• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from California.

11BC2

Hello.
My name is Paul, US Army Infantry vet, and recent purchaser of An M923A2 5 ton.
Looks like this will be a challenge to get the truck registered "as is" w/o a CDL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Paul.

Thank you for your service.

The MV Green sickness has no known cure.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

Welcome from Kansas City. Cali is one of the worst places to own an MV due to the cost and regulations. I do like the state as a place to visit. They just want too much money and control.

11BC2

I see my post was edited.
If I did something wrong, I apologize.

Even though I was an Infantryman, I was volunteered to be a driver for ammo section.
Got to drive the 5 ton at Fort Lewis, WA.

A buddy of mine is a CHP officer and has talked with his office's commercial officer about what is needed to lehally drive my truck
There a few options, none of them ideal.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pay $72 a year to register my deuce and $260 to insure it in CA. That seems reasonable. Far from being one of the worst.

Welcome from Kansas City. Cali is one of the worst places to own an MV due to the cost and regulations. I do like the state as a place to visit. They just want too much money and control.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and all this madness. Good luck with you new-to-you truck.

M818: $81 per yr. for "Historic" reg...$120 for ins. Oh yeah, CARB exempt [thumbzup]

quickfarms

CA has a very funny law that states with a class c license you can only drive a three axle vehicle if the GVW is under 6,000 lbs, yes 6,000 lbs.

The other issue is an A2 is not old enough to be historic if the paperwork is correct.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CA has a very funny law that states with a class c license you can only drive a three axle vehicle if the GVW is under 6,000 lbs, yes 6,000 lbs.

The other issue is an A2 is not old enough to be historic if the paperwork is correct.
Yeah, forgot to mention that...didn't want to get to wordy:)

Flyingvan911

I pay $72 a year to register my deuce and $260 to insure it in CA. That seems reasonable. Far from being one of the worst.
My apologies. No offense meant. I haven't seen numbers that low before for CA. Most of the post I've seen talked about how expensive it was.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Enjoy your new truck and figure out what is required in CA to get it on the road because you'll have to do it for your next truck, it gets additive.
JC

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So were you using the 939 series when you were in, or were you using the earlier 809/39 series 5 tons?

Welcome to the site!

11BC2

Welcome to the site!

Take a look at this thread it may help you with registering your truck.

California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...out-info-for-M35-Deuce-5-Ton&referrerid=19939

California Peeps: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77983-California-Peeps&referrerid=19939
I've read that thread a few times and find it helpful.
My initial plan was to remove a rear axle...not bob the frame...and get the rig registered like a pick up. Then when she turns 25, register her as an historic vehicle.
Doesn't look like I'll be driving her until she turns 25, because I do not want to deal with BIT inspections, CA numbers, CDL, etc.

So were you using the 939 series when you were in, or were you using the earlier 809/39 series 5 tons?

Welcome to the site!
Yes. For about one year, I drove an M925 or M926 (can't remember if it had drop sides) for our Ammo section.
Carried everything/anything from 5.56mm to 4.2" mortar rounds. Sometimes we'd help an arty unit and carry their 155mm HE shells.

11BC2

My understanding, after reading and talking to a CHP commercial officer, making the truck 2 axle it becomes a large pick up.
I do not want to deal with anything commercial.
Worst case, I'll park for a few years until she turns 25.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks