• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 No Mess oil and filter change.

frioman

I got the spin-on filter adapter from Scar59 and it was an easy install. The only decision making was which small O-ring to use. As I remember, the kit came with two O-rings. The instructions identified which of the two to use. I almost overlooked the print, but it's there and it definitely tells you which to use. I'm pleased with the purchase.

I got one of those large Northern Tool cheapo plastic tarps (about $3.00) and spread it out on the ground. I also went to Home Depot and walked the isles till I found just the oil pan I wanted. Similar to a cat litter box for a cougar -- it works great. It was also cheap. If you go the Home Depot route, look all over the place and ask more than one sales person. There was at least two different areas where they had plastic pan type containers. With this type of setup, whatever could possibly miss the large plastic pan, will end up on the plastic disposable tarp. Good luck. It's not that bad.

SLOrazorsedge

As above like frioman, I bought the adapter from Scar59. I Bought a large Lyle 7.5 gallon plastic drain pan that has a large "duckbill" splash tray/parts washer extension. I drove my M936A1 wrecker for 1/2 hour to bring everything up to operating temp prior. Once you remove the oil drain plug, holy s***....explosive comes to mind. The cheap tarp underlayment as above is a good idea. I did it over a dirt drive so no damage done. The instructions are straight forward and not a difficult install. The only issue is the written instructions seem to indicate using the thicker of 2 (#4) provided rubber gaskets over the center post referring to "NH motors having horizontal pumps". While our M939 motors have the horizontal pumps, both small rubber gaskets seem to fit. A quick PM to Scar59 (thank you) and a fast reply saved the day. Use the #3 rubber gasket for your NHC 250 motors. The instructions also call for torquing the provided bolt to 25-35 foot pounds. Problem is the bolt is a metric 24mm. I have a robust hand tool collection and my metric sockets only go out to 22mm, not many guys have heavy duty metric hand tools. Long story shorter, I used a 24mm box end wrench and Kentucky winged the torque...very clean installation once your all done!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents,
The adapter center bolt is a 15/16 standard SAE bolt. 12 point or 6 point socket fits perfect. Your socket set may not be
graduated in 16ths . Glad you got it torqued up.
JC

rionb83

Ok this is the newest post for NHC-250 spin on conversions so I figured I will post my problems on here. I got a M934 with NHC-250 (build date of engine is 1985). I cross referenced the part number, and aquifer a Fram adapter for 10 bucks. It looks like all pics on all the posts here on SS, but it is not the right one at all! First the outer diameter of the adapter is bigger then the filter head unit, and secondly it slides over the tapered fitting but seats on the ledge about half an inch from mating surface where the oring would sit. So I hopped back on here found the WIX adaptor number (24067), and found it for 18 bucks, and oops it’s the same exact problem.
So my question is there different sizes for the old cartridge filters? I don’t want to spend 80-200 bucks on what looks like it’s the exact same adapter as the 2 I got now. Other question is the WIX 24067 kit the same as the fleetguard 300923s kit? If so it won’t work either. Some say we use the that number even though it’s for trucks/engines older then the trucks instead of the newer one (300922s I think is the number for newer engines). Need help ASAP cause I really do t want to reinstall the crummy cartridge back on lol.

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok this is the newest post for NHC-250 spin on conversions so I figured I will post my problems on here. I got a M934 with NHC-250 (build date of engine is 1985). I cross referenced the part number, and aquifer a Fram adapter for 10 bucks. It looks like all pics on all the posts here on SS, but it is not the right one at all! First the outer diameter of the adapter is bigger then the filter head unit, and secondly it slides over the tapered fitting but seats on the ledge about half an inch from mating surface where the oring would sit. So I hopped back on here found the WIX adaptor number (24067), and found it for 18 bucks, and oops it’s the same exact problem.
So my question is there different sizes for the old cartridge filters? I don’t want to spend 80-200 bucks on what looks like it’s the exact same adapter as the 2 I got now. Other question is the WIX 24067 kit the same as the fleetguard 300923s kit? If so it won’t work either. Some say we use the that number even though it’s for trucks/engines older then the trucks instead of the newer one (300922s I think is the number for newer engines). Need help ASAP cause I really do t want to reinstall the crummy cartridge back on lol.

Buy one from scar59. That way you know you're getting the right one. Also, you won't find it retail at a better price. He isn't gouging the prices on them.

At a selling price of $130 he *might* be making $15 per kit, presuming he buys them in bulk. (These numbers are my speculation based on what I could find. If he were overpriced I'd give him some competition. As it is, I buy mine from him.... remind's me, I need to order a couple more.)

74M35A2

Kid pool sounds like a mess to clean up.

If you really want clean, you could suck it out through the dipstick tube. That’s how they do it on boats. Super clean process I do on my boat. Easy to make with 5 gallon bucket, lid, vacuum pump, and some tubing. If I did not have free access to a hoist at work, it is how I would be changing oil on my cars as well.

For my M939, I installed a Fumoto drain valve on the oil pan, which a hose slips over and I route the oil directly into a 5 gallon bucket with lid on it already. Tool-less oil change.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update Gents. My adapter distributor closed up and I cannot get Hastings to deal with me. So I am currently out of stock. The only part number that will work is Hastings KF 26. It contains the Baldwin OB 1368. Search these two part numbers, They are available however a little pricey. As for the filter itself, plenty to chose from. I'm still trying to get a new source, and thank all my past customers.
JC

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Till Scar59 can get restocked, if you are in need check B -line. I checked with Josh and pricing is $85 plus shipping. No connection on my part but when I got my m923, they were the cheapest around. Looks like inflation and metal pricing had driven the cost up!

Oil filter is extremely common cummings and can be found easily. I recommend an extra efficiency/filtration model and anything but Fram.....

http://www.blinefilter.com/contact/

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Till Scar59 can get restocked, if you are in need check B -line. I checked with Josh and pricing is $85 plus shipping. No connection on my part but when I got my m923, they were the cheapest around. Looks like inflation and metal pricing had driven the cost up!

Oil filter is extremely common cummings and can be found easily. I recommend an extra efficiency/filtration model and anything but Fram.....

http://www.blinefilter.com/contact/
Since scar59 is out of it, I'm trying also. I'm going to try to buy everything in bulk and put a fuel/oil/transmission filter kit together if I can hit a reasonable price point. Looks like a quantity of 250 is where the price drops. I'm thinking that I'd be sitting on them forever to move that many...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since scar59 is out of it, I'm trying also. I'm going to try to buy everything in bulk and put a fuel/oil/transmission filter kit together if I can hit a reasonable price point. Looks like a quantity of 250 is where the price drops. I'm thinking that I'd be sitting on them forever to move that many...
There is a member in the classifieds with a bunch of T-filters, not sure if gasket included.

A Florida member, PJ but can't recall handle had a ton of nos military fuel filters which are dinosaurs as not a common filter and pricey to boot.

Oil filters can be very cheap for common replacement to pricey for XE or XD models. Napa usually has a huge filter real sale once a year where everyone basically gets fleet pricing but it has been a while and I don't remember what time of year they do it.

good luck!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
Watch your overhead, in total I sold right at 30 adapter kits for the NHC 250. Had more fun doing it and helping others. All my trucks are now equipped.
Seems that everyone wants the 8.3 engine now.
JC

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.baldwinfiltersrus.com/baldwin-ob1368-full-flow-lube-filter-base-for-cummins-engines.html

Those have almost doubled in price in the last 4 years. That's the model I have in mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks