become a path to ground when working up near power lines. I think they routinely sell used ones rather than rebuild. I bought a spare set of the connectors several years ago on Ebay from a specialty supply house in Florida (unfortunately I do not have their contact info. There is a listing on ebay for the short stub hoses with the correct connectors that many of the tools use. Most of the supply houses list full retail for tools and parts as the users are mostly commercial with steep discounts off list.

MogPoggers

My guess is the 1" one is optimized for use on railroad tracks.

The Cog railroad up Mt Washington in NH that was built in the 1860s has been upgrading their fleet and they built a special car for track maintenance, they reportedly use all Stanley hydraulic tools. Their tracks are custom with gear rack in the middle.

Electric utilities and contractors use hydraulic tools as the hoses can be supplied non conductive, so they do not become a path to ground when working up near power lines. I think they routinely sell used ones rather than rebuild. I bought a spare set of the connectors several years ago on Ebay from a specialty supply house in Florida (unfortunately I do not have their contact info. There is a listing on ebay for the short stub hoses with the correct connectors that many of the tools use. Most of the supply houses list full retail for tools and parts as the users are mostly commercial with steep discounts off list.

I haven't tested them yet, but I disassembled them to check the hammer mechanisms. I didn't see much sign of wear on hammers or anvils, so I'll be very surpised if they need any kind of rebuild. The flat face connectors they came with are already the correct size for the tool circuit on the FLU, and the person selling them said they work fine, for whatever that's worth.

If not, I guess I can cry and throw a tantrum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks