• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"How to get a HET in life..." - M1070 Acquisition thread

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More -

The doors do not lock. Instead, a bracket that you can put a padlock on sticks up and blocks the door.

het-28.jpg

The bumper has an access hole in it for the towing gladhands as well as a typical 7 pin 12v tractor/trailer connector. The electrical connector at the rear pintle hitch is also one of these. I'm not sure why they're this way instead of the "normal" military electrical connector. I don't know if its a plug in and go type thing, or if you have to disable the flasher first or what.

het-27.jpg

Acquisition Cost. :lol:

het-26.jpg

Main battery cutoff switch. Very handy and in a great spot, just below the driver's side winch. I have noticed that this cutoff switch seems to be peculiar to the Oshkosh rebuilds. It opens and closes with a satisfying clunk.

het-25.jpg

View of the wheel/hub with the CTIS protective cover removed. 1-1/2" lug nuts and regular sized valve stems and Schrader valves. I would've guessed it had 1-3/4" lug nuts and the larger bore valve stems, but I guess not. Two valve stems and two CTIS hoses. 4 of the lug studs are longer to accommodate the nuts that hold the cover on.

het-29.jpg

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View of the wheel/hub with the CTIS protective cover removed. 1-1/2" lug nuts and regular sized valve stems and Schrader valves. I would've guessed it had 1-3/4" lug nuts and the larger bore valve stems, but I guess not. Two valve stems and two CTIS hoses. 4 of the lug studs are longer to accommodate the nuts that hold the cover on.

View attachment 462426[/QUOTE]

With the cover off it looks like they have been driving on my dirt roads, LOL
Busy looking wheel.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this in a rear tire yesterday. Was in there pretty deep, but didn't leak after I pulled it out.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use black PU-adhesive/sealant for such cases. It is much more rubber-like stuff and really sticks to whatever surface it was applied - fingers and skin included...!
I have even fixed small punctures without disassembling the whole tire/ wheel.

2cents

G.

Mikanator

Thank you for taking the time to write it all up and provide pictures. 8V92A mated to a 5-speed work out OK for most road travel?

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for taking the tie to write it all up and provide pictures. 8V92A mated to a 5-speed work out OK for most road travel?
Its a 45 MPH truck, with the planetary hub gears and a non overdrive transmission, its slow-ish.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another feature I liked: the KISS-steering wheel locking mechanism, pictured below- in the un-locked position.

G.
Funny story. A unit that was deployed received a full fielding (in the rear) of brand new A4 HEMMTs, mostly PLS varients. I was the BN Motor Officer and I would occasionally wander through open motorpools within my BN to see what was going on, and would contact the Motor SGT with a list of deficiencies and time to fix. As I was looking at these new trucks I realized that the one I was looking at didn't have a locking chain, neither did the one next to it, nor the one about 3 down. I was about to blow my lid to the NCO that he had a fleet of brand new trucks sitting in an open, unguarded motorpool. But something made me go back to the first one... I looked again, and lo-behold, there was the same locking method as seen here... Locking bar through the first U-joint, 5200 series lock... I was impressed. Then I realized we've been buying trucks for how many years? and have never come up with a better method for locking besides a heavy chain... about friggen time!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few more interesting things -

The passenger seat moves forward to allow passengers to enter the rear of the vehicle.

het-32.jpg

The rear seats convert into bunk beds. The top bunk is considerably more comfortable than the bottom, as you don't have to deal with the seat belts jabbing you in the back. They're not great, but they're not bad.

het-33.jpg

I found this toolbox and will mount it soon. It goes behind the cab on the passenger side, in front of the winch and above the spare tire. I believe it is typically on the armored HETs, but I have seen a few GL trucks outfitted with them.

het-34.jpg

M1070 and M923A2 nose to nose.

het-31.jpg

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some photos showing how the spare tire davit works. It stores behind the cab next to the exhaust stack when not in use.

het-35.jpg

het-36.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt,

Thanks for posting the pics of your rig so we can fantasize what a "big boy toy" would really be like :)

I know I have not seen one up close and appreciate your time in posting. Keep her coming.......

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow Matt! That truck is amazing! Thanks for the excellent write up and the pictures of all its interesting features!

You know what they say, if you want something bad enough, you will find a way to get it!

M925

How much do you pay for registration? In Virginia, cost is determined by GVWR. And a 5 ton, 33,000 pounds costs about $500/year. So 240,000 GWVR would be about $4,000 per year?

I'm so jealous....a HET makes 5 tons look tiny.

Last edited:

M925

How much does the GOV pay for HETs? What was the original price?

***Just saw the pic for $256,700. WOW...nice buy.

What is the KBB value? Just kidding.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks